PDA

View Full Version : GOP votes to gut Office of Congressional Ethics

Contraman
January 3rd, 2017, 04:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/politics/with-no-warning-house-republicans-vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

This is something that, regardless of political party, I think we can all agree is really, really bad.

Edit: Bill was struck down less than 24 hours after vote. http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/us/politics/trump-house-ethics-office.html?action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

Vlerchan
January 3rd, 2017, 12:01 PM
I agree that this is really, really terrible.

Credit where credit is due, it is good to see the PEOTUS take a stand against it.

Contraman
January 3rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
I agree that this is really, really terrible.

Credit where credit is due, it is good to see the PEOTUS take a stand against it.

Although it's still a bad sign that House Republicans were trying to make that happen in the first place, I have to agree. It's the first time so far I've actually seen Trump take action in a reasonable way and show he's at least somewhat got his priorities straight.

azure moonstone
January 3rd, 2017, 01:33 PM
There was such a thing as an "Office of Congressional Ethics??" :lol:

Color me surprised that the word ethics could even be uttered in Washington DC without lightning coming down.

Uniquemind
January 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Although it's still a bad sign that House Republicans were trying to make that happen in the first place, I have to agree. It's the first time so far I've actually seen Trump take action in a reasonable way and show he's at least somewhat got his priorities straight.

There was such a thing as an "Office of Congressional Ethics??" :lol:

Color me surprised that the word ethics could even be uttered in Washington DC without lightning coming down.

You're not cynical enough. Your forgetting it's politics, you always have to consider that this entire thing is a public relations image move.

Hopefully it's genuine, however this particular action can be done by Congress and them alone without oversight by the Executive branch.

There are a lot of committees in congress that can just be dismantled at a simple vote by House Speaker and the Majority Whip of the Senate.

Also I believe you're thinking of morals Emerald, ethics is different, it can be a little dirtier if the payoff, as opposed to the alternative, is better.

Kind of like how "insider trading" doesn't exist as a crime for practical reasons for Congressional members. To the public that feels shady, but given the circles these people move in they're bound to hear important data while discussing how to draft legislation.

Porpoise101
January 3rd, 2017, 03:28 PM
The worst thing about the initial action was that there was no public vote when it happened. There was no way to see who actually voted in favor of killing this office. I wouldn't give Trump credit either for saving the OCE, if you read his tweets he calls the office 'unfair.' The saving of the office was more of an effort by GOP leadership and Ryan.

PlasmaHam
January 3rd, 2017, 09:48 PM
This was more of an effort by GOP leadership and Ryan.
The GOP leadership did not support this decision, Ryan and McCarthy both spoke against ethic changes, and said that there should be bi-partisan reform at a later point. This was an effort by the regular Republicans going against their leaders, not their leaders telling them to do this.

Vlerchan
January 3rd, 2017, 10:27 PM
The "Intelligence" briefing on so-called "Russian hacking" was delayed until Friday, perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very strange!

D. Trump, 01/03/2017, Twitter
Annnnd.., that inkling of optimism is dead.

NewLeafsFan
January 4th, 2017, 05:52 AM
I agree that this was not a good decision. Might be a sign in the direction American politics is headed in.

Porpoise101
January 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
The GOP leadership did not support this decision, Ryan and McCarthy both spoke against ethic changes, and said that there should be bi-partisan reform at a later point. This was an effort by the regular Republicans going against their leaders, not their leaders telling them to do this.
Yes, I actually was trying to say that, but my usage of it wasn't really clear at all. So I have edited to make sense.

But now looking at it, I don't really think the saving was done by the top brass of the Republicans. Apparently many calls came in congressional offices and it pushed them to stop doing it. This happened because:

Trump reached conservatives by at least tweeting it
Liberal and Center press went quickly to attack the move, reaching left and center

In the end, it was the Patriotic American People who saved us from our own politicians :metal::metal: