PDA

View Full Version : Self harming for no reason

SSsushiRolls
December 30th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I have depression and self harm because of it but sometimes I find myself cutting when I don't even feel sad. I just get an urge and do it. I think that because I'm addicted to it, I just go and cut now and then for no reason. Is it normal? Does anyone else have this?

Gwen
December 31st, 2016, 02:02 PM
I'm not able to be very helpful besides having anecdotal knowledge so I apologize. I believe that it is pretty normal, it isn't always about trying to feel something or turning to it after a day of shitty mood. I think some people who cut start to replace venting with self-harm and it begins a cycle of this constant repetition that you can't get out of, it becomes a part of your daily ritual so to speak. It becomes like a weird tick you don't even think about a lot, it just becomes something like washing your hands after every meal or how biting your fingernails when you get nervous or lost in thought. That is how I feel about it, not sure if that is the same what your going through but it sounds similar to me.

Pyromaniac27
January 8th, 2017, 01:30 PM
i have this problem sometimes too, its normal

FPFanatic
January 8th, 2017, 02:05 PM
As someone who has struggled with mental self-harm, yes it can become something of a subconscious action. While I'm not going to say it's normal, because self-harm isn't and hopefully you can get better, I will say that it does happen.