PDA

View Full Version : Artists of 2016

Bontigo Papi .
December 30th, 2016, 03:43 AM
This was truly the year of music .

Discuss , in your opinion , who were the best artists of 2016 , in whatever genre you listen to . Make it a list , make a seperate of genres or mix it up , it's all up to you !

My list

5. J. Cole
Although he was silent for most of 2016 , he released a great mixtape with his lyrical ability on display .

4. 21 Savage / Lil Uzi Vert / MadeInTYO
I know that trap artists suck , but you can't deny that 2016 was the year of trap music . The only reason they weren't in the 5th spot was because they were consistent enough to release projects this year , and it wasn't too bad to be honest . Got big expectations for them in 2017 .

3. Travis $cott
Basically , a great project earned him this spot . Although he released another project recently , BITTSM was his best work of 2016 . Good rhymes , great features .

2. Nasty C
Not well known rapper around the world , but he's the best rapper in South Africa . He broke out in the scene in late 2015 and released a mixtape this year that was really impressive . What topped it of was his mixtape extension , with a feature with French Montana .

1. Quavo
No debate for me . He's been on fire this year , although it was majority of features , he did spit some fire on those bars , bodying artists off their own songs . Releasing a album with Migos in 2016 , I have plenty to look forward too .

Missing out
Logic
Understandable since he is working on his album . he did release a mixtape hyping up his album , with it looking to be his best project yet .

Drake
Released Views to mixed reviews . Disappointing imo , couldve done better .

Kendrick Lamar
Quiet all year .

Periphery
December 30th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Not in a specific order, to me all of them are equal:

5. David Bowie
Ah 2016, possibly the biggest loss the music industry suffered this year. I have nothing but respect for this man and the impact he had on the music industry. We miss you Bowie. His latest album Blackstar is his testament, and that just makes it so much better. He passed away just 2 days after it's release, which just makes it ever so haunting.

4. Gojira
Their recent album 'Magma' is probably one of (if not the) best album released in 2016. While they're not the biggest band out there, it got them a Grammy nomination for Best Metal Performance and Best Rock Album. I'll be more than happy should they win this one.

3. Prophets Of Rage
Take one of the most legendary rock/metal (call them whatever you want) groups, take their guitarist, bassist and drummer, team up with 2 rappers, and you have yourself an explosive supergroup. While Rage Against The Machine may never get back together, these guys carry on the message and vision they want to spread with their music, and they sound great live, what else do you want?

2. Korn
So Korn's past few albums haven't been great, I'm a huge Korn fan and I definitely agree on that. Few months back however, they released Rotting In Vain, the lead single of their new record, and holy shit did it blow me (and al lot of others) away. Follow that were 3 other stunning singles, and a stunning record, which takes Korn back to their roots while combining elements of their new sound, and boy does it sound great.

1. Axl Rose
So this one got allot of hate, after all, it is Axl Rose. After Brian Johnson had to stop with AC/DC because he could potentially loss his hearing completely, the Guns 'N Roses frontment became his replacement. Met with a lot of controversy, many people were scared that he may completely fuck up, but oh boy were they were. To all of you out there that sold your concert tickets after you found out Axl would be replacing Brian: you're idiots. I have a lot of respect for both singers in general, but Axl really stepped up and did an amazing job.

everlong
January 1st, 2017, 10:20 PM
I haven't listened to much 2016 music, but I could name a few.

In no specific order.

1. Descendents - "Hypercaffium Spazzinate" isn't their best album by any means, but for a punk band that's been around for quite a while, it's a surprisingly good album. A lot of the album has a more lighter, "pop" sound for lack of a better word, but a few songs still keep the same hardcore feel they had in their 90s days. I also saw them live and they kicked fucking ass. Holy fuck. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

2. Asking Alexandria - I think "The Black" is their best album. I really wanted to seem them live a few months ago, I'm bummed I missed out. Even though I just got into them not too long ago, it blew me away.

3. AC/DC - Similar to what The Special One said, I think he does a good job singing for AC/DC. While I do prefer Johnson's vocals, at least for AC/DC's style, Axl exceeded my expectations. Though in the end, Bon Scott's vocals are the best in my opinion.