PDA

View Full Version : Lifting

DocMcLovins
December 28th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I'm 13 and skinny and haven't started puberty. Should I lift weights for sports? I know I won't get huge but will it make me stronger? Can it stunt my growth?

PlasmaHam
December 28th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I see nothing wrong with you lifting weights right now. However since you are young and your body is still developing I suggest you don't push yourself. Stay at a comfortable weight and keep at a slow pace. Rushing or too much weight could affect your development negatively.

Trevor.
December 30th, 2016, 03:56 AM
You should start lifting... It helps you grow stronger and bigger :) I'm 13 and I lift weights

DocMcLovins
December 30th, 2016, 05:25 PM
You should start lifting... It helps you grow stronger and bigger :) I'm 13 and I lift weights

Cool. What lifts do you do?

lemondrop
December 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM
All you can do is just some bodyweight exercises (pull ups,push ups,dips and etc. Work on technique ) and remember quality>quantity. Start gym at 14.5 or 15

You've just said some bs... How can you grow bigger if your test is low? Lmao.. Also, you'll wreck your discs and joints before you'll hit 18 ,then you'll grow like a baws in a wheelchair

Posts merged. Please edit next time. ~Amethyst_

Avidito49
January 17th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I'm fifteen, and I started weightlifting about three months ago. I turn sixteen this year, and my dad and I lift around 4 times a week at our local gym. My younger brother lifts and he's thirteen but he is only benching around two to three tens on each side. Right now I am benching about ten reps of 135. I think that is a forty-five on each side plus the forty-five pounds on the bar.

If you are just starting out, I suggest just like the other guy that you start out light. I am 6 ft. so i think its natural that I would lift more. But I started out with a twenty-five on each side. But I was already fifteen whereas you are only thirteen. Don't rush is all I can say right now. I have only gotten firmer chest and Biceps from benching, but I also do some free lifting with dumb bells. I had a guy at gym correct me on my posture and give me some tips for benching this morning.

If you have any older siblings I suggest you ask them, or ask your parents if they are around.

Safety first.

pconnor
January 17th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I would start off light.