PDA

View Full Version : Low blood sugar attacks?

Flannel
December 27th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure if diabetes runs in my family, but my mom has hypoglycemia.
I have recently started getting really low blood sugar. At first it was attack every few months, no worries it's becoming every other week. The most recent one i almost passed out. ( sorry for typos my mobile keyboard is lagging)
Does anyone know if it's more of a possibility that I have diabetes? It's becoming really bad and I'll be in California until Saturday so idk when I'll be able to go to a doctor

Microcosm
December 27th, 2016, 04:54 PM
I was diagnosed with mild diabetes a few months back. I haven't had an attack in a while, perhaps because I've been eating better. However, it always felt like complete weakness in bones and muscles, like I couldn't effectively stand. Vision would start to tunnel and I had to lay down. What always helped me was eating a quick PB&J.

It's certainly possible that it could be hypoglycemia or diabetes from my understanding, but I'm no professional. There is a test that your doctor can set you up with called a glucose tolerance test in which you'll be administered a drink (tastes like sprite soda with more sugar) which is very sugary, then your blood will be drawn every hour after for 3 hours. During the test, your blood is drawn 4 times total as it is also drawn once before drinking the sugary drink to establish a baseline. I'd recommend asking your doctor about this test as it will determine whether you actually have diabetes. It's kind of uncomfortable having your blood taken so many times, but it's worth it.

Flannel
December 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I was diagnosed with mild diabetes a few months back. I haven't had an attack in a while, perhaps because I've been eating better. However, it always felt like complete weakness in bones and muscles, like I couldn't effectively stand. Vision would start to tunnel and I had to lay down. What always helped me was eating a quick PB&J.

It's certainly possible that it could be hypoglycemia or diabetes from my understanding, but I'm no professional. There is a test that your doctor can set you up with called a glucose tolerance test in which you'll be administered a drink (tastes like sprite soda with more sugar) which is very sugary, then your blood will be drawn every hour after for 3 hours. During the test, your blood is drawn 4 times total as it is also drawn once before drinking the sugary drink to establish a baseline. I'd recommend asking your doctor about this test as it will determine whether you actually have diabetes. It's kind of uncomfortable having your blood taken so many times, but it's worth it.

Yeah, my body gets weak, I get sweaty, my ears started ringing this time, my stomach hurts, and I felt like I weighed 200x more,

Suppose I will have to do that, I hate the idea of that though.

Uniquemind
December 28th, 2016, 04:11 AM
Please keep us posted as diabetes tends to run in my family too.

I'm curious if I should get this test done just to establish a baseline for myself.

Flannel
December 28th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Please keep us posted as diabetes tends to run in my family too.

I'm curious if I should get this test done just to establish a baseline for myself.

I definitely will. My mom said she thinks it could be that I eat so much sugar that my body has stopped producing as much. (My like when you do drugs, you don't produce as much dopamine etc.)

bentheplayer
January 1st, 2017, 11:01 AM
Tbh, it sounds rather weird to be an untreated diabetic and be hypoglycemic. The thing about diabetes is that there is a type 1 and a type 2. In either types your body cells can't utilize the glucose in blood due to a lack of insulin or insulin resistance. Hence untreated diabetics will be hyper than hypoglycemic. How do you know that you have low blood sugar? Did you test your spot blood sugar level?

If you are gonna test for diabetes, they would most likely be testing your fasting blood sugar, oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) or HbA1C. Generally, the cardinal signs of diabetes are polydipsia (excessive thirst), polyuria (excessive urination) and polyphagia (increased appetite).

It probably isn't very likely that eating sugar is the main cause of diabetes since diabetes causes are thought to be multi-factorial.

Anyway whatever you are getting sounds worrying and you should try to see a doctor as soon as possible to find out what it is.

camo115
January 3rd, 2017, 03:04 AM
I know a supprisinly large amount of info about diabetes, here we go.

Hypoglycemia is a condition brought on nly by diabetes, it in its self is not a disease and i would be very very supprised to hear it not being related to diabete as said above. As such your mum cant have "hypoglycemia" unless its in its phases as a result to poorly managed diabetes which so often goes missed.

Diabetes can develop at any stage in life and type one is usually genetic, things i would look out for would be wounds healing slowly ( probs dont notice this as its over a few days normally), drinking an excessive amount of water and also urinating alot. These are the main signs however at the point where theres loss of conciousness it becomes an emergency, i wouldnt want somone who has unmanaged diabetes driving me for example. Somebody above said to eat sugery stuff which is good at the time but you have to follow it up with a complex carbohydrate like bread or potatos to keep yourself even.

However if you havnt had yourself properly tested and your mum hasnt (which sounds like the case with incorect terminology and any decent doctor would request to test children as its often hereditary) then i would suggest your bouts of loss of conciousness could be syncope which is dizzyness and sometimes faiting as a result of low blood pressure. Thisbis common in fairly small people and can happen pretty randomly but its common af when you stand up and get abit loopy for a second.

Because of this i would say to the doctor your getting decreased leel of conciousness and not that u think its dibetes as youll just be giving them tunnel vision.

army martin
January 10th, 2017, 03:37 PM
The fact that your mother is diabetic does increase your chances. Definitely worth a trip to a doctor.

jamie_n5
January 13th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I think the best thing for you to do is go to a doctor and get tested. Then you will know for sure and get the proper treatment for whatever is going on.

Jinglebottom
January 13th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Diabetes also runs in my family. My grandmother is diabetic, her oldest daughter (my aunt) was diagnosed when she was a teenager, and my other aunt found out she was diabetic a few years ago. It's a very shitty disease but they can do nothing but get used to it.