PDA

View Full Version : Fake News Story Almost Starts Nuclear War

mattsmith48
December 27th, 2016, 11:38 AM
A fake news article led to gunfire at a Washington pizzeria three weeks ago. Now it seems that another fake news story has prompted the defense minister of Pakistan to threaten to go nuclear.

The defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a saber-rattling Twitter post directed at Israel on Friday after a false report — which the minister apparently believed — that Israel had threatened Pakistan with nuclear weapons. Both countries have nuclear arsenals.

“Israeli def min threatens nuclear retaliation presuming pak role in Syria against Daesh,” the minister wrote on his official Twitter account, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State. “Israel forgets Pakistan is a Nuclear state too.”

Israeli def min threatens nuclear retaliation presuming pak role in Syria against Daesh.Israel forgets Pakistan is a Nuclear state too AH
— Khawaja M. Asif (@KhawajaMAsif) Dec. 23, 2016

Mr. Asif appeared to be reacting to a fake news article published on awdnews.com.

That story, with the typo-laden headline “Israeli Defense Minister: If Pakistan send ground troops to Syria on any pretext, we will destroy this country with a nuclear attack,” appeared on the website on Dec. 20, alongside articles with headlines like “Clinton is staging a military coup against Trump.”

The fake story about Israel even misidentified the country’s defense minister, attributing quotations to a former minister, Moshe Yaalon. Israel’s current minister of defense is Avigdor Lieberman.

The Israeli Defense Ministry responded on Twitter to say the report was fictitious.

“The statement attributed to fmr Def Min Yaalon re Pakistan was never said,” the ministry wrote in Twitter post directed at Mr. Asif. The Israeli ministry added in a second post: "Reports referred to by the Pakistani Def Min are entirely false.”

@KhawajaMAsif reports referred to by the Pakistani Def Min are entirely false
— Ministry of Defense (@Israel_MOD) Dec. 24, 2016

Mr. Asif did not respond to the Israelis on Twitter, and as of Saturday his message had been reposted nearly 400 times. Many of the people reacting to Mr. Asif on Twitter mocked him for his mistake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/24/world/asia/pakistan-israel-khawaja-asif-fake-news-nuclear.html?_r=0

PlasmaHam
December 27th, 2016, 12:19 PM
All this isn't a problem of fake news, this is a problem of people with no common sense and irrational judgements.

mattsmith48
December 27th, 2016, 01:09 PM
All this isn't a problem of fake news, this is a problem of people with no common sense and irrational judgements.

No its both a problem of fake news and stupid people running countries with nuclear weapons.

Uniquemind
December 27th, 2016, 01:32 PM
It's the sin of bearing false witness in the digital age.

People need to be careful with their words.

Falcons_11
December 28th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Just wait until Iran gets their nukes. Stay Tuned!

Ragle
December 28th, 2016, 09:03 PM
This is just the problem of unreflected folks reading those news and the media that spread it.

Dalcourt
December 28th, 2016, 09:17 PM
That there are enough people who believe every shit story on the internet that fits their small minds is nothing new. And that there are enough people out there who find it funny too feed those people with new stupid fake stories is nothing new either. It's just horribly and sad if this trend spreads to people in important positions now.

Microcosm
December 30th, 2016, 11:53 PM
The Hillary Clinton military coup would be funny though.

The battle chant: "I'm with her!" as a wave of radical feminazis wave their dildos racing towards the White House.

PlasmaHam
December 31st, 2016, 12:03 PM
The Hillary Clinton military coup would be funny though.

The battle chant: "I'm with her!" as a wave of radical feminazis wave their dildos racing towards the White House.

Exactly:D

Of course it would fail, because even though there are actual Hillary supporters who really seem to be in support of a coup, they don't realize that the Trump supporters have 99% of the guns:cool:.

Dalcourt
December 31st, 2016, 12:56 PM

Of course it would fail, because even though there are actual Hillary supporters who really seem to be in support of a coup, they don't realize that the Trump supporters have 99% of the guns:cool:.

Wouldn't bet on data gun thing all evil Blacks and Latinos who'd supported Hillary have enough guns to share, lol.

mattsmith48
January 1st, 2017, 11:57 AM

Don't you mean 99% of Trump supporters have guns?

Wouldn't bet on data gun thing all evil Blacks and Latinos who'd supported Hillary have enough guns to share, lol.

That's kinda racist!

PlasmaHam
January 1st, 2017, 03:09 PM
Don't you mean 99% of Trump supporters have guns? Works both ways.

That's kinda racist!
You do realize that peanut is black? And the Liberal Code specifically says that no one but white people can be racist.

mattsmith48
January 2nd, 2017, 12:13 AM
You do realize that peanut_ is black? And the Liberal Code specifically says that no one but white people can be racist.

No I didn't know he was black

Dalcourt
January 3rd, 2017, 10:08 AM
mattsmith48 I just made a silly joke of course as I guess PlasmaHam understood. Sorry but your discussion made me laugh out loud as I read it. Don't take everything I say so serious.