PDA

View Full Version : Unable to tolerate school, how to get out?

CanadianLynx
December 23rd, 2016, 12:12 PM
So, It has been a while since I have been on, I have been busy with school and what not... After trying a bunch of medication such as citalipram, trazadone, paxil and now zoloft, I have had some really werid side effects such as, Insomnia, oversleeping, not eating, unable to focus/concentrate etc... And they arent helping with the main issue I face, SOCIAL ANXIETY... I have been to a psychotherapist and I made it blunt to her that for the most part, my anxiety is not caused by previous trama or enviormental factors (ex. In a crowded situation thinking 'are they laughing at me?' etc...) It is caused by a chemical imbalance... At this point, after trying multiple medication, I have started doing worse in school... Before taking any medication (still dealing with anxiety by S.H) I was fine, I had all A's... Now in grade 11, I have been on some different medication (that take weeks to kick in) I am finding it very hard to concentrate/focus, and on top of that I find the medication isnt working that well...
And, Of course you guys arent my psychyatrist or anything but... Do you guys got any advice on how to get out of school, or home schooling/ Online courses/ co-op

- I am currently 16, so Dropping out is avalible with parent permission, and co-cop is also an option (go to work instead of school, and obtain credits)
What would you guys recommend? I am unable to focus/learn at school due to my medications I am trying, Should I possibly contact a psychyatrist and talk to them and maybe get a more accuraate medication? Maybe an MRI? Should I drop school in general, talk to a guidence councler about online courses or talk to my mother about home schooling???
- How would I go about doing these things? any tips?
edit: sorry if this is in the wrong area, but self harm is my coping way of all this so I guess it kinda fits? - if not, merge this in my other thread "Social anxiety,school, cutting"

Pyromaniac27
December 23rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
So, It has been a while since I have been on, I have been busy with school and what not... After trying a bunch of medication such as citalipram, trazadone, paxil and now zoloft, I have had some really werid side effects such as, Insomnia, oversleeping, not eating, unable to focus/concentrate etc... And they arent helping with the main issue I face, SOCIAL ANXIETY... I have been to a psychotherapist and I made it blunt to her that for the most part, my anxiety is not caused by previous trama or enviormental factors (ex. In a crowded situation thinking 'are they laughing at me?' etc...) It is caused by a chemical imbalance... At this point, after trying multiple medication, I have started doing worse in school... Before taking any medication (still dealing with anxiety by S.H) I was fine, I had all A's... Now in grade 11, I have been on some different medication (that take weeks to kick in) I am finding it very hard to concentrate/focus, and on top of that I find the medication isnt working that well...
And, Of course you guys arent my psychyatrist or anything but... Do you guys got any advice on how to get out of school, or home schooling/ Online courses/ co-op

- I am currently 16, so Dropping out is avalible with parent permission, and co-cop is also an option (go to work instead of school, and obtain credits)
What would you guys recommend? I am unable to focus/learn at school due to my medications I am trying, Should I possibly contact a psychyatrist and talk to them and maybe get a more accuraate medication? Maybe an MRI? Should I drop school in general, talk to a guidence councler about online courses or talk to my mother about home schooling???
edit: sorry if this is in the wrong area, but self harm is my coping way of all this so I guess it kinda fits? - if not, merge this in my other thread "Social anxiety,school, cutting"

i know it must be hard tollerate, but if you can make it through the rest of your schooling (thru 12th grade) you will have a far better job and oppertunity chance then if you dont. i highly advise you against dropping out.

Mina
December 23rd, 2016, 07:50 PM
Calm urself first - if u r so overwhelmed n can't settle u can't think clear. N if possible try to get off the mess - too much makes u feel cloudy I know cos few of my friends had it too. Dun drop out I know school suck anyways but u will relli have a hard time later on if you just drop out. Hang in there okay? It'll be ok *hugs*

CanadianLynx
December 24th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, I dont really plan or want to drop out of school, I just want this anxiety to stop... the medication the doctor is giving me is not helping, and the anxiety and stress just seem to keep getting worse, I dont think I can handle being in a classroom anymore, any tips to at least get out? like, homeschooling etc..? how would I go about doing that? - I'm not sure my mother would let me be home schooled or not so I'm not too sure how to start the conversation...

Pyromaniac27
December 24th, 2016, 04:49 PM
for most things like homeschool you just hace to ask

City Kid
December 26th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Cutting and Self Harm :arrow: Education and Careers

Uniquemind
December 26th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Homeschooling might be a temporary solution until you find what the right medication is for you.

But there's a flipside, homeschooling is lonely, and in some cases being in traditional school might be healthier and safer for you if you have a tendency to self-harm.

Try to graduate, but if you need time off to get situated by all means take time off, and repeat a year if you must.

The goal of high school is just to get a diploma after all, which doesn't get you much besides a minimum wage job these days. So don't feel all doom and gloom about it, instead be hopeful that time is on your side right now.

AdamDS
December 28th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Are you able to talk to your teachers about what you're going through? Perhaps they'll be able to adjust their ways of teaching to fit around you, or give you extra time.

If you can help it, I wouldn't suggest you dropout. For the most part it'd just make things harder for th future. If you can stick through it with the help of your teachers and parents then I'm sure you'd thank yourself in the future.

alphaSafaia
December 28th, 2016, 01:49 AM
This is a very delicate choice to make.

While I do not know your personal situation, from what you said I would recommend talking to your psychiatrist about new medications. If they're messing your mind up like that and not helping, they're no good. I would also talk to your guidance counselor and then possibly your teachers. Get a note from the phychiatrist explaining your situation. I've found guidance councilers make good friends when you feel you're doomed in school!

If you managed to be an A student prior to this, the medication is clearly causing issues and needs a fix ASAP!

I am in no way qualified to say this, but if you only had social anxiety without your medications, you may just want to go without. Try to conquer it without medication. It's not easy in any way to do that, but if you could try to begin to build a few friendships with people, they'll be a massive help.

I personally am not very shy or socially anxious, though I at one point was a "at risk" child due to my social anxiety and inability. I made a few friends and it honestly changed my life. I just grit my teeth and tried talking to some people I knew were generally friendly. They noticed I was "troubled" socially (and probably heard I was labeled "at risk," information spreads fast in schools) and they did their best to help me get over my social issues.

I doubt I had as bad anxiety as you do, but I'd recommend trying. Trying only has two outcomes. Either no change is number of friends, or growth! A guarenteed increase is always good.

Good luck. Definitely talk to professionals. I'm not in any way qualified to be one!

CanadianLynx
December 28th, 2016, 03:26 AM
These are all great responses, I have stopped taking my previous medication because it messed with my mind, and my family doctor said I should just keep taking/trying new ones.. which I dont want to do because of the side effects they may/may not have. I am unable to speak with my teachers... It's just too hard for me Idk, hard to explain... Guidence counclers... maybe if I start to do worse and they call me down I might be able to explain... but I would rather just sit quite in the back of the class and hop I do good. Maybe I could get my mom to call and explain? Thanks guys! appreciate it, any help is great.. this is a huge issue for me <3

Trevor.
December 29th, 2016, 02:39 AM

If your really having problems in schools and want to still go to college I think you should get online courses... You may need a tutor to help you b/c learning off a screen is harder than hearing it from a person. I don't think your mom will hesitate to let you join online courses b/c if this continue you may not even make it to college.