PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness

Bob billy
December 21st, 2016, 12:35 PM
Don't you think it is just plain stupid? We are having to go about our days worrying about offending people. It seems like you can't say anything with out a little snowflake getting offended.

Collinsworthington
December 21st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Yea, I do. But its just as bad on the right side as it is the left. You say happy holidays and every 50 year old white person goes fucking nuts. Or you exercise your right if free expression by burning a flag, and the president elect calls for a year in jail. Donald Trump sued the fucking onion over a satire article. smh. He's the SJW of the right.

Pyromaniac27
December 21st, 2016, 12:57 PM
god i hate pc people

mattsmith48
December 21st, 2016, 01:30 PM
I don't think PC is stupid, but I agree that sometimes it goes too far.

PinkFloyd
December 21st, 2016, 02:44 PM
The overly politically correct people drive me insane. I'm talking about the people that will get all up in arms about the term "radical islam." Seriously, that's considered offensive these days. Hell, I know a few people that practice that religion, and they use that terminology.

PC culture goes too far in a lot of cases, but we are in a changing world, and people need to understand that. Some people think that gay rights laws are "overly PC" and "killing god's country."

Vlerchan
December 21st, 2016, 02:50 PM
Discussion is impossible until we establish a definition of PC. As a number of posters have implied there's a number of them.

Babs
December 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
Extreme political correctness, despite good intentions, comes from a place of shallowness, guilt, and insecurity. For example, the only people who care about the words black vs. African-American aren't black people, but usually middle class white people who shop at Whole Foods. No one cares which word you use, but one might opt for the latter so that nobody barks at them for using the former. They get all into this shit because it reflects well on them to seem socially aware and sympathetic to the little guy's plight, to the point where they have to walk on eggshells every time they open their mouth.

Man, I'm not gonna go around calling black people coons or whatever else because there are things you shouldn't say. But you gotta draw the line somewhere, and I draw it at "um, xe is not a boy, xe is a pansexual biromantic gender fluid wolfkin." and shit like that.

Kahn
December 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM
The avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Working off this definition, I think that political correctness is useless and should be done away with, for the most part. There are instances where cautious language is necessary, so as not to incite or trigger different groups of people.

Porpoise101
December 21st, 2016, 04:37 PM
It's language, let the people be the arbiter of what is acceptable or not. That means that if people say something is unacceptable, then it is so. If it is fine to say, people will say it.

Banning words and banning PC language is so stupid.

Living For Love
December 22nd, 2016, 09:22 AM
politically correct (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/politically+correct)
adj. Abbr. PC
Conforming to a particular sociopolitical ideology or point of view, especially to a liberal point of view concerned with promoting tolerance and avoiding offense in matters of race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

Demonstrating progressive ideals, especially by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, especially concerning race and gender.

------------

The problem with PC is that sometimes it contradicts itself. While you're supposed to be tolerant towards a certain group, you're also, on the other hand, disrespecting the freedom of expression of another group.

ThisBougieLife
December 22nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Discussion is impossible until we establish a definition of PC. As a number of posters have implied there's a number of them.

On that note:

What is the difference between "PC" and respect? Is it "PC" to refer to people with the terms they want to be referred to with (excuse my double sentence final prepositions)? E.g. referring to someone with dwarfism as "little person" as opposed to "midget"? Or is this just a matter of respect?

Some people seem to think PC is synonymous with censorship. I.e. that we can't say what we really think anymore. Trump can attribute some of his campaign success to appealing to some people's feeling of having their ability to speak "the truth" stifled. But again, what are we calling "PC" here? There's a fine line between this perceived "truth" and bigotry.

Microcosm
December 22nd, 2016, 03:19 PM
PC in common conversation seems to refer more to the exaggerated demand for "respect." For instance, demanding someone say "African American" instead of "black" would be a "politically correct" demand.

With the example above, the obvious problem is that historically people called blacks "blacks" or "negroes" in a derogatory way and so some associate the term with racist intentions. Usually, though, the politically correct individual knows what the other person is intending to say and the connotation they are intending to put on it--that is, there is in reality no racist intent in using the word "black"--yet they still demand that the historical intent take priority. It becomes clear then that the politically correct person seems to be trying to *make* a controversy rather than trying to solve one.

Why would the PC individual do this? The obvious answer is to get attention. It is not farfetched to note that most PC people are young and young people are more wanting of attention. I could prove that with studies done on the subject or by personal experience, but I'm sure we can all agree on the typical narcissism of youth.

ThisBougieLife
December 22nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
^But that's the issue: who is demanding it? Is it simply because the politically correct climate has determined that "African American" is the "proper term"? I've come across many black folks who don't like the term "African American" because it makes them seem more foreign than white Americans who might not have even been in the U.S. for as many generations as they have. Many black Americans cannot trace lineage back to Africa for hundreds of years, yet some of my white relatives were in Europe only a few generations ago yet no one calls me "European American".

Tangent aside, it would have to be an issue of what the person being referred to wants to be called (in a specific case). If a black person prefers "black", then I would use that, if they preferred "African American", I would use that. In that sense I'm respect their choice. That's why when people make these blanket "demands" of what to say it becomes more unreasonable and more complicated.

The Byrd
December 22nd, 2016, 04:46 PM
Political correctness is gay :D

Microcosm
December 22nd, 2016, 06:17 PM
^But that's the issue: who is demanding it? Is it simply because the politically correct climate has determined that "African American" is the "proper term"? I've come across many black folks who don't like the term "African American" because it makes them seem more foreign than white Americans who might not have even been in the U.S. for as many generations as they have. Many black Americans cannot trace lineage back to Africa for hundreds of years, yet some of my white relatives were in Europe only a few generations ago yet no one calls me "European American".

Interestingly, the people who most often demand this change in terminology are not the blanketed groups--usually minorities--in question. It's people who want to stir up trouble and bring attention to themselves by creating a problem that isn't there.

Tangent aside, it would have to be an issue of what the person being referred to wants to be called (in a specific case). If a black person prefers "black", then I would use that, if they preferred "African American", I would use that. In that sense I'm respect their choice. That's why when people make these blanket "demands" of what to say it becomes more unreasonable and more complicated.

Definitely. Problems arise when there is no specific person being addressed, but rather a group of people. If I were discussing all blacks and referred to them as African Americans, then inevitably some people--many of which aren't even black people, just so-called "SJWs"--would feel that it is their duty to point out how offensive it is to refer to blacks as such because they perceive it as offensive to some small fraction of actual black people. That was wordy but I hope you see my point.

I certainly agree that this sort of nit-picky attitude with terminology and being offended by words rather than meaning is needlessly complicated and, ironically, serves to further expand racial divides due to the creation of perceived racism where there is none. Pointing fingers at the wrong person for the wrong reasons will never be beneficial.

ethan-s
December 24th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Don't you think it is just plain stupid? We are having to go about our days worrying about offending people. It seems like you can't say anything with out a little snowflake getting offended.

Oh my gosh yes, I am.

My mayor actually overdosed on stupid pills the other day. Maybe you heard? He changed the names of Columbus day and good Friday to spring holiday and fall holiday. Idiot.

Jinglebottom
December 25th, 2016, 01:39 PM
When you think about it, black and white are not even accurate terms to use... no one truly has black or white skin. It's more like dark brown and beige-y pink. :P

StoppingTom
December 25th, 2016, 02:34 PM
The thing is, political correctness is annoying used by the hyper-Left Tumblrkin ("White people aren't allowed to have dreadlocks, that's cultural appropriation!") but the right seems to confuse being respectful with OMG POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ("Whaddya mean I shouldn't use the n-word or tell someone they look like a queer? PC POLICE STRIKES AGAIN")

Stronk Serb
December 26th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Political correctness, third-wave feminism, social justice warriors... they are all a cancer. The best treatment for cancer is to be removed before it spreads. When that shit sprung up, tensions just rose up.

Voice_Of_Unreason
December 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM
The thing is, political correctness is annoying used by the hyper-Left Tumblrkin ("White people aren't allowed to have dreadlocks, that's cultural appropriation!") but the right seems to confuse being respectful with OMG POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ("Whaddya mean I shouldn't use the n-word or tell someone they look like a queer? PC POLICE STRIKES AGAIN")Both of those are extreme examples that really aren't too prevalent. But I also find it funny that you say that only the hyper-left Tumblrkins are guilty of one while the whole right is guilty of the other. But this isn't the screaming feminists and angry SJWs who are causing extreme political correctness. The reason I don't like political correctness, as I will show with my examples, is that it creates closed-minded and hyper-sensitive individuals and is used to silence dissenting opinions.

Examples:
Rodeo clown was banned from performing at a state fair after wearing an Obama mask, despite the fact that no one seemed to mind him wearing a Bush mask for 8 years.

Department of the Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said that climate change deniers are not wanted in her department, because dissenting opinions are so scary! Now recently we see evidence of the Federal government suppressing and outright lieing about climate change, maybe they shouldn't have been so closed-minded.

Mayor of Washington D.C. asked for Gospel singer Donni McClurkln to skip his own concert because he didn't conform and accept gay marriage.

The FBI has gone and purged references to Islam from hundreds of documents to avoid offending Muslims. The Army has also banned their soldiers from critizing Islam or the numerous acrosities in Muslim countries. This is despite the fact that the term "Evangelical Christians and Catholics" are on the internal terrorist watchlist.

Of course there are thousands of examples of students and teachers being kicked out of school or enduring other punishments for bringing up something to do with religion.

And this is only increasing, that's why I despise it.

Porpoise101
December 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM
My take on your examples:

Rodeo clown was banned from performing at a state fair after wearing an Obama mask, despite the fact that no one seemed to mind him wearing a Bush mask for 8 years.

Unfortunate.

Department of the Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said that climate change deniers are not wanted in her department, because dissenting opinions are so scary! Now recently we see evidence of the Federal government suppressing and outright lieing about climate change, maybe they shouldn't have been so closed-minded.

Actually, I support this. Why would you want someone in your administration (that implements scientifically-based regulation) to deny climate change (which the science supports)? Having someone who doesn't accept the facts we have regarding climate change is also bound to cause problems in an administration that is working to stop it. Having someone who denies climate change in the EPA is like having someone who denies gravity in NASA.

Also, I would like to know more about the Federal Government lying about this.

Mayor of Washington D.C. asked for Gospel singer Donni McClurkln to skip his own concert because he didn't conform and accept gay marriage.

I checked this story and it is actually pretty interesting. According to WaPo (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/donnie-mcclurkin-withdraws-from-king-memorial-concert/2013/08/10/3782b804-0202-11e3-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html?utm_term=.b513d7bff1b6), the reason is that this gospel singer had made a bunch of political statements regarding the ability to change from homosexuality to heterosexuality. The concert (with many other singers) was going to be on the 50th anniversery of the March on Washington, and the organizers wanted to promote unity rather than have a controversial figure be on stage.

The FBI has gone and purged references to Islam from hundreds of documents to avoid offending Muslims. The Army has also banned their soldiers from critizing Islam or the numerous acrosities in Muslim countries. This is despite the fact that the term "Evangelical Christians and Catholics" are on the internal terrorist watchlist.

For the FBI, all I could find is that they scrubbed references to Islam (http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/208698) on one of their website (https://cve.fbi.gov/) which deters people from joining terrorist groups. The argument for it was that it may cause more pressure and bullying on Muslim youths, which would only make issues of alienation worse.

As for the Army, I don't know about their limitation on speech. What I do know is that there is a culture of hazing in the Army (resulting in the suicides of Muslim soldiers), and that these measures were probably made in an attempt to stem that. As for the efficacy of these rules, I don't have a clue.

Of course there are thousands of examples of students and teachers being kicked out of school or enduring other punishments for bringing up something to do with religion.

I have seen many of these cases on the local news and such, and often they are justified. It isn't 'something to do with religion', it's people usually being intolerant to their students or their peers. There are punishments for that. Sometimes the schools do go overboard; in one case a kid was suspended for commenting about another student's fasting.

In all of these cases, I think you and I can agree that they have implemented 'PC' policy in order to make things better. None of this is done in bad intent (edit: except for the rodeo clown. Poor guy). With that out of the way, I am not so certain that all of these measures are equal. The only one I can definitively support is the EPA one, after that it really just becomes anti-bullying, pro-unity speech control.

In my opinion, PC stuff makes more sense for children, because that is where a lot of the name-calling stuff comes into play. When you are an adult, you still have ideas, no matter how closed your mouth is.

Trevor.
December 28th, 2016, 05:29 AM

I agree. People are getting easily offended over nothing. People need to chill and take a joke.

NewLeafsFan
January 2nd, 2017, 02:31 AM
I agree with what your saying to a certain extent. It seems sometimes that people want to be offended by you so they get the power of being able to report you and getting you sent to sensitivity training or even fired.

That being said we must do what we can to be accepting of others. If you disaprove of someones life decisions, that doesn't give you the right to judge.

Bluehumaninavacuum
January 4th, 2017, 02:15 AM
Yea, I do. But its just as bad on the right side as it is the left. You say happy holidays and every 50 year old white person goes fucking nuts. Or you exercise your right if free expression by burning a flag, and the president elect calls for a year in jail. Donald Trump sued the fucking onion over a satire article. smh. He's the SJW of the right.

A 50-yaer-old white guy going nuts because you say happy holidays (instead of Merry Christmas) is not political correctness. It's common sense. Those old guys know their shit, and they can see that us young bucks have no idea. That's at least what I'm beginning to see from spending more time with my dad and his friends; these guys are not out to get SJW etc., they are just more experienced in the game of life.

Collinsworthington
January 4th, 2017, 03:36 AM
A 50-yaer-old white guy going nuts because you say happy holidays (instead of Merry Christmas) is not political correctness. It's common sense. Those old guys know their shit, and they can see that us young bucks have no idea. That's at least what I'm beginning to see from spending more time with my dad and his friends; these guys are not out to get SJW etc., they are just more experienced in the game of life.

Soo, its justified to get angry about someone taking time out of their day to tell you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, but not okay to get upset over the persecution of Trans people. Makes sense chap.

Voice_Of_Unreason
January 4th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Soo, its justified to get angry about someone taking time out of their day to tell you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, but not okay to get upset over the persecution of Trans people. Makes sense chap.
By George! We can tell people to actually say the correct name of the holiday we are celebrating, but we can't tell people that something is wrong when they want to mutilate their gentitals! Oh the humanity!!!!!

Vlerchan
January 4th, 2017, 11:27 AM
[...] mutilate their gentitals! [...]
You are referring to transexuals as opposed to transgenders. Transgender people just identify with the opposite sex - and act and dress and so on, in accordance - but being such does not imply a desire to transition in such terms.

Though, if that was the issue, it would make one wonder why we don't exclude the Jews from civilization.

Actually, I support this. Why would you want someone in your administration (that implements scientifically-based regulation) to deny climate change (which the science supports)? Having someone who doesn't accept the facts we have regarding climate change is also bound to cause problems in an administration that is working to stop it. Having someone who denies climate change in the EPA is like having someone who denies gravity in NASA.
This, BTW. I also don't want affirmative action for goldbugs in the central bank either.

Collinsworthington
January 4th, 2017, 03:07 PM
By George! We can tell people to actually say the correct name of the holiday we are celebrating, but we can't tell people that something is wrong when they want to mutilate their gentitals! Oh the humanity!!!!!

So, if i tell you happy holidays, with a smile on my face after i bag your groceries, your warranted to get bad... And, its not your business if someone wants to mutilate their genitals... Its their body, not yours to control. Right wingers are just as bad as SJW's. Smdh.

Dalcourt
January 4th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Sorry I cannot be bothered to read through all the same old stuff that is thrown back and forth between the same people here.

Political correctness is silly...yes when it's overdone and sadly it's overdone a lot. Nevertheless it's a form of respect. You want to be treated and addressed in a certain way? Good, so do others.