PDA

View Full Version : Instant Messaging/Chat Apps and Platforms

Hermes
December 20th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Instant Messaging/Chat Apps and Platforms

There was a previous thread about the popularity of Kik so I thought where better to ask about what instant message/chat apps and platforms people use. So far I know about those run by Facebook i.e.

Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp

Those run by Google:

Allo
Duo
Hangouts
Spaces

Others

Snapchat
iMessage
WeChat
KakaoTalk
Telegram
Dasher
Tango
Viber

Have I missed any? Do any of these have interesting features that make them worth using or do you just tend to do and use whatever your friends are on?

drhalsey1
December 20th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I use Facebook messenger, Kik, and yahoo messenger. Each for talking to certain people thatthat have certain platforms, not necessarily for specific features or anything.

Uranus
December 20th, 2016, 11:46 PM
I use most of them, another I use which is mandatory between the store I work at and other specific locations is GroupMe

Microcosm
December 22nd, 2016, 06:09 PM
I like Facebook Messenger because it has a variety of easy-to-use features like GIF messaging and competing with friends in chat games. These features are just very smoothly incorporated into the interface and work very well for chatting and having fun.

Besides that, I just use standard texting for convenience. I have Kik but rarely use it. I used to use it somewhat frequently a couple of years ago.

Phosphene
December 22nd, 2016, 06:25 PM
I just use standard texting (when I text at all). I prefer to talk in person but as most of my friends live far away, I'll take calling over texting. I had Kik but deleted it.

Barbara.
December 22nd, 2016, 06:25 PM
I've heard of another I kids was talking about ,but have no experience with it ,is ICQ.

Dalcourt
December 23rd, 2016, 12:17 AM
I use mainly Skype these days...used Telegram and Kik too but not much anymore

everlong
December 23rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
I use Kik and iMessage for texting, Skype for calls/video, and Snapchat for whatever you'd say Snapchat's for.

Bontigo Papi .
December 24th, 2016, 01:06 AM
I just use WhatsApp . I also used to use MXit until they ended it in September .

PinkFloyd
December 24th, 2016, 01:17 AM
I use iMessage, Snapchat, Skype, Facebook Messenger, and on rare occasions, Kik

Flannel
December 28th, 2016, 12:25 AM
IMessage, Kik , Skype, Snapchat and Discord.

Rendez-Vous
December 28th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Facebook Messenger, Telegram.
VK is also hella popular here in Russia

Endeavour
December 28th, 2016, 11:25 AM
The only IM apps I really use are Whatsapp and Skype; and I use Snapchat from time to time. I used to use iMessage until I replaced my iPhone and Viber, but then I decided I preferred Skype.

Contraman
January 3rd, 2017, 02:18 AM
Discord and Messenger

Cygnus
January 3rd, 2017, 12:34 PM
I've used most of these at some point but now a days I've narrowed it down to three apps

Signal (not included for some reason) - It is a PRIVATE and SECURE messenger, which I use whenever I want to send sensitive information, it does not store things on a server, which means it is a great SMS app.
Whatsapp - Used by most around the world
Facebook Messenger - Same ordeal as whatsapp

Jinglebottom
January 3rd, 2017, 12:39 PM
WhatsApp = master race.

Ajmichael
January 3rd, 2017, 01:43 PM
I use snapchat, messenger, Facebook and WhatsApp mainly :)

nebula
January 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
I have Messenger, Snapchat and Skype for my friends and groupchats. I have Whatsapp for family.

Emerald Dream
January 3rd, 2017, 02:15 PM
The only thing I (semi)regularly use anymore is Skype, and that's only because of VT. I did have Yahoo a few years ago, but I don't use that anymore. I don't really consider Snapchat an app for actual messaging (I hardly use it anyways). I d/l Kik a while back just to see what the talk was about, but it seemed so shitty and meant for pervs that I deleted it pretty quickly.

Chaotic Trickster
January 4th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I use none of them.

ImCoolBeans
January 4th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I have Skype, GroupMe, and snapchat. I mainly use iMessage because most of my friends have iPhones.

garfield221
January 5th, 2017, 03:30 PM
telegram

Flapjack
January 15th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I just use facebook messenger tbh :') I have used most of them in the past but facebook is the best for me :)

Lukas1999
March 10th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I use Skype, Kik, Discord, WhatsApp, Telegram.

Beauregard
March 10th, 2017, 11:56 PM
I just use Skype.

christophe
March 27th, 2017, 10:06 PM

There was a previous thread about the popularity of Kik so I thought where better to ask about what instant message/chat apps and platforms people use. So far I know about those run by Facebook i.e.

Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp

Those run by Google:

Allo
Duo
Hangouts
Spaces

Others

Snapchat
iMessage
WeChat
KakaoTalk
Telegram
Dasher
Tango
Viber

Have I missed any? Do any of these have interesting features that make them worth using or do you just tend to do and use whatever your friends are on?

Kik and whatsapp

messid
April 2nd, 2017, 11:54 PM
I use FB messenger and Kik. I tried using Telegram but then I got bored with it because I only had two friends on there, lol

Chaosphere
April 25th, 2017, 12:09 AM
I use the messaging App Signal, because of it's security, but I basically have no one else who also uses it, so at the moment, it's pointless, haha.

Lost in the Echo
April 25th, 2017, 02:50 AM
The only ones I really fuck with are Facebook messenger and skype. I've never really had any desire for having a fuck ton of apps really. One or two of something and I'm good to go.
Whatever floats your boat though

refrigeratorx
April 25th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I love apps and keeping contact with people so I use a lot of them. I have Facebook messenger, kik, Skype, snapchat (my favorite), iMessage, groupme etc. the more ways to contact people the better!!

tigers
April 25th, 2017, 02:27 PM

Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp

Those run by Google:

Allo
Duo
Hangouts
Spaces

Others

Snapchat
iMessage
WeChat
KakaoTalk
Telegram
Dasher
Tango
Viber

I use kik and skype

AzuPazu
April 27th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Mine are:
* Facebook Messenger
* Skype (though I rarely use it)
* WhatsApp (only used to contact my teacher when needed)
* Snapchat

Others that weren't mentioned but I'm not sure if they count are:
* Twitter
* Gamester
* Instagram

tigers
April 27th, 2017, 11:16 AM
I dont have Facebook. I use kik, whatsapp and Skype.

clarissanyx
April 27th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I use standard texting or WIckr

boyfromthesouth
April 30th, 2017, 11:58 PM
i use snapchat a lot

tigers
May 1st, 2017, 12:09 AM
WhatsApp Skype kik

Lukas1999
May 1st, 2017, 03:02 AM
In the last few months there were a lot of messengers which I use now, so I decide to update my entry in this thread.

Here is a list of messengers I use:

Facebook Messenger
WhatsApp
Instagram
SnapChat
Telegram
Discord

Sometimes I chat on omegle.com too, but there are a lot of bots and writing there isn`t fun.

Nights
May 3rd, 2017, 02:40 PM
Twitter and Instagram both got built in direct messages

Zachary G
May 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
skype and yahoo messenger

jdhud024
May 24th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Only ones I use is the Google Messenger SMS app on Android, Snapchat, and iMessage/Kik if I or one of my friends break their phone and can't text.

Voice_Of_Unreason
May 25th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Discord and IRC are the only instant messagers I use.