PDA

View Full Version : Truck runs into Christmas market in Berlin

german_boy
December 19th, 2016, 03:04 PM
This just happened:

A truck just ran into a Christmas Market in Germany's capital Berlin, at a public square. At least one person was killed, several have been injured. The cause isn't clear yet, the police are assuming an attack.

A live video at the page of "Berliner Morgenpost" shows destroyed market stands and people lying on the floor. Several police cars could be heard.

Source: Tagesschau.de

Update 11:05 p.m. CET: At least 50 people were injured, several were killed according to the police.

Exocet
December 19th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Surely a "mentally-ill" person.

Leprous
December 19th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Surely you've been waiting for this to happen so you could blame all the Muslims in the world for this, you know it's true.

Can't you stop going to every terrorist attack thread to find someone to blame, and instead focus on how horrible this is? No matter who did it, no matter what religion they have, no matter what race they have, thosr things do NOT matter, they are not to be sorted in a specific group of people such as Muslims, these are not Muslims, these are fucking monsters. Now think about that eh?

Anyways, watching it on the news now and can only say I feel horrible for everyone at the scene and the family members of the victims.

Exocet
December 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Surely you've been waiting for this to happen so you could blame all the Muslims in the world for this, you know it's true.

Can't you stop going to every terrorist attack thread, and instead focus on how horrible this is? No matter who did it, no matter what religion they have, no matter what race they have, thosr things do NOT matter, they are not to be sorted in a specific group of people such as Muslims, these are not Muslims, these are fucking monsters. Now think about that eh?

Anyways, watching it on the news now and can only say I feel horrible for everyone at the scene and the family members of the victims.

Yeah,as if saying 'I feel sorry' or putting a german flag on my avatar will change anything. If nothing is done,this will just be the routine,and feeling sad,disgusted or whatsoever else will change nothing. If you guys think that walking with a flower and spreading 'tolerance' messages will make things better.... lol.

Leprous
December 19th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah,as if saying 'I feel sorry' or putting a german flag on my avatar will change anything. If nothing is done,this will just be the routine,and feeling sad,disgusted or whatsoever else will change nothing. If you guys think that walking with a flower and spreading 'tolerance' messages will make things better.... lol.

What makes me sad is you instantly assume all Muslims are bad people, is that true? No. I never said that, but you instantly jump to these threads to insult the Muslims, and does your shit talking achieve more than actually showing respect? No. It makes it worse, it makes people hate them even more, causing more racism, does that makes things better? If you say so..... lol.

german_boy
December 19th, 2016, 04:10 PM

I agree with you that the changing of profile pictures has a hollow ring.

Apart from that, what specific things would you change in order to prevent such tragedies?

Exocet
December 19th, 2016, 04:14 PM
What makes me sad is you instantly assume all Muslims are bad people, is that true? No. I never said that, but you instantly jump to these threads to insult the Muslims, and does your shit talking achieve more than actually showing respect? No. It makes it worse, it makes people hate them even more, causing more racism, does that makes things better? If you say so..... lol.

As I said last time for the Brussel attack,people will feel horrified,will use #prayforberlin,will hold flowers,people will put german flags on their avatars,maybe the eiffel tower will light in german colors,EU leaders will call for "unity",and two weeks later,everyone will forget about what happened.... until the next attack. And this will be always the same cycle.

Leprous
December 19th, 2016, 04:16 PM
As I said last time for the Brussel attack,people will feel horrified,will use #prayforberlin,will hold flowers,people will put german flags on their avatars,maybe the eiffel tower will light in german colors and two weeks later,everyone will forgot about what happened.... until the next attack. And this will be always the same cycle.

I never said I agree that these things help, and something has to be done. But purposely going here to bash on a group of people for what a minority did, that's just lame.

Porpoise101
December 19th, 2016, 04:34 PM
As of now, we still don't know who actually did it. It's premature to assume or take blame on any individual, let alone group of people. After all, someone in Zurich, Switzerland shot up a Muslim prayer hall today, so anything seems possible in Europe today.

EDIT: The licence plate is apparently Polish, which may serve as a clue as to where they came from. Or it may not.

EDIT 2: They apparently don't even know if it was an accident or not, so there's that as well.

PlasmaHam
December 19th, 2016, 05:37 PM
You realize that you are the one jumping to conclusions and placing blame, calling people Islamaphobic despite them just making a sarcastic remark? The only person acting irrational and rude here is you and your near religious obsession with defending Muslims. How about you stop being a hypocrite and stop blaming people for blaming people?

Now info is scant right now on the attack, we don't even know if it was an attack or just an accident. If it was an attack, just using common sense here, it would seem likely that the attacker would be a Muslim terrorist, given the fact that the majority of similar attacks has been Muslims, and that prior to this "attack" there was already intelligence that ISIS would attack Christmas markets(Source (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/christmas-market-terror-attacks-isis-9318520)). I'm not placing any blame yet, lets wait for the German officials to reveal more info before doing such.

german_boy
December 19th, 2016, 06:14 PM
The suspect was Pakistani, as the authorities confirmed. There aren't any more details about him yet, we have to wait for confirmed information. A terroristic attack is very likely, however.

Porpoise101
December 19th, 2016, 06:29 PM
The suspect was Pakistani
What is the source? I have not found this information.

german_boy
December 19th, 2016, 06:35 PM
What is the source? I have not found this information.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/live160453735/Lkw-Fahrer-soll-als-Fluechtling-nach-Deutschland-gekommen-sein.html

and the dpa (German press agency)

Porpoise101
December 19th, 2016, 06:46 PM
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/live160453735/Lkw-Fahrer-soll-als-Fluechtling-nach-Deutschland-gekommen-sein.html
I was looking at that, however it said that it hasn't been confirmed yet (according to Google Translate). Additionally, this same site claims that the perpetrator was a refugee, but this conflicts with him being Pakistani, unless he is some sort of ethnic minority from Pakistan. Perhaps he is Pashtun...

Also, this is shaping up to be really bizarre. For one, they found a dead Pole in the truck.

german_boy
December 19th, 2016, 06:48 PM
The pole is the driver whose car had been stolen in the afternoon.

It is not confirmed yet, but two independent sources say it's a Pakistani. The Welt say it's a refugee.

Kahn
December 19th, 2016, 06:58 PM
They found a dead Pole in the truck.

wut

Rip Mr. Polish Man

The pole is the driver whose car had been stolen in the afternoon.

Sad.

Vlerchan
December 20th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Telegraph is reporting that the suspect might be Chechen.

It's also reporting that a dead Pole was found in the truck - suspected of being the original driver. The truck itself belongs to a Polish construction firm which was stopping off in Berlin. Owner of the firm said his cousin was driving. So it seems like the original driver might have been murdered in the hijacking.

Sorry for the doublepost.

The Pakistani suspect was released as there was no evidence linking him to the crime. The perpetrator (may be/) is still at large. (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-truck-idUSKBN148287) ISIL is claiming it was their agent but there is no reason to believe that out of hand, I would suspect.

Nevertheless, stay safe Berliners.

Merged posts. Next time, please use the edit button. -Hideous

Porpoise101
December 20th, 2016, 04:50 PM
unless he is some sort of ethnic minority from Pakistan.
Well according the Guardian, who quotes De Maziere, the apprehended suspect is from Balochistan. This makes him apart of the Baloch minority, which is oppressed in that country. Turns out he is an asylum seeker as well. Everything seems to line up. However, since he is from a remote region, no one in Berlin has been able to interrogate him in Balochi.

Also, IS has claimed the attacks, but the degree of their involvement is not known currently.

Vlerchan
December 20th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Well according the Guardian, who quotes De Maziere, the apprehended suspect is from Balochistan.
Is this the apprehended subject that was released (see above) or a different one? I haven't been keeping up a huge amount with the developments.

Jinglebottom
December 20th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Da3esh claims every attack... just to instill fear in people's hearts, but the ideology they are promoting is very easily "diffused" I suppose.

fairmaiden
December 20th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I heard about this earlier today, this is absolutely heartbreaking and my prayers are with the families of those who died.

german_boy
December 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM
The suspect has been released. They are searching for a new person, whose documents were found in the truck (why do terrorists always take their documents with themselves?).

https://www.bka.de/DE/IhreSicherheit/Fahndungen/Personen/BekanntePersonen/Amri/Sachverhalt_Amri.html?nn=26874#detailinformationen67134

Jinglebottom
December 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM
The suspect has been released. They are searching for a new person, whose documents were found in the truck (why do terrorists always take their documents with themselves?).

https://www.bka.de/DE/IhreSicherheit/Fahndungen/Personen/BekanntePersonen/Amri/Sachverhalt_Amri.html?nn=26874#detailinformationen67134
I guess it's because they assume they're going to die as a martyr and actually want the fame/evidence that they're the ones responsible for the incident.

Porpoise101
December 21st, 2016, 04:33 PM
Is this the apprehended subject that was released (see above) or a different one? I haven't been keeping up a huge amount with the developments.
Yes. I did not see that, and now they have a new suspect. He is a Tunisian man, and is on the run.

german_boy
December 21st, 2016, 06:59 PM
Deportation planned - and failed

Apparently, Amris used several identities. In summer he was arrested in Friedrichshafen according to the German media SZ, WDR and NDR. The district court Ravensburg informed that a Person with the name Anis A. had been arrested during a routine police control. It is unclear why they have released him.

In June 2016, his asylum application has been denied, as Interior minister of NRW, Jäger, confirmed. The suspect from Tunesia should have been deported. Due to incorrect document, this hasn't been possible. Tunesia firstly denied that A. is a citizen. They got his documents today - two days after the attack. "I won't give any further comments on this", Jäger said.

Furthermore, he has been known as a potential offender by the authorities (as 549 other people, while, however, not all of their abodes are in Germany).

Source: Tagesschau.de

Porpoise101
December 21st, 2016, 09:44 PM
Apparently there's a whole issue where denied asylum seekers are not being deported in Europe because the home countries just complicate the process by taking them back, or they just flat out deny them which is what happened in this case.

Dalcourt
December 23rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Was just told this by a friend:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/world/europe/berlin-anis-amri-killed-milan.html

lliam
December 23rd, 2016, 08:14 PM
http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2016-12/berlin-breitscheidplatz-gedaechtniskirche-weihnachtsmarkt#english-version

ethan-s
December 24th, 2016, 12:16 PM

In other words, a radical Islamist.

Notice I said 'radical':D

Kahn
December 24th, 2016, 03:26 PM
In other words, a radical Islamist.

Notice I said 'radical':D

Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance bruh, there are no radicals, that's a racist assumption. Terrorists who claim their actions are for the glory of Islam aren't really Islamic.

:^)

Exocet
December 24th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Apart from that, what specific things would you change in order to prevent such tragedies?

Oh you know,if Europe had real borders,wasn't blind by all this human right utter BS and was sending all the illegal immigrants back (including those hordes coming in boats) maybe many death could have been avoided.

If mama Merkel didn't open the way for mass and uncontrolled immigration to Europe,maybe hundreds of people would still be alive.

There are a lot of ways to fight islamic radicalism. Maybe stopping to support so called rebels in Middle-East,stop interfering there,if they want to kill each others,so be it.

Stop closing our eyes to the activities of our so called 'allies' cough cough Saudi Arabia,Qatar,Turkey whatsoever.

Really fight extremism at home by closing all radical,salafist,wahabist mosques,deporting all those hate preaching imams,deporting those that spit on our countries everydays... you know,there are a lot of solutions,but that's the first steps.

german_boy
December 24th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Oh you know,if Europe had real borders,wasn't blind by all this human right utter BS and was sending all the illegal immigrants back (including those hordes coming in boats) maybe many death could have been avoided.

If mama Merkel didn't open the way for mass and uncontrolled immigration to Europe,maybe hundreds of people would still be alive.

First things first: It's Christmas! The celebration of Christian charity!

Ms. Merkel didn't open the borders. All of our borders with non-Schengen countries (what is basically just port borders, the coastline, and the airports) are protected and controlled. They outer Schengen borders aren't controlled well enough, though. I agree with you that they should be protected. Merkel isn't responsible for that, though. She's just responsible for "her" borders.

Asylum is a human right, however, it should be controlled. Those who were denied asylum should be sent back (not that easy due to their origin countries).

Exocet
December 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM
First things first: It's Christmas! The celebration of Christian charity!

Christian charity doesn't mean I have to open my doors to hordes of young men coming ilegally to Europe and storming our borders.

Ms. Merkel didn't open the borders. All of our borders with non-Schengen countries (what is basically just port borders, the coastline, and the airports) are protected and controlled. They outer Schengen borders aren't controlled well enough, though. I agree with you that they should be protected. Merkel isn't responsible for that, though. She's just responsible for "her" borders.

Merkel always stood by her open door policy for 'refugees',mainly directed at Syrians,but lot of opportunists (mainly men) from other countries saw it as a chance to enter in Europe. We were literally flooded because mama called them.

C'mon,there are no borders,Schengen is a big joke,how do you think an armed terrorist (Amri) left your country,entered in mine and left ours to Italy ?

Asylum is a human right, however, it should be controlled. Those who were denied asylum should be sent back (not that easy due to their origin countries).

Should,would,could..... you know and I know that a small part of those that are denied asylum are effectively sent back... and here's the problem.