PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Issue

Porpoise101
December 18th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Elaborate on your three most important political issues. Only rule is that you can't just say 'economy' because that is too broad.
________

Here's Mine:

Foreign Policy - I care about my nation's position in the world, because the world affects me.
Environment - The environment affects public health and keeping it healthy helps keep us healthy.
Government Debt and Taxation - I am worried about the current situation with our debt and I also have concerns about how we will get out of it.

Vlerchan
December 18th, 2016, 01:29 PM
This is specific to Ireland.

1. Political reform. For a number of reasons, Irish political institutions were set up to facilitate the localist and parochial tendencies of the Irish people themselves. It at first instance results our legislature lacking the policymaking now how required to govern nationally. It at second instance has resulted in cabinets that are wholly unprepared to deal with issues of national significance. It also results in Independents holding the national government to ransom over broadband access in their rural constituencies - or highly inefficient rural hospitals.

There have been positive steps made in the last few years, though. Our last two central bank chairs have been actual economists (well-trained, internationally significant ones) and our judges are nominated by an independent panel after an earlier fiasco. But more needs to be done. The first measure that should be taken is to start sourcing at least half of our representatives from a national-level constituency. The second measure to be taken is to empower local government.

2. Housing. There are currently 6500 people homeless and that's an increase of about 40% over last year. By the latest statistics, child homelessness increased roughly 200% over the course of 2015. Housing prices, despite the best efforts of the central bank, are increasing at a rapid pace. So, this isn't just important from a human perspective, it will also negatively effect our labour market in the long-run (as labour demands higher wages to deal with rent increases). This is a legacy of government intervention that resulted in inefficient development practices. And, as usual, a schema of zoning restrictions that artificially inhibit the growth of the housing stock. The government's recent actions to grant allowances to first time-buyers and introduce rent controls are only going to make it worse.

It's a supply issue. There should be a general relaxation of zoning restrictions and a tax on zoned allotment to stop developers - who are oligopolists in this market - from sitting on empty lots and waiting for the price of their land to increase before building.

3. The Environment. Because obviously.

mattsmith48
December 18th, 2016, 06:47 PM
1. Environment: Climate change is the most pressing issue of our time, this planet and the live it host is in great danger.

2. Electoral Reform: Our election system is unfair and the results do not represent what the population voted for, we have to be changed.

3. Marijuana legalization: Do I really have to explain this one?

Vlerchan
December 18th, 2016, 07:09 PM
3. Marijuana legalization: Do I really have to explain this one?
You think this is more important than 1. economic inequality, 2. gender inequality, 3. racism, 4. native land-rights, and the host of other social problems that Canada faces?

mattsmith48
December 18th, 2016, 07:47 PM
You think this is more important than 1. economic inequality, 2. gender inequality, 3. racism, 4. native land-rights, and the host of other social problems that Canada faces?

its gonna be legal in at most 6 months, until #2 is done most of what you said won't be done or its very unlikely to be done. atlease im realistic

Vlerchan
December 18th, 2016, 08:13 PM
its gonna be legal in at most 6 months, until #2 is done most of what you said won't be done or its very unlikely to be done. atlease im realistic
Had #2 been in place - and Canada had PR as opposed to FPTP - the Liberals seat number would be almost halved, Conservatives would remain the same and the Left would have risen a somewhat moderate amount (~20 seats). You would have had a coalition government: either between the Liberals and the Left, or the Liberals and the Conservatives. In Ireland and Britain the minor parties in those arrangements have historically gotten little done and then been cannibalised in the next election. So I'm quite sceptical that it would make a huge amount of difference to Canadian politics: Liberals would still be in power and the Left would still be getting little done.

If that's the reason you picked it, though, fair enough. I just thought I'd mention that electoral reform as being referred to probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good.

mattsmith48
December 18th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Had #2 been in place - and Canada had PR as opposed to FPTP - the Liberals seat number would be almost halved, Conservatives would remain the same and the Left would have risen a somewhat moderate amount (~20 seats). You would have had a coalition government: either between the Liberals and the Left, or the Liberals and the Conservatives. In Ireland and Britain the minor parties in those arrangements have historically gotten little done and then been cannibalised in the next election. So I'm quite sceptical that it would make a huge amount of difference to Canadian politics: Liberals would still be in power and the Left would still be getting little done.

If that's the reason you picked it, though, fair enough. I just thought I'd mention that electoral reform as being referred to probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good.

Alot of people voted for the liberals to keep Harper from being re-elected again, if the last election was under a PR system the number of seats each party got could have been very different.

PlasmaHam
December 18th, 2016, 11:13 PM
This is not a thread detailing your immediate or realistic wants. This is more dealing with what you think should be our priorities should be. If you think that marijuana legalization is a higher priority than hosts of other issues, then I suggest you seriously reconsider your worldview.

I also agree with Vlerchan regarding your #2 issue. Election reform will have minor if any changes upon the actual actions of government. Anyways, election reform is a two way streak that may actually hurt your priorities.

Here are mine:

1. Social Reform: You probably all know good and well that I do not agree with the increasingly common liberal social policies. I believe in an approach to social reform that does not classify people into groups like sexuality, race, or made-up genders. We should treat everyone as equals, with no groups having rights or privileges that are not shared equally among its members The left's approach to this has done nothing but polarize the nation. They are stroking violence by telling some groups that they are entitled to special rights, while telling other groups that they need to compromise their rights so that this group could have their special ones. Its a recipe for disaster and is leading the world down a dark path.

2. Civil Liberties: People should have the right to speak as they may without fears that someone will silence them because they "triggered" them. There shouldn't be "free speech zones" on public university campuses or tales of people being fired from their job because of their opinions. I support personal rights to privacy, I support personal rights to self-defense, I support the rights of the individual over the group, I support the right to freely practice religion, etc. There is no righteous reason for people to start taking away those rights because they hurt people's feelings. Freedom sometimes hurts, freedom sometimes allow stuff we don't like, freedom sometimes makes us feel awful; but freedom is a God-given right that no government has the right to strip away.

3. Government Overreach: I was originally going to post about the economy, but then I realized that most of my problems with the economy falls back to this issue. I personally see government overreach as a major detriment to the national economy as well as to individual and states rights. I would like to reverse the course the country is taking. Take power away from the the bloated and wasteful Federal government and give it back to the individual states, citizens, and companies. I won't go into detail, but both the government and the economy would be much better off if such happened.

mattsmith48
December 19th, 2016, 01:00 AM
I also agree with Vlerchan regarding your #2 issue. Election reform will have minor if any changes upon the actual actions of government. Anyways, election reform is a two way streak that may actually hurt your priorities.

The point of an election reform is to change the electoral system so the number of seats each parties gets is more representative of what the population wants, it would could have made a difference in the last election, because alot of people voted to against someone instead of voting for what they believe and want, and it wouldn't give 100% of the power to a party that got 39% of the votes, with PR they would have to negociate with work with other parties instead of doing what ever the fuck they want so than maybe then we wouldn't have two useless pipeline being build, or useless fighter jets we don't need, maybe we would have a higher carbon tax, or an earlier coal ban. If we don't than its what the people wants and you have to accept that and try to change their mind in the next election.

Flapjack
December 19th, 2016, 02:14 AM
For the US? Ending the widespread corruption and getting money out of politics.

Kahn
December 19th, 2016, 11:51 AM
1. Education reform. It all starts with a well informed, engaged populace. We have lacked such a thing for many decades.

I am a fan of Neil Postman's education proposals laid out in Technopoly, and The End of Education. Also heavily in favor of regionalized control of school systems.

--- EDIT ---

2. Immigration reform.

3. Removing the massive and absurd lobbyist presence in Washington.

Porpoise101
December 19th, 2016, 04:31 PM
For the US? Ending the widespread corruption and getting money out of politics.
I was saying for anyone, because that is more inclusive for all VTers. It also makes it more relevant for you personally.

So. What do you think needs to happen in the UK?

NewLeafsFan
January 3rd, 2017, 06:00 AM
To me the economy is the most important issue. Unemployment, taxes, inflation and interest rates are all things that effect everyone.