PDA

View Full Version : Cursive Handwriting

PlasmaHam
December 17th, 2016, 03:31 PM
You've probably heard people rant about how cursive is dying as a result from increased electronic word processor units (aka computers and smartphones.) However I have heard some people dismiss those claims as myths, that cursive isn't dying and that we are over reacting. I am curious of how many people here actually use or were taught cursive, since we are the generation that was raised on computers. Do you like cursive more than print, or the other way around? Does your local schools still teach cursive?

I personally use cursive as my primary handwriting style, I find it faster and cleaner. However my sister uses print most of the time, and the local public schools are not teaching it anymore.

Anniebanannie
December 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I learned cursive and I use it more than print letters.

Dalcourt
December 17th, 2016, 04:28 PM
I learned it but never use it. I always write in print cuz everything else is just unreadable for others. Dunno if it is cuz my teacher was bad or cuz I am left-handed.

Just JT
December 17th, 2016, 04:31 PM
My penmanship is horrible. So is my spelling and grammar. If I wright cursive I can't even read my own shit. So I usually end up printing instead. And still have trouble making out what I wrote. To I prefer to type, and there's still typos all the time but at least I can make out what I'm saying

Mars
December 17th, 2016, 04:31 PM
They didn't teach it in school but my teachers sometimes write in cursive and when I was younger they did

I learned cursive and print at the same time I think, and my handwriting is like a sloppy mix of both

bonbon
December 17th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I learned cursive, and I nearly always write using it when handwriting (and that happens daily)

Jinglebottom
December 17th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Print letters totally suck! I much prefer writing in cursive, that's what I've been taught all my life. At school, 90% of the work is done on paper, not computers, so I just find it easier to write in cursive.

Flapjack
December 17th, 2016, 04:45 PM
In primary school (English kids from 5-11) I was taught cursive handwriting but when I got to high school they stopped teaching it and slightly discouraged it as cursive can be really messy and hard to read (especially when writing in a rush).

I personally think cursive handwriting is sooo pretty and I can still write in that style but tbh I write sooo fast my handwriting is a mess so I separate my letters in an attempt to make it easier to read. .

The Byrd
December 17th, 2016, 06:15 PM
In primary school I was taught cursive and used it all the time. Then when I went to high school I starting writing in print, until just a few months ago, and now I fade in and out of the two depending on the word.

Porpoise101
December 17th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I write in this weird mash-up between cursive and print usually. I was taught both. If given the opportunity, however, I will use a computer to type because that is much faster. Writing pure print in my opinion is slower than cursive, but writing easily legible cursive takes time as well. This is why I write the way I do.

Microcosm
December 17th, 2016, 07:24 PM
It's something I see as a non-issue that really only concerns traditionalists. I've heard some people berate the school system for not teaching anymore, but I think that as long as your handwriting is legible, then that's good enough.

However, it would be nice to see optional classes perhaps that teach kids cursive if they want to learn it. A penmanship class or workshop would be very interesting.

Devinsoccer
December 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM
I think it is dyimg out. I learned cursive(script) in second, matered it in 4th learned it again in 7th for no reason. I still wright in print, because my english teacher does not know how to read script. Honestly I'm trying to make the switch from what we call normal handwrightimg to script. My english teacher will need to lear how to read it.

Uranus
December 17th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I hardly ever use it. Only recently this semester in college for tests, but in next semester it's all online so that'll be it for cursive. Now, I really only use it when signing for a package that comes in to the store.

azure moonstone
December 17th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I use cursive writing occasionally. I think I am more likely to mix a few cursive letters into my regular printed writing.

Abyssal Echo
December 17th, 2016, 10:53 PM
My penmanship sucks... I use a mix of cursive and printing.

Uniquemind
December 17th, 2016, 11:39 PM
I was taught cursive for 3 weeks in 3rd grade, and it has not been required since.

I was also privately tutored in cursive during 2 consecutive summer vacations until 6th grade.

The only time I use it is when I right old-fashioned, fancy personal letters. If not for that I would most likely have lost the skill.

I also use it for end of the year "yearbook" signing at school.

--

I am surprised at the responses here that so many boys know cursive.

Until this thread, I thought the skill was kept in our culture because of women, because cursive just looks artistically better than print, and the appeal on that reasoning I've always seen as a female thing.

Babs
December 19th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I learned cursive at a young age and I try to use it pretty frequently because I've always wanted to have nice handwriting.

StoppingTom
December 21st, 2016, 02:29 PM
I was taught cursive, but my print is much nicer (it looks like a typewriter!!) so I only use it for signing documents and checks.

PinkFloyd
December 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM
I was taught cursive, but my class (class of 2016) was one of the last to learn it because they stopped teaching it in 2010. I personally don't like cursive. I am still able to do it, but I prefer using the traditional print method.

mick01
December 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM
I learned cursive and use it but my little brother who is 12 doesn't know cursive since he wasn't taught it in school.

Trevor.
December 29th, 2016, 02:52 AM
You've probably heard people rant about how cursive is dying as a result from increased electronic word processor units (aka computers and smartphones.) However I have heard some people dismiss those claims as myths, that cursive isn't dying and that we are over reacting. I am curious of how many people here actually use or were taught cursive, since we are the generation that was raised on computers. Do you like cursive more than print, or the other way around? Does your local schools still teach cursive?

I personally use cursive as my primary handwriting style, I find it faster and cleaner. However my sister uses print most of the time, and the local public schools are not teaching it anymore.

Sorry but I disagree greatly. When I was in 3rd grade... So 5years ago cursive was mandatory to learn but as the years passes teacher saw that the need for cursive writing wasn't big... Now I know some 3rd grader that didn't have to learn it. Cursive writing was a old fashion type of writing. In the world we live in today people may be impress with cursive writing but it isn't something every find easy.

WeWalkLikeLions
January 3rd, 2017, 12:36 AM
I was taught cursive in third grade, but I prefer to print. At the very least, my handwriting looks much better in print.

Cassius14
January 3rd, 2017, 08:21 AM
Friends tell me my cursive handwriting looks neat. Print looks nicer but takes longer

auser_name
January 3rd, 2017, 09:29 AM
I was. It was the only way I was allowed to write.

lyhom
January 4th, 2017, 09:41 PM
I was taught cursive for a bit in elementary school but it wasn't really considered important and when I have to write by hand I generally just use print letters

I can kind of write my name in cursive though lmao

brandon9
January 4th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I have never officially learned to write in cursive, however I did teach myself a few years back. I prefer print to cursive, cursive to me is sloppy unless written by a professional calligraphy expert. That being said, nearly everything I do is computerized for college, and when I do hand-write long pieces I'm told my print is very neat.

Artic
January 5th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I prefer writing in cursive i find it faster and more flowing, the majority of my friends write in print although we were taught cursive in primary school.

everlong
January 5th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I tend to write cursive by accident because I write so fast and sloppily

Bob billy
January 7th, 2017, 03:55 AM
I write more legibly with cursive, but I don't use it because I write slower. It's a good thing to learn so you can read signatures and old documents.

counterparts
January 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM
I was taught cursive up until about fourth grade, then it sort of stopped being all that important in the curriculum. I've forgotten how to write anything in cursive besides my name and honestly I prefer writing in print; was never really that good at cursive in the first place.

FPFanatic
January 7th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I write exclusively in cursive except for my capital letters and when I'm writing variables in math

TheTallGuyPH
January 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Do I write in cursive: Yes. I prefer it over print. It's a lot faster when note-taking.

I live in the Philippines and study here. In Philippines, you are required to learn cursive. First in pencil and as we reach grade 4, with ballpoint pens. In highschool, we use cursive in writing essays. Now... It is up to the student what to use. I do cursive in math, but not in the variables and symbols. Same as science.

Also, cursive writing is good as a design in your works. :D

ClaraWho
January 13th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Just to say the whole point of cursive is to make writing faster. Having said that I've always been a slow writer and exclusively have written in print for the last decade or so... don't see it changing anytime soon! I guess with technology it is becoming less important, but it does make exam essays more difficult with time constraints... sometimes I get jealous.

~ Clara

lliam
January 14th, 2017, 01:28 AM
https://picload.org/image/rorgwira/cursive.jpg