PDA

View Full Version : LA County Considers $1 Million in Taxpayer Funds To Help Illegals Fight Deportation

Kahn
December 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
LA County supervisors Janice Hahn and Hilda Solis are asking their colleagues to join them in setting aside $1 million in county funds that can be used to help illegal immigrants fight deportation.

It is estimated that LA County’s illegal immigrant population is over 800,000, and the $1 million in funding would come from taxpayers’ pockets.

According to KPCC, supervisor Hahn’s spokeswoman Liz Odendahl explained that “The idea is to set up the legal fund with $1 million in the first year, then obtain matching funds from public or private donors.” The move is a preemptive one, aimed at short-circuiting President-elect Donald Trump’s pledge “to deport millions of immigrants living in the country illegally.”

Hahn said, “Many immigrants who are facing deportation have a legal avenue to stay in this country, but they are not aware of it because they don’t have legal representation.”

The push to use taxpayer funds to benefit illegal immigrants is not new to California. In 2014 Governor Jerry Brown (D) “authorized about $3 million annually for nonprofit legal services providers to represent unaccompanied minors arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border.”

Breitbart News previously reported that amnesty groups in California are working to deny federal access to the database containing names of gang members in the state. This, too, is a preemptive move aimed at preventing members of the Trump administration from searching the database for illegals, who may thereafter be deported. The Voice of OC quoted Trump from a post-election 60 Minutes interview in which he “vowed to immediately deport as many as three million undocumented immigrants, specifically those with criminal records such as gang members and drug dealers.”

The proposal to use $1 million in taxpayer funds to protect illegals will be voted on next week.

Source (https://archive.is/vryTO)

---

Thoughts?

Professional Russian
December 17th, 2016, 12:18 PM
no that's fucking stupid. why the fuck are they spending tax payer money on illegals? there's a citizenship program to become a citizen of the U.S. that tax payers pay for. use that. I might add that we have work visas as well. if you cant use those options then thats too bad.

Vlerchan
December 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM
no that's fucking stupid. why the fuck are they spending tax payer money on illegals? there's a citizenship program to become a citizen of the U.S. that tax payers pay for. use that.
From a perspective that seeks cost-benefit maximisation for citizens, the costs from deporting California's illegal immigrant stock probably far exceed 1 million dollars, especially in the short- to medium-run. You can still be uncomfortable with helping illegal immigrants remain resident in the United States, of course, but that's probably being employed quite reasonably here.

Professional Russian
December 17th, 2016, 12:28 PM
From a perspective that seeks cost-benefit maximisation for citizens, the costs from deporting California's illegal immigrant stock probably far exceed 1 million dollars, especially in the short- to medium-run. You can still be uncomfortable with helping illegal immigrants remain resident in the United States, of course, but that's probably being employed quite reasonably here.

Well yeah deportation is more expensive i agree but its just the stupidity behind it. theres multiple ways to enter the U.S. legally i dont know why those cant be used. I don't have a problem with legal immigration at all. The biggest concern i have are the illegals that are pushing drugs and other things. I know the response is going to be "But they just want jobs" yeah some do, get a green card. But its known that theres drug pushers and other bad people coming in illegally to.

Voice_Of_Unreason
December 17th, 2016, 01:30 PM
With Obama the city could have gotten away with this, not so much with Trump. The one aspect that people constantly ignore when it comes to these sanctuary cities, illegal immigration, and the such, is that it is entirely illegal under Federal law. If LA county does pass this, then Trump with full authority of the all-ready existing laws can easily come in and put a stop to it, and possibly even press Federal charges against the county.

Here is a brief excerpt of the Federal Law I referred to:

(a) Criminal penalties
(1)
(A) Any person who—
(i) knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;

(ii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;

(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;

(iv) encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or

(v)
(I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or
(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,
shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(B) A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—

(i) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i) or (v)(I) or in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), or (iv) in which the offense was done for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both;

(ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;

(iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and

(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both.
Source (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324)

I don't think that LA county will get very far with this if Trump proceeds with his threats to cut off funding.

Flapjack
December 17th, 2016, 02:14 PM
The money is for legal representation so yeah I support the money going to them.

Vlerchan
December 17th, 2016, 02:26 PM
[...] deportation is more expensive [...]
I'm not just talking about the deportation costs. I am also talking about the costs that result from a sudden slump in aggregate demand, and increased search-frictions for employers across the long-run.

[...] i dont know why those cant be used [...]
H1As, H1Bs, L1s, etc. short-term work visas reach the maximum printing threshold each year. Given quotas, and so on, the wait times for non-EB1 long-term visas have been historically quite large. Though, the wait times seems to have dropped substantially in the last number of years.

Nevertheless, I feel I should point out that I would much prefer that illegal immigration was drastically reduced. I am just sceptical that the current approach to it is reasonable.

The one aspect that people constantly ignore when it comes to these sanctuary cities, illegal immigration, and the such, is that it is entirely illegal under Federal law.
It's also illegal, under federal law, to sell cannabis but that's the case in multiple states. The federal government is limited in terms of enforcement and relies on the states to a considerable extent.

So, as far as I am aware, Trump has two options.

1. Threaten to withhold funding and hope for compliance. In which case a number of cities have declared that they still won't enforce the laws.

2. Federalise that state's national guard and militarily enforce compliance. That has never happened and is very unlikely to ever happen.

It's worth noting that I actually disagree with the lack of a direct enforcement mechanism for the federal government but then I am quite supportive of a relatively centralised state.

I don't think that LA county will get very far with this if Trump proceeds with his threats to cut off funding.
I wouldn't underestimate people's tenacity when it comes to standing up against governments they believe are acting in err.