PDA

View Full Version : 4 Your Eyez Only

Bontigo Papi .
December 13th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Can we just take a moment to discuss the greatness that might be J. Cole's best album yet ?

IMO , best album of 2016 , hip hop , of course .

Flapjack
December 14th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I don't even know who he is XD Could you link some of his best songs?:)

Mars
December 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM
My friends hate on J Cole so much but his music isn't bad. I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever heard but it's not bad. I am interested tho to hear his new album.

I don't even know who he is XD Could you link some of his best songs?:)

imgYGfH2yNM

Bontigo Papi .
December 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Well , Cole has come a long way since he started his own label . It's surprising that y'all haven't heard or don't know who he is . I know people have different opinions on their favourite MCs but Cole shouldn't be slept .

His album "2014 Forest Hills Drive" went double platinum without features . If that's not enough for you to attempt to listen to him , then I don't know .

Periphery
December 15th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, I have never heard of him appart from seeing an album review after I saw this thread that said it was alright. If it's not your stereotypical "lol moneyz I fuq lotz of biches 'm im rich m9" type of hip hop/rap whatever I may be willing to give it a shot though

Bontigo Papi .
December 15th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Hmmm, I have never heard of him appart from seeing an album review after I saw this thrraf that said it was alright. If it's not your stereotypical "lol moneyz I fuq lotz of biches 'm im rich m9" type of hip hop/rap whatever I may be willing to give it a shot though

Definitely not . The album is a pure example of it .

The album is basically a story of his friends , who lives a life of crime and selling drugs , but as it goes on , by falls in love and has a daughter . The last song on the album which is also titled "4 Your Eyez Only" sums up the album , and it has some of the realist lines .

brandon9
December 15th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I've liked J. Cole since I first heard his "The Warm Up" mixtape. I don't like all of his music, but I am a fan of most of it, and 2014 Forest Hills Drive was one of the best rap albums I think of the 2000s. He's very good at what he does, is definitely worth a listen if you're more into the serious-style rap.

I haven't heard the entire 4 Your Eyez Only album yet, but what i have heard is amazing. Cole is definitely still slept on imo.

Bontigo Papi .
December 15th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Cole is definitely still slept on imo.

Massively underrated , and he's one of the top rappers of this generation .

brandon9
December 15th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Massively underrated , and he's one of the top rappers of this generation .

I would agree with that. I like serious rap more than anything, stuff that actually has thought behind it as opposed to the "fuck butches, get money, do-so-much-crack-cocaine-that-I-hallucinate-a-conversation-with-God-that-has-the-voice-of-Future" shit that has become so mainstream now, and I think J. Cole embodies that pretty well. He's definitely in my top 5, has been since I heard him.

Of the more recent class of rappers that have blown up in this decade, I would say J. Cole is second only to pre-TPAB Kendrick Lamar, and that is a very very close and difficult battle either way. Want a comparison, go listen to the Black Friday remixes where Cole and Kendrick swap beats, that shows the closeness in skill these two have.

Bontigo Papi .
December 15th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Of the more recent class of rappers that have blown up in this decade, I would say J. Cole is second only to pre-TPAB Kendrick Lamar, and that is a very very close and difficult battle either way. Want a comparison, go listen to the Black Friday remixes where Cole and Kendrick swap beats, that shows the closeness in skill these two have.

That's also true , Kendrick had the game for a few years now , but I just prefer J. Cole . The Black Friday remixes were better pieces of music than most rappers projects in 2015 . That's class if you're looking for it . now just for the collab project next .

brandon9
December 15th, 2016, 03:38 PM
That's also true , Kendrick had the game for a few years now , but I just prefer J. Cole . The Black Friday remixes were better pieces of music than most rappers projects in 2015 . That's class if you're looking for it . now just for the collab project next .

I like the older Kendrick Lamar, his Section.80 and Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City albums were amazing, but I really disliked To Pimp A Butterfly, which apparently puts me in the "uneducated hip-hop bandwagoners" group lol. I just prefer his early style, like he had on songs like M.A.A.D. City, HiiiPower, ADHD, etc. The only song I really liked off TPAB was Blacker The Berry, and only because it reminded me of the style of Lamar I like. But his Black Friday remix is by far my favorite song of his, he kills that five ways to Sunday imo.

I would love a Kendrick/Cole collab album, but I thought I saw somewhere that they had scrapped that plan, which is a shame. That album could qualify as album of the century off the potential alone lol.

Bontigo Papi .
December 15th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I would love a Kendrick/Cole collab album, but I thought I saw somewhere that they had scrapped that plan, which is a shame. That album could qualify as album of the century off the potential alone lol.

Nah , I saw on Instagram that it had been confirmed but the source isn't exactly reliable so I'm just waiting for concrete confirmation . It was probably scraped because Kendrick has been off the grid lately and Cole was working on 4 Your Eyez Only .

brandon9
December 18th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Nah , I saw on Instagram that it had been confirmed but the source isn't exactly reliable so I'm just waiting for concrete confirmation . It was probably scraped because Kendrick has been off the grid lately and Cole was working on 4 Your Eyez Only .

These two will run the game for the next 10 years if they keep up what they're doing. I think if Kendrick goes back to what he used to do in his early days, he'll continue to do well, and it's only a matter of time before Cole gets the credit he deserves.

Bontigo Papi .
December 19th, 2016, 01:02 AM
These two will run the game for the next 10 years if they keep up what they're doing. I think if Kendrick goes back to what he used to do in his early days, he'll continue to do well, and it's only a matter of time before Cole gets the credit he deserves.

Have you seen MTV's hottest MCs list ? Kendrick was in 8th and Cole wasn't even included . 21 Savage and Lil Uzi Vert should've been replaced with Cole and Logic in my opinion , two of the best artists and highly underrated .

brandon9
December 19th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Have you seen MTV's hottest MCs list ? Kendrick was in 8th and Cole wasn't even included . 21 Savage and Lil Uzi Vert should've been replaced with Cole and Logic in my opinion , two of the best artists and highly underrated .

MTV is fucking stupid though lmao. 21 Savage and Uzi are not deserving of even a top 20 spot. 21 Savage is shit imo, and Uzi only has a few decent songs. If anyone of that similar group deserves a spot I could maybe say Travis Scott, besides that most of the newest rappers are horrific.

Logic is some fire though, Under Pressure is one of my favorite rap albums.

Bontigo Papi .
December 19th, 2016, 08:59 AM
MTV is fucking stupid though lmao. 21 Savage and Uzi are not deserving of even a top 20 spot. 21 Savage is shit imo, and Uzi only has a few decent songs. If anyone of that similar group deserves a spot I could maybe say Travis Scott, besides that most of the newest rappers are horrific.

Logic is some fire though, Under Pressure is one of my favorite rap albums.

And I thought the XXL Freshmen of 2016 was bad , the only person who deserved to be a Freshman is Lil Dicky , imo another highly underrated artist . His flow is just so good and his XXL freestyle was straight lit .

brandon9
December 19th, 2016, 11:52 AM
And I thought the XXL Freshmen of 2016 was bad , the only person who deserved to be a Freshman is Lil Dicky , imo another highly underrated artist . His flow is just so good and his XXL freestyle was straight lit .

I wholeheartedly agree. That list is atrocious, who takes 21 Savage seriously? Or Uzi? Yachty? Kodak Black? They're all jokes. Last good freshman class was 2013, that had guys like Logic, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, and Travis Scott in it. That was a strong group.

Also, unrelated, but the use of the prefix "Lil" among rappers these days is fucking ridiculous. Quick list off the top of my head gives 6:

Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Yachty
Lil Dicky
Lil Wayne
Lil Boosie
Lil Jon

Bontigo Papi .
December 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. That list is atrocious, who takes 21 Savage seriously? Or Uzi? Yachty? Kodak Black? They're all jokes. Last good freshman class was 2013, that had guys like Logic, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, and Travis Scott in it. That was a strong group.

Also, unrelated, but the use of the prefix "Lil" among rappers these days is fucking ridiculous. Quick list off the top of my head gives 6:

Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Yachty
Lil Dicky
Lil Wayne
Lil Boosie
Lil Jon

Totally , Trap music started off good , then they just came and messed it up .

brandon9
December 19th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Totally , Trap music started off good , then they just came and messed it up .

It might be beyond the point of saving if another group like that comes in again lol