PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with Depression, BDD

thomy
December 10th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Hi all of you!

I'd love to know if there is anyone who is dealing with depression and/or BDD.

I was depressed as a kid and slit my wrists at 12. i survived and started getting psychiatric treatment. I'm currently on anafranil, 75 mg.

Things have gotten much better. however there are some times where i FEEL deformed and like, full of shame. meeting new people gives me so much anxiety it is easy for me to live as a recluse.

I wish i could just be "normal" and stop this pain. and i do not know how to not feel it. I'm not wishing to be happy, i just hope i can have a long, lasting, break.

Any advice is appreciated.

Have you suffered from "real" depression, not just temporary sadness? Did you take medication? which one, when did you stop? Have you suffered from bdd? what worked? what didn't? have you ever tried to commit suicide? do you ever feel suicidal again? do you feel "repulsive"? do you have too much sex for validation?

Also if you can i'd be glad to listen to your opinion concerning plastic surgery: can be a solution or not? I wish i could have some procedures but my psychiatrist says in this state i'd only be wanting more and more, i can think about it when it's not an obsession.

really, any advice is appreciated, even if you can't answer the questions.

thank you! cheers

Dalcourt
December 10th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I have Bipolar so I suffer from sometimes quite long phases of severe depression and anxiety.
I tried killing myself several times, self-harm...and do a lot of other nasty things that come with that disorder.

I only get medication in really extremely bad phases. My Dad is strictly against me taking meds, so usually it's just therapy I get. For me it's rather helpful since I can't really be open about my illness in our community.

I don't have BDD or feel repulsive or anything. I read about it and know a girl from a group therapy that suffered from it but that's as far as my experience goes.
I'm not sure how helpful plastic surgery would be there...it could easily be that you could get addicted to it once you start and it won't do a thing that will help you feel better. I guess that really depends on the individual and on what that individual feels to have corrected by surgery. I guess therapy to help you learn to live with your imperfections would do more good and everything else should just be a last resort.

thomy
December 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I have Bipolar so I suffer from sometimes quite long phases of severe depression and anxiety.
I tried killing myself several times, self-harm...and do a lot of other nasty things that come with that disorder.

I only get medication in really extremely bad phases. My Dad is strictly against me taking meds, so usually it's just therapy I get. For me it's rather helpful since I can't really be open about my illness in our community.

I don't have BDD or feel repulsive or anything. I read about it and know a girl from a group therapy that suffered from it but that's as far as my experience goes.
I'm not sure how helpful plastic surgery would be there...it could easily be that you could get addicted to it once you start and it won't do a thing that will help you feel better. I guess that really depends on the individual and on what that individual feels to have corrected by surgery. I guess therapy to help you learn to live with your imperfections would do more good and everything else should just be a last resort.

thank you. this is me: http://imgur.com/a/eyPgV

i was wondering if making my jaw smaller and try to make the lips more masculine would be a good idea?

Dalcourt
December 10th, 2016, 11:39 PM
thank you. this is me: http://imgur.com/a/eyPgV

i was wondering if making my jaw smaller and try to make the lips more masculine would be a good idea?

Well, to me you look really good the way you look now and I guess a lot of people would be happy to have your looks.
Still liking who someone looks is mainly subjective and so if you see yourself different from how I see you it is completely alright.

Of course changing your jawline and lips will make you look different, but if you would look better? Honestly I have no idea? Will you be happy with how you look then? I don't think you can be sure about that either...what if you then feel that the shape of your nose doesn't fit the way your more masculine lips look? And after changing your nose you suddenly feel that your cheekbones don't look so great with your new nose? That's how addictions on plastic surgery start and I'm afraid you will never really find happiness through them.

Of course it could be totally different. You change just one thing and are happy with it and feel better but I don't know that and you don't know that before you start the whole thing either and then you have always the risk of getting into this sort of addiction.

That's just my opinion on this subject and I'd never persuade you do one thing or the other cuz after all it's your body and your mind not mine. But if you wanna talk about it I'm of course listening.

Just JT
December 13th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I'm actually not totally sure of all my diagnosis. I am on some but I really don't pay much attention ttention to the labels and names. But I'm pretty sure I'm somewhat depressed. I do take meds, not a big fan either. Don't wana go into which ones but there all about the same it's a matter of how their yeact with someone. And if that's not good then try something else.

Meds are like very debatable whether to take them or not. And is a personal choice for everyone. For me I look at how I feel and act when off my meds compared to when I'm on my meds. Which one do I like better.

See meds aren't supposed to be a cure all thing. They work best along side with counseling or therapy. And slowly work off the meds if that's possible. Sometimes it's not. It all depends.

On your video I think you look fine. But you sure you want to leave that on like that? It does show your face and all. It's fine if you do but you may not like that later