PDA

View Full Version : America needs to improve its info structure now!!!!!!

Cjmccjface
December 8th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I'am really tired of being stuck in traffic, I'am really tired of driving 7 hours to LA from my residence. I'am really tired of being stuck in the airport for 3 hours for delays. I'am really tired of hearing the east being shut down by snow storms on the news.

We are America, we are the Strongest Nation in the world. We shouldn't have these issues. We need to come up with a plan to improve our info structure, that doesn't involve building/expanding roads and funding airlines. we need to see a new mode of transportation one that hasn't been used before here in the U.S

Is there anyone out there that supports this cause? Of would you like to see some change? If so, what are your ideas?

bentheplayer
December 9th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Sure I would. Cut the CIA budget and illegal state sponsored actions and suddenly you will find enough money. The black budget is over $50 billion per yr.

Flapjack
December 9th, 2016, 02:03 AM
I love how you think military strength should translate to better information for the people xD

I think expanding roads and using buses is a great idea all though expanding roads isn't always possible.

Sure I support a new mode of transportation that solves everyone problems but it can just be invented when you don't even have the slightest idea how it would work :P

PlasmaHam
December 9th, 2016, 08:34 AM
The thing about American infrastructure, and really education too, is that it is such a large country that the Federal government cannot adequately run a system that is fair for all Americans. That's one of the reasons all the massive Federal infrastructure bills fail.

It is rather hard to base American national infrastructure off other developed countries, as we are much larger per-population than almost all of them.

ethan-s
December 10th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Great idea. Let's cut welfare and spending on illegal immigrants and free up some $$$$ to s650 nd on roads.

Dalcourt
December 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Great idea. Let's cut welfare and spending on illegal immigrants and free up some $$$$ to s650 nd on roads.

And how exactly will this help to move L.A. closer to the OP's home or stop a snowstorm from making it impossible for a plane to start?

Anyway,even if huge amounts of money will be invested in renewing and expanding infrastructure ( something that would be sensible in some areas of course) some things will always stay the same. The USA are a huge country so it will always take long periods of time to travel to certain destinations and nobody can do anything against the weather.
The traffic in the cities could be reduced by using public means of transport, a bike or even walk...but since hardly any US citizen will be prepared to give up his or her car all money that would go into developing this sector of infrastructure would just be wasted.

Porpoise101
December 10th, 2016, 10:52 PM
I think that revitalizing and repairing tracks, roads, and bridges is of critical importance. Of course, the Right in the US has staunchly opposed the renewal of the Federal Highway Gas Tax in Congress, so funding has dried up for interstate and bridge repairs. It was a pretty ridiculous move, because oil prices were low for the past 2-3 years (and we knew it), so it would have not hurt Americans' wallets as much. Now they are rising, and more gas taxes will begin to make us suffer at the pump.

But now Trump is hailing repairs, and so are the rest of the Congressmen now. Yet he has no plan to actually fund it. Just another example of how the Right has shifted from fiscal conservatism to a now-first attitude of fiscal irresponsibility.

PlasmaHam
December 10th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Just another example of how the Right has shifted from fiscal conservatism to a now-first attitude of fiscal irresponsibility.
Ah yes, the Right is totally in the wrong in their approach to this. Just imagine the Republican's approach to this! They will probably spend nearly a trillion dollars on American infrastructure yet get very little done. We totally need the Democrats right now!

2009: Obama and a Democrat controlled Congress lays out a 800 billion dollar stimulus plan for rebuilding American infrastructure and restoring jobs. (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a3823/4295028/)

2010: Obama asks for even more funding, while records show that only 7% of the original funds were actually paid out to the Department of Transportation. (http://humanevents.com/2010/09/08/scandal-less-than-7-of-trilliondollar-stimulus-spent-on-infrastructure/)

2014:5 years after the plan was initiated, only 10% of funds actually went to infrastructure, and construction jobs haven't gained at all. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303945704579387692278347858)

2016: American infrastructure is no better off since nearly 1 trillion dollars was spent by a Democratic president to help rebuild it. Yet for some reason the left still believes the Republicans are the ones who don't know infrastructure.

Cjmccjface
December 11th, 2016, 01:41 AM
I think the country should consider Putting forth a HSR network around key corridors for example LA to San Francisco or LA to Las Vegas. Or Improve the NE corridor For High Speed Travel. Though it may sound expansive, It would be less expansive then improving our road network(Trying to find the source to this). And if private sectors pay for these projects, not a single penny will come out of the taxpayer wallet.

HSR will free space up on the highways, and will provide easy hassle free transport. I think it's a great idea to invest into trains.

Cjmccjface
December 11th, 2016, 02:02 AM

Like I said, we need to come up with another mode of mass transport that is effective other then roads. Roads are expensive to Repair/maintain.

And how exactly will this help to move L.A. closer to the OP's home or stop a snowstorm from making it impossible for a plane to start?

Anyway,even if huge amounts of money will be invested in renewing and expanding infrastructure ( something that would be sensible in some areas of course) some things will always stay the same. The USA are a huge country so it will always take long periods of time to travel to certain destinations and nobody can do anything against the weather.
The traffic in the cities could be reduced by using public means of transport, a bike or even walk...but since hardly any US citizen will be prepared to give up his or her car all money that would go into developing this sector of infrastructure would just be wasted.

I was thinking about investing in trains to move people in corridors, while planes do the long distance routes. Taking a High Speed Train from SF to LA or from LV to LA or PHX to LA is more of a Deal then wasting $200 on a plane flight. Taking a plane from a Coast to Coast route is more convenient then traveling by train for +20 hours.
Posts merged. Use the multi quote button next time. ~Mars

Porpoise101
December 12th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Ah yes, the Right is totally in the wrong in their approach to this. Just imagine the Republican's approach to this! They will probably spend nearly a trillion dollars on American infrastructure yet get very little done. We totally need the Democrats right now!
First off, I do agree that the Obama administration's stimulus was inefficient as it was a top down approach. A better system would be for the federal government to give grants to municipalities that have a good infrastructure plan. That way local people build the community they want and in a way that benefits them. After all, local cities and towns unsurprisingly know more about which projects are more important than some data scientist in DC.

With that out of the way, while the 10% figure as quoted by the article seems to be low, it really isn't as the American Recovery and Restoration Act was huge and multifaceted. The $1 trillion figure you have there is incorrect, as only $110 billion was explicitly set aside towards infrastructure as discretionary spending. And of that, about $40 billion went towards the highway system, with the rest going towards ports, public transit, and train systems. This is a big reason why many Americans aren't satisfied with infrastructure. Since half the country lives in at least semi-urban areas, much of the money goes into infrastructure that caters to a small geographic area, such as cities. While these areas are in most need of it (because they are under the most use), I understand how this can seem unfair. (Source: A presentation put together by the US Dept of Transportation about ARRA (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7231&stc=1&d=1481583964)

Then the Rs in Congress deny increases of the Federal Highway Gas Tax and our Federal Highway Trust Fund becomes insolvent (Source (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwaytrustfund/#a)). This is in spite of the fact that inflation has worked its way since 1993, the last hike. It needs an increase, and by not increasing it, you are actually lowering the tax over time.