PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy

Microcosm
December 5th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I've been clumsy for a very long time. I'll say things without thinking about it, I'll do things without thinking about it, and most importantly:

Given some potentially dangerous situation where I have to make a decision which is normally obvious, I'll be a deer in headlights and make the worst possible decision.

For example, about two or three months after I got my driving license, I was turning left and someone was coming from the other direction. For some reason I felt panicky and just turned right in front of them. I didn't get hit or anything, but it was embarassing, dangerous, and super clumsy.

Another example: Today, I was driving in the rain and I legit could see basically nothing out my front windshield. The only reason I could stay on the right part of the road generally was the reflectors that are on the road lines. When those went away where I needed to turn, I was sort of swerving in and out of lanes trying to best guess where to go. The normal person would have pulled over or just stopped so as not to risk it, but I just did my instinct: the deer in headlights approach.

Is this some kind of mental disorder? It happens all the time and it's so difficult to stop. It's almost like I'm just really passive about dangerous situations.

pls help

bentheplayer
December 6th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Well if it is limited to driving, not all of us are born natural drivers. I have heard of a real life account where a female driver who, thought she was gonna crash, simply let go of the wheel and started screaming in fear while keeping her foot on the gas pedal. It was fortunate that the person sitting beside her had the presence of mind to use the hand brake to avoid the crash. Sometimes certain reflexes needs to be trained. Perhaps you might want to consider doing a defensive driving course to improve ur driving skills?

jamie_n5
December 15th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Do you just make poor judgements in your driving habits or does this effect the other parts and aspects of your life too? Maturity will bring about some changes on how you do things and think too. We never quit learning things in life until the day they put us in the ground. If it is just the driving part of your life that you are careless about things then you better focus on how to do things better before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Microcosm
December 16th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Do you just make poor judgements in your driving habits or does this effect the other parts and aspects of your life too? Maturity will bring about some changes on how you do things and think too. We never quit learning things in life until the day they put us in the ground. If it is just the driving part of your life that you are careless about things then you better focus on how to do things better before you hurt yourself or someone else.

It's other things in life too. However, I'll note that I was a new driver and rarely make such mistakes now. Also, there was a girl in the car at the time which made me super nervous.