PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a diagnosis?

Equinox1
December 2nd, 2016, 08:20 AM
Ever since I was about 11 years old, I've been fairly convinced that I was suffering from hypersexuality (or nymphomania/satyriasis as I originally knew it). Of course, I never ever talked about it because it did seem like a shameful condition. Well, it's getting harder to ignore now and is interfering with my life (constant sexual thoughts, seemingly constant arousal). I decided to do some research myself since I'm not seeing my therapist until Monday. I went to Wikipedia for an overview and the first sentence was: Hypersexuality is a clinical diagnosis used by mental healthcare researchers and providers to describe extremely frequent or suddenly increased sexual urges or sexual activity.

And firstly, that's exactly my problem. I can be fine for a week or two, with just a few thoughts here and there. Then there are several, seemingly never-ending weeks where it just goes on and on so it's both suddenly increased and extremely frequent. Secondly, it seems to be a symptom of bipolar disorder which my therapist already suspects I have due to periods of mania and depression. A few people who aren't professionals have told me that I probably just have a normal sex drive for a teenager but it just doesn't feel that way. Because I feel very trapped in by the thoughts, like it's an endless cycle and like I want to do something dangerous, without considering the consequences. They're not intrusive because I've had those before and it doesn't feel exactly the same.

I don't really feel comfortable discussing this with anyone in real life...and I want to know if that's actually necessary anyway? Because I already know I'm having "extremely frequent and suddenly increased sexual urges" and it's occurred over a period of at least five years (about a year after puberty). Although it's a heavily researched (since 1800s?) and widely known illness, it's not officially recognized in the DSM-V which I think is the latest so could I even be diagnosed anyway? Could it just be safe to assume I have it and try to control it on my own or should I speak to someone first?

bentheplayer
December 2nd, 2016, 09:45 AM
The main reason hypersexuality isn't in DSM5 is because there is a lack of empirical evidence and medicine today has to be evidence based. Other reasons is that it might be used as an excuse for infidelity and that there is no proven physiological reaction in the context of addiction.

If I remembered correctly, it might be considered for inclusion in ICD 11 in the form of compulsive sexual disorder. In any case ICD is more widely used world wide than DSM which is a whole topic on its own. The point is for many of such issues the diagnosis is a question of semantics and legal validity of such a condition. Remember that homosexuality used to be listed on ICD-9 and DSM (1 if I rmb correctly).

Practically speaking, what you need is not so much a diagnosis but a management plan to ensure that you don't do anything stupid or lose control. If you are in UK/aus perhaps you can ask to see your gp and do talk to your gp about your concerns. Your gp will most likely not know much about it but will be able to refer you to a health care professional who can better help you. Experienced clinicians will recognize that certain conditions especially in mental health may not be officially legal yet but they should still be able to offer you solutions to help you.

Just tell the doctor your problem. It is their job to figure out the diagnosis and treatment plan for you. Why bother and cause unnecessary worry for yourself? All doctors are expected to maintain confidentiality with their patients so don't be afraid to talk to them. For example if you are from Australia, your doctor is entitled to refuse the courts any info of their patients.

benbeny
December 3rd, 2016, 08:27 AM
In ICD-10, it is still included as F52.7, albeit the diagnosis criteria is not that clear.

bentheplayer
December 3rd, 2016, 08:45 AM
In ICD-10, it is still included as F52.7, albeit the diagnosis criteria is not that clear.

Ah right. I was thinking of sex addiction then rather than excessive sexual desire. Thanks for the info. Incidentally, isn't most diagnostic criteria for such issues pretty subjective and a matter semantics? Anyways this area of medicine has always seemed to be pretty controversial to me.

benbeny
December 5th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Ah right. I was thinking of sex addiction then rather than excessive sexual desire. Thanks for the info. Incidentally, isn't most diagnostic criteria for such issues pretty subjective and a matter semantics? Anyways this area of medicine has always seemed to be pretty controversial to me.
Yes it really is. My teacher once said, even the same case can get different diagnoses by different psychiatrist. But overall, the drug is similar, so what's the point anyway?

Personally, I feel helped by psychiatric service and medicine, though I personally sometimes question, does the psychiatry really help or does it make us like a dumb and happy sheep?

So yes I got the point, but I think you should read some news about schizophrenic people being bound with a chain for decades cause the family doesn't really trust psychiatrist.

bentheplayer
December 5th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Yes it really is. My teacher once said, even the same case can get different diagnoses by different psychiatrist. But overall, the drug is similar, so what's the point anyway?

Personally, I feel helped by psychiatric service and medicine, though I personally sometimes question, does the psychiatry really help or does it make us like a dumb and happy sheep?

So yes I got the point, but I think you should read some news about schizophrenic people being bound with a chain for decades cause the family doesn't really trust psychiatrist.

I see. Haha I am not even a medical student yet. Just working towards it. But I have had the opportunity to do a medical attachment so I have some rough idea conceptually how medicine is practised. I for one won't mind being a dumb happy sheep. At least I won't be able to know the pain in me.... psychological and emotional scars are the worse. They just love coming round for surprise visits.

Anyways I am not surprising to hear that mental patients are chained and kept hidden away at home. During the victorian era most families took such matters into their own hands.