PDA

View Full Version : My family

TheHegemon
November 28th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Hello, I'm quite new here, however I've watched this site and believe this to be a good one. I'm 16-years-old and consider myself mature when compared to others around me. I want to start getting politically active, however I am afraid of what my family would think, as they are liberal and we live in a "blue state". I especially don't want to hear a rant from my mother about what I ought to hate and like politically.

I feel that most of my family would understand, however I know they would keep bringing it up, just like what they did with my choice of language studies. I would like some ideas of how I could potentially respond when this does happen. It would also be interesting to know if anyone else is in a family which you don't fit in, in a political sense that is.

Thank you.

Just JT
November 28th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Question; why do feel you need like make a stand out of the gate. Why not just like participate in conversations that are happening and you xpress your thoughts. As time goes on you might not only learn something about yourself and them but also others will begin with o understand your thoughts and values

BlackParadePixie
November 28th, 2016, 07:24 PM
You don't need anyone's permission to form your own opinions about things. If you disagree with your family members about political issues, then you disagree. That doesn't mean you can't get along with them or treat them the same as you always have.
If you're looking to get involved in discussions with more like-minded people outside of home...does your school have a politics club? Or a debate club? you could always check your local listings in the classifieds section and see if there are any local republican or democrat meetings going on.

jamie_n5
November 28th, 2016, 09:21 PM
You are entitled to your own opinions and political views. I went around and around with my mom this election. This was my first time to vote too. Just hold on to your own beliefs and do what you feel is what you want in politics.

Ben7
November 29th, 2016, 02:29 AM
You are your own person, with the freedom to believe whatever you wish. If you anticipate problems or discussions with your family, quite simply, do not be afraid or hesitant! Be prepared to respectfully explain your views and feelings and why you think what you think. Don't get angry or raise your voice, just express your opinions and leave it at that. They will likely not be convinced nor will you change your minds but once you believe something you should be prepared to defend yourself and your position. When I say defend I also don't necessarily mean a shouting match or a big blown-out argument, but rather a respectful and polite dialogue and try to keep your cool even if your family members might take it beyond the realm of "polite dialogue." Good luck.

TheHegemon
November 30th, 2016, 02:27 AM
I thank you all for taking time from your day to respond, I appreciate it dearly. I have decided, after close review of the responses, that once I begin my political endevours, I shall be amply prepared to defend my values and beliefs. Your supportive responses, have indeed boosted morale for this subject. I have begun getting in political discussions with my family, and thus far they are supportive.

Thank you once again.

pjones
December 2nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Hello, I'm quite new here, however I've watched this site and believe this to be a good one. I'm 16-years-old and consider myself mature when compared to others around me. I want to start getting politically active, however I am afraid of what my family would think, as they are liberal and we live in a "blue state". I especially don't want to hear a rant from my mother about what I ought to hate and like politically.

I feel that most of my family would understand, however I know they would keep bringing it up, just like what they did with my choice of language studies. I would like some ideas of how I could potentially respond when this does happen. It would also be interesting to know if anyone else is in a family which you don't fit in, in a political sense that is.

Thank you.

Are you thinking of a political career?

Educate yourself so you can have a good conversation with your family. In my house we're challenged to know our facts not just repeat what we hear somewhere. It makes for some dynamic talk during dinner, but we respect the other persons opinion.

TheHegemon
December 7th, 2016, 12:49 AM
Are you thinking of a political career?

Educate yourself so you can have a good conversation with your family. In my house we're challenged to know our facts not just repeat what we hear somewhere. It makes for some dynamic talk during dinner, but we respect the other persons opinion.

Trust me, I've been "educating" myself since I was 11-years-old. I constantly study history and geography, which in turn helps me better understand how the current geopolitical situation of a location came to be. And yes, I am thinking of a political career, not to mention I find it easy to gain supporters and followers of my peers already.