PDA

View Full Version : This thing...

The Byrd
November 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM
My mum just told me to do this thing with blood pressure or something. My reading was, like, 131, 93, 85 or something. What does it mean? Is it healthy? Am I going to die?

lliam
November 27th, 2016, 05:32 PM
nah, read this ... http://bloodpressureok.com/reading/131-over-93/

or just in case ... I sugguest: see a doctor.

The Byrd
November 27th, 2016, 05:37 PM
nah, read this ... http://bloodpressureok.com/reading/131-over-93/

or just in case ... I sugguest: see a doctor.

I don't know what any of that means.

Atlantis
November 27th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Basically I just looked it up and anything between 120/80 and 140/90 means 'prehypertension' which isn't bad enough for it to be called high blood pressure, but it is higher than it should be. If it was your first ever blood pressure reading, that could be a reason why it was so high as you might have been nervous. Things to get your blood pressure lower are the standard things really: eat less fats/salts, eat more fruit and veg, lose weight, exercise etc. The ideal blood pressure should be between 90/60 and 120/80.

lliam
November 27th, 2016, 06:04 PM
As Lost Horizon mentioned, there are too many factors that can influence your hypertension, which is also mentioned on this page, which I'd linked.

And actually I'm now more into to say, you should never discuss something like this with the laity such as, no offense, peers in a teen-forum. Always ask the doctor you trust. Anyway, imo, even if you've some issues with your own blood pressure, you won't gonna die. So relaxx, because that lowers hypertension.

Phosphene
November 27th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Sports and Fitness :arrow2: VT General Hospital

Voice_Of_Unreason
November 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM
You cannot adequately determine your actual blood pressure based upon just one reading. There are many variables which can increase or decrease it for a short period of time.

I would suggest that you take a few more measurements, and if your blood pressure repeatedly records hypertension or high blood pressure then you might want to schedule an appointment with your doctor.

High blood pressure will not directly kill you or seriously hinder you, so don't get paranoid that you are walking on your grave. However, high blood pressure can increase your chances of heart problems, which can be lethal, so it would be a wise bet to keep it down. You can keep it down by a prescription medicine, better diet and exercise, or a combination of the two. However I would see a doctor before doing any of this.

bentheplayer
November 28th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Generally as a rule you need to have 2 proper readings that show high blood pressure before you can be deemed as hypertensive. The first and higher number is your systoloic bld pressure while the second and lower number is your diastolic bld presuure. It is the pressure in your artery when your heart contracts and relaxes respectively. There are many reasons for a falsely elevated reading not limited to consuming caffeine/alcohol, smoking, having a fever, running, feeling stressed, having a full bladder etc just before taking the reading. You can also read up about the white coat syndrome(hypertension) where one's reading is higher in the clinic than at home despite being well rested.

The cut off off number for hypertension varies with age too and rises as you age to 140/90 for adults. Best to consult your pediatrician for the actual figures cos it also varies with your posture when the reading is taken.

While generally high blood pressure don't kill you immediately, there is a condition known as malignant hypertension when your blood pressure is above 180/120 which is generally treated as a medical emergency as it might cause organ damage.

For all practical purpose, it is quite unlikely for us to get hypertension at our age unless you have some kind of congenital issue but if you have it you should try lifestyle modifications like the Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet before stating on pills. With all meds, such pills can give nasty side effects like rebound hypertension when you suddenly stop taking the drug or postural hypotension where you get low blood pressure when you stand up from sitting or lying down.

You might want to find out if your immediate family members have hypertension as there is a slight genetic link to it. If they do you probably want to be extra careful with your diet and make sure you exercise regularly cos it will put you at a higher risk of getting hypertension which can at the end of the road result in metabolic syndrome (hypertension, atherosclerosis and diabetes). Its no fun having to live with those diseases as they can potentially cause severe limitations of life.

If you are from England you should be entitled to free healthcare so by all means book an appointment with your GP and talk to your GP about your concerns. I am sure they will be more than happy to explain it to you.

erik2000
November 30th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Yes, everybody is going to die.

Microcosm
November 30th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Yes, everybody is going to die.

http://i.imgur.com/DpQ9YJl.png

bentheplayer
December 1st, 2016, 10:35 AM
Well that is kinda true. Everyone is gonna die. Its just a matter of when. Just like bleeding since all bleeding will stop eventually...