PDA

View Full Version : Life impact

Karkat
February 22nd, 2014, 04:34 AM
Alright, so I've had some suspicions that I have binge eating disorder. Mostly others have told me, etc. (and Facebook keeps putting an ad for OA in with the ads. Constantly.)

The thing is, I know that I overeat. I know that I reach for food for comfort. I know that I have many symptoms of binge eating disorder. I absolutely binge. I don't purge, I don't really fast- sometimes I'll eat less because I don't feel hungry, or I feel sick.

The thing is, I've heard that binge eating disorder...Isn't technically considered an eating disorder? It's usually not life-threatening, it can just lead to poor health in the long run, but it's nowhere near as serious as anorexia or bulimia. I know it's absolutely a big problem for some people, and it can seriously affect your life.

That's the thing though. It doesn't really affect me. I mean, obviously it does a little, or I wouldn't be here at all.

I'm underweight, so the calories aren't a big deal for me. I don't feel like it's impacting my life a significant amount. I don't really want to change.

Is binge eating disorder even something that needs to be addressed if it doesn't impact your life much?

Miserabilia
February 22nd, 2014, 07:05 AM
If you don't think there is a serious problem, there is not a problem.
If there is a serious health or mental problem, then there is, if there's not, I guess you're safe

ksdnfkfr
February 22nd, 2014, 07:42 AM
This is something I always ask.
In the autism forum new people are always asking if it sounds like they are on the autism spectrum, and then rattle off a bunch of miscellaneous quirks and should they put a lot of time and money into getting tested.

And my attitude is, how much of an impact is this actually having on your life?
Don't keep rattling off traits and such. Make a list of in what why this impacts your
life. That's how you know if you have an actual problem or not in my opinion.

Karkat
February 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
If you don't think there is a serious problem, there is not a problem.
If there is a serious health or mental problem, then there is, if there's not, I guess you're safe

This is something I always ask.
In the autism forum new people are always asking if it sounds like they are on the autism spectrum, and then rattle off a bunch of miscellaneous quirks and should they put a lot of time and money into getting tested.

And my attitude is, how much of an impact is this actually having on your life?
Don't keep rattling off traits and such. Make a list of in what why this impacts your
life. That's how you know if you have an actual problem or not in my opinion.

Now see, I've thought I might be on the spectrum as well, and I think that THAT does affect my life significantly.

I don't feel like my eating habits do.

Thanks guys. :)

ksdnfkfr
February 22nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Now see, I've thought I might be on the spectrum as well, and I think that THAT does affect my life significantly.

I don't feel like my eating habits do.

Lots of people on the spectrum have unusual eating habits they question.

Karkat
February 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Lots of people on the spectrum have unusual eating habits they question.

Hmm, I guess I didn't realize that. Thanks. :)

Hundred Spirited God
February 23rd, 2014, 06:51 AM
yes,even though its something small like binge eating disorder,it could get worse,its just a possibility,but i'd rather be on the safe side

ksdnfkfr
February 23rd, 2014, 07:02 AM
Never hurts to play it safe.
But worry ain't worth a hill of beans, as my grandpap says.

Karkat
February 23rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
yes,even though its something small like binge eating disorder,it could get worse,its just a possibility,but i'd rather be on the safe side

That's true, but I've had this habit for a long time and it hasn't really gotten worse. I don't really feel like I want to change it, above anything, honestly. I like being able to eat large amounts of food.

Never hurts to play it safe.
But worry ain't worth a hill of beans, as my grandpap says.

That's true as well. Besides, I'd rather focus on the more important issues I need to deal with.

backjruton
February 23rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
I have unusual eating habits, but I don't question them :3

Karkat
February 23rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
I have unusual eating habits, but I don't question them :3

Well they're not just unusual for me, I tend to be able to eat massive amounts of food sometimes, and very little other times. I tend to seriously surprise people, especially my coworkers. :P

That and I'm pretty much always eating/drinking/chewing something. If not, I get anxious or grind my teeth or chew at my mouth.

Edit: I also turn to food or stop eating for days if I'm emotional, or depressed. Sometimes I'll just get extreme cravings, and end up eating a lot of food because I was craving a lot of things.

backjruton
February 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
I managed to put on 6 stone without thinking in a year before and since then I've been having these same problems but not as bad. Some days I eat a lot and some days I eat a lot less, most of what I eat is crisps and I'm finding it hard to think sometimes because most of the time I've been drinking with "no sugar" and "no calories" but I'm not a big fan of chocolate and I don't eat a lot of sweets I drink a lot more pepsi max than I eat crisps and the other things which has no extra weight and that seems to be a lot of what I've put on because I've had some days with around 10 packs of crisps and some days with none and I have more days with 1 or 2 packs than 10. I don't understand a lot of things and maybe it would help if I did cos most of my weight has probably come from eating crisps and cheese cos I don't get much with sugar in either :L

And when I say this, I mean unusual to other people obviously as I've been like this for the past 6 years and am used to it :3

Karkat
February 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I managed to put on 6 stone without thinking in a year before and since then I've been having these same problems but not as bad. Some days I eat a lot and some days I eat a lot less, most of what I eat is crisps and I'm finding it hard to think sometimes because most of the time I've been drinking with "no sugar" and "no calories" but I'm not a big fan of chocolate and I don't eat a lot of sweets I drink a lot more pepsi max than I eat crisps and the other things which has no extra weight and that seems to be a lot of what I've put on because I've had some days with around 10 packs of crisps and some days with none and I have more days with 1 or 2 packs than 10. I don't understand a lot of things and maybe it would help if I did cos most of my weight has probably come from eating crisps and cheese cos I don't get much with sugar in either :L

Crisps will certainly make you gain weight, so can cheese :P Unless you're me. Because apparently I can eat 7k+ calories one day...And not even gain a pound that week. Just a fraction of one.

Sugar is reeally bad for gaining weight, and surprisingly so are sugar-free things.

My deal is that I wish I'd gain weight from this but I really don't. I managed to SOMEHOW gain ten pounds on vacation last summer, but I got really sick towards the end of the year and lost 25. Four months later, and I haven't even put on 10lb. Ugh.

backjruton
February 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM
So basically you have a very fast metabolism?? I think my parents have both said that my family's metabolism has always been lower. I think this has something to do with how quickly you gain and lose weight

Karkat
February 23rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
So basically you have a very fast metabolism?? I think my parents have both said that my family's metabolism has always been lower. I think this has something to do with how quickly you gain and lose weight

Yeah, I have a fast metabolism. A little too fast. :P It's a pain.

unknownuser
February 28th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I say that yes, it can.
Big problems usually stem from seemingly small issues that will grow over time.
Eating's like a comfort/calming thing for you, right? If you turn to food and binge as a way to cope, then it'll become a VERY hard habit to break in the future.

It's like people that become anorexic- no on wants to be anorexic... it usually starts out as "I wanna lose a little bit of weight" or "I wanna eat healthier and trim down", then slowly you start cutting out more and more food and exercising more and more and it gets worse and worse; to the point where you lose all self control and cannot physically eat (not to mention your bones are super brittle, your hair's falling out, your organs start shutting down, you're always cold, & you bruise super easily). Worst case scenario, the same thing can happen with binge eating, but at the opposite end of the spectrum.

unknownuser
February 28th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I don't feel like it's impacting my life a significant amount. I don't really want to change.

*cough* You're obviously in denial. *cough*

Karkat
February 28th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I say that yes, it can.
Big problems usually stem from seemingly small issues that will grow over time.
Eating's like a comfort/calming thing for you, right? If you turn to food and binge as a way to cope, then it'll become a VERY hard habit to break in the future.

It's like people that become anorexic- no on wants to be anorexic... it usually starts out as "I wanna lose a little bit of weight" or "I wanna eat healthier and trim down", then slowly you start cutting out more and more food and exercising more and more and it gets worse and worse; to the point where you lose all self control and cannot physically eat (not to mention your bones are super brittle, your hair's falling out, your organs start shutting down, you're always cold, & you bruise super easily). Worst case scenario, the same thing can happen with binge eating, but at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I mean, I've thought about this, the only thing is it doesn't really affect me the way, say, my addictions do. It's not nearly as crippling as my inability to get off of the computer, or to stop gambling, or anything like me and alcohol.

Plus I have a high metabolism, so I literally don't gain weight from it. Which is frustrating, because I'm underweight, and I need to gain weight, and even though this is happening I'm still not gaining weight.

I mean, I've fit the bill for most of the symptoms of it, I just don't know if it's worth dealing with right now. I can't even prioritize it, because I have to deal with a whole slew of other things first, and I just don't know if it's worth dealing with.

*cough* You're obviously in denial. *cough*

Yeah, I'll admit, I've been dreading this. I had a feeling someone was going to say it eventually. I mean, I've been tossing it around to some friends and my boyfriend casually because I was worried, but they didn't seem too concerned, so I let it go until now. I mean, I've wondered if I had binge eating disorder for a while, but I just don't like the idea of dealing with ANOTHER THING. I don't know, I guess I'll talk to my therapist the next time I go and see what he thinks.