PDA

View Full Version : Most meaningful songs

Microcosm
November 25th, 2016, 11:01 PM
In this thread, share the songs which:
-present some deeper philosophical point or question
-appeal to the emotions in an extraordinarily complex, vivid, and/or otherwise abnormal way

The best kind, I find, is a mixture of both.

I always find that these sorts of songs always become my favorites, the ones with poetic meanings rather than just a nice tune or generic idea behind them.

Here's a few from me with an analysis of each:

RwUGSYDKUxU

With this one, it's pretty easy to see the deeper message it's presenting. Basically, it's putting human society in perspective by presenting an "ideal" situation that is admittedly impossible to achieve. That's why Lennon finds the idea so euphoric in a way--the song is sung very passionately--: It's grasping at a perfect reality.

A_MjCqQoLLA

Considered by many to be one of the best songs ever written--and considered so by me as well--, this song may just seem like an ordinary love song at first, but the way it goes about appealing to emotions is perfectly executed. The song seems to consider the struggle between acting "cool" aka trying to appeal to the stereotypical or socially acceptable person that you ought to be and being the person that is both right and honest to the self. To me, "take a sad song, and make it better" means to "refrain" from changing who you are because society wants you to be someone else. "Hey Jude... You'll do." The situation is relateable as most people feel this conflict at some point; however, I'd say that it has rarely if ever been so perfectly reflected as in this song.

zk-WqJl4l_Q

With this one, I'm a little iffy on whether it has an emotional meaning that is worth noting any more than other typical songs; however, what pushes it above the threshold of typicality is how it appeals to both emotion on a just-above-average level and proposes a philosophical statement at the same time. To me, it reflects the struggle of determining the value of life's most cherishable events. When we die or leave our friends, we wish so fervently for them to remember us and the things we did. Yet, deep down we question how those things matter at all. After all, they will at some point likely be forgotten in the grand scheme of history. However, the song recognizes the emotional connection that we have to our previous selves and the memories associated with them so well that I think it deserves a place in this post.

9z9sFp6rzJ4

I'd say that this is currently my favorite song of all that I've listened to. Admittedly, the melody plays a big part, but I do think that the lyrics play a bigger one. This song always makes me think of observing life from a distance with less emotion and a sort of depressed disconnect from reality. It presents a certain perspective on life through both the lyrics and the melody that I can't get over. The line "looking down at scattered bones" sets the tone and puts the listener in that phase of disconnect that I mentioned. "We will be ephemeral" suggests again the human desire to be remembered, a desperation for purpose. "Fact isn't what you see" enforces the disconnect from reality and basically enforces the idea that what we see everyday is very passive. The line helps to put life in perspective of a larger picture. "Through all the glamour" also enforces this idea by proposing that we should look through all the "glamour" of everyday life and see the "two hours of surgency" behind it all, the constant conflict with the purpose and nature of the human condition.

N_lCmBvYMRs

This one is obviously biased because I'm an American. I shared this version because I think it's the best rendition of the national anthem ever done. Tbh, it made me cry the first few times listening to the end of this.

Anyways, I like how the song presents the ideas embodied by America as something that everyone thought would disappear, but managed to live on for centuries (of course, the original writer didn't know this would be true, but I think he felt that it would be true because he saw how hard Americans fought in the War of 1812 when it was written to protect their freedoms).

"O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
o'er the land of the free
and the home of the brave?"

This gets me every time.

Pls share your favorites. I will share more if I think of any others.

Devinsoccer
December 1st, 2016, 08:59 PM
We are the world.

brandon9
December 3rd, 2016, 09:52 PM
I'd say there's a few I know of that have a real big meaning behind them, if you hear the actual stories of why they were written. I've found Brantley Gilbert in particular to write very deep and meaningful songs about his own life. Some examples:

Saving Amy, by Brantley Gilbert - one of my favorite songs ever, about a man who dies the night he proposed to his girlfriend while driving home. This is based on a true story, explained as part of this article: http://knue.com/brantley-gilbert-talks-about-love-shares-the-story-behind-the-song-saving-amy/

You Promised, by Brantley Gilbert - this IS my favorite song hands down. This is a song about his wife, specifically their wedding rings. It's described here: http://theshotgunseat.com/hidden-gem-brantley-gilberts-never-released-you-promised/

Just As I Am, by Brantley Gilbert - this is probably his most emotional song, it describes his battle with alcoholism. Very moving, more info on it here: http://tasteofcountry.com/brantley-gilbert-on-song-about-the-fight-that-almost-killed-him/

I could list Brantley Gilbert songs all day long tbh, he's just extraordinarily amazing in how he writes his music. But some other songs that have real big meanings behind them:

I Drive Your Truck, by Lee Brice - this song is also based on a true story, of a man who drives his son's truck as a way to remember him after being killed overseas. The relation of the singer to the truck's owner is changed slightly in the song, but it's still moving nonetheless, and the real story is found here: http://www.npr.org/2013/05/15/184246172/a-songwriter-and-an-army-dad-share-one-touching-story

The Return, by Machine Gun Kelly - describes basically his entire life, incredibly moving and raw song, line by line breakdown here: http://genius.com/Machine-gun-kelly-the-return-lyrics

Mockingbird, by Eminem - one of several songs dedicated to his daughter Hailie, possibly the least offensive song he ever released, 100% truth. http://genius.com/Eminem-mockingbird-lyrics

Beautiful, by Eminem - the standout of his up-down Relapse album, details his upbringing and carries the message to be proud of who you are. http://genius.com/Eminem-beautiful-lyrics

I could list songs all day. Eminem is amazing about including meaning in his songs as well.

Pyromaniac27
December 4th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Tool,sober

bentheplayer
December 6th, 2016, 06:58 AM
We Dind't start the Fire by Billy Joel

everlong
December 12th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I believe it's about Syd Barrett, a former member of the band that died from drug use. While beautiful on its own, everyone has their own person/people that they think of when they hear the song, which is even more beautiful.

bentheplayer
December 14th, 2016, 04:48 AM
We are the World by Michael Jackson and other artist

Slow fade by casting crowns (All bad actions is a gradual process where we do increasingly hurtful acts)

The Byrd
December 15th, 2016, 03:18 PM
'He Was a Friend of Mine' by The Byrds presents the idea of having a friend in someone that you haven't met and someone that doesn't even know your existence:

PuQgFG-S3Ig

SingerInTraining
August 19th, 2017, 08:03 PM
The ones that came to mind have already been mention but lean On Me by Bill Withers, and Give Peace a Chance by John Lennon.

Jinglebottom
August 20th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Please don't bump threads that have been inactive for over two months. :locked: