PDA

View Full Version : Need someone to talk to

Rugby99
November 20th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Tonight I was sitting eating dinner while my father and my brother yelled about me like I wasn't even there. They were getting mad about me wanting to go into the military after high school instead of college to play sports. My father believes that he is wasting his money by sending me to a private school if I'm not going to college. The thing is I never said that I wasn't going to college, I just don't want to go right after high school. He is not realizing the fact that these high school years have and always will be the best years of my life. I love school, I love everything about it. My brother is mad because to go into the military I'm going to have to give up sports. He is mad because I have made it much farther than he ever did (he is not jealous). He is very proud of me and he tells me that. He told me that he probably would have given up if he went through what I have gone through to get where I am. I wake up every morning at 4:30 every morning to practice and then go to school. After school I go to a trainer for more training. I do this to play maybe 3 games in the school season and I am happier than I have ever been. He would have killed to play at the school I'm playing at but he never got the chance. His entire life he wanted to play college ball but he immediately got cut from the team his freshman year and that was it for him. His heart never left the game though. At that point he was determined to make me the best that I can be and he did a great job. The difference between the two of us is that I have the ability to play in college but college isn't the path for me. Don't get me wrong I never want to give up playing ball, I love it and I never want it to go away but it is the sacrifice that I'm going to need to make. Anyway, we are sitting at the table while my father is yelling at me but like I'm not in the room saying he doesn't understand. I feel as though I have no say in my own life. They have always said just as every other parents say. "You can be anything you want to be when you grow up". Well news flash, YOU CANT! You can only do what your parents tell you to because from the moment you are born they will control your life forever and you have no say in anything that happens.

Microcosm
November 22nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimately, the decision is yours. Let them know, however, that you appreciate their efforts--as you ought to; it shows that you care. Once you get to the military age, your life is essentially in your hands if you want it to be.

Just JT
November 22nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
I agree, the choice is yours, and yours alone. And personally I commend you for your eager willingness to serve your country. Good job, it's a serious and personal choice everyone makes for themselves.

But....and I'm not siding with them, but hear me out....

Do you know the statistics of HS seniors who go directly into
College and those who don't?

Do you have a chosen career yet? Because college may help you advance in that more than the military, it all depends

Also, why not consider a happy medium, and join the reserves? They'll pay for college to, and possible end up being an officer after graduation if you get
Into the right program.

In the end I agree with you it's your choice

But also, what I didn't hear in this post is anything about any long term career goals other than joining the military. Not saying that's. Bad choice, but what do you wana do?

The military will be there after college to, or during, or before. Perhaps if you presented some sort of plan or ideas that support your honerable decision you might receive more support from family.

bentheplayer
November 28th, 2016, 01:31 AM
How about a compromise? You can do both military and college too by aiming for West Point, the US military academy. http://www.westpoint.edu/SitePages/Home.aspx This way you can further your military career and also continue doing sports.