PDA

View Full Version : private plane?

Muddy Sneakers
November 20th, 2016, 11:55 AM
A friend's dad is a pilot with a 4-seat prop plane and he wants to take me and my friend out for a day trip on his plane. I'm scared cuz even though he's been a pilot for many years and seems like a responsible guy, I know that private plane just don't have the same safety record as commercial jets. Do you think I'm being overly scared?

ForumQueen
November 20th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I mean I understand your concerns... it's really up to you though. Go with your guts.

Anniebanannie
November 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Wow, it sounds like a great opportunity. Do your parents know your friend's dad? If they do, they might have a sense about how steady he is. I don't think you're more overly concerned than they would be.

Cjmccjface
November 21st, 2016, 03:51 AM
Your more likely to die falling off your bed then you are in a plane crash. My dad owns an Airplane himself it's not that bad . It's pretty cool getting to see everything and to see what he is doing and being able to hear Air Traffic Control. Feel free to ask questions, he will probably be happy to answer them. Oh and one favor ask him for the make and model of the airplane and post it here please. As the Aviation Nerds like myself will love to hear that. :D

AmyUK
November 23rd, 2016, 04:34 PM
I'm doing some training at the moment for my private pilot's licence and that's what I fly. I can tell you that they are super safe, especially if the guy is experienced and responsible. The good thing about them is they are super simple (no more complex than your car) and so there's very little to go wrong with them. And if you're worried about only having one engine, well, they glide very well :P and they stop on a sixpence so choose a field and you've a good chance of getting through without a scratch.

Flapjack
November 23rd, 2016, 04:59 PM
I am not a plane engineer at all but I assume there is still very high safety regulations on private planes :) use your gut though buddy, if screws are falling out then maybe don't fly in it xD I personally think it is an amazing opportunity :)

bentheplayer
November 24th, 2016, 06:04 AM
A lot of it has to do with the pilot skills, risk level of the flight itself and the aircraft maintenance. One could say that the flight is as safe as the pilot wants it. For a 4 seater prop plane a lot will depend on the pilot being able to stay in control (stalls/bad weather/poor visibility can be deadly). Compared to commercial flights this aircraft is likely to have less redundancies like 2 engines instead of one. While it is good to have a certain degree of fear don't let that stop you. Flying in a small prop plane can be oddly liberating and fun.

Svetlana2000
December 1st, 2016, 03:21 AM
I'm doing some training at the moment for my private pilot's licence and that's what I fly. I can tell you that they are super safe, especially if the guy is experienced and responsible. The good thing about them is they are super simple (no more complex than your car) and so there's very little to go wrong with them. And if you're worried about only having one engine, well, they glide very well :P and they stop on a sixpence so choose a field and you've a good chance of getting through without a scratch.

wow youre training for a private pilots licence? respect, thats so cool!

AmyUK
December 1st, 2016, 08:54 AM
wow youre training for a private pilots licence? respect, thats so cool!

Thanks hun! :)

Endeavour
December 3rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
As long as the private plane has gone through safety inspections, there is nothing to be worried about. Private planes are just as safe, they could possibly be even considered as safer as they aren't as used as much as commercial aircraft and would have less wear and tear. The pilot would also have to go through years of safety training so you'd definitely be in safe hands.

bentheplayer
December 9th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Somebody flew by private plane? It is my dream

Private planes especially prop planes are not as expensive as what most people think. You can usually rent a Cessna 182 for around $100/hr if you are a member of a flying club. Depending on the age of the plane you can even get them as cheap as $200 per day.

Pyromaniac27
December 15th, 2016, 05:32 PM
A friend's dad is a pilot with a 4-seat prop plane and he wants to take me and my friend out for a day trip on his plane. I'm scared cuz even though he's been a pilot for many years and seems like a responsible guy, I know that private plane just don't have the same safety record as commercial jets. Do you think I'm being overly scared?
It depends, does he work at the place he flys his plane out of, does the place require pre and post flight checks, (they should, don't get on a plane
Unless you know the owner does) and what condition is the plane in

beachdude
January 25th, 2017, 02:24 PM

hey Ty. Private planes need to be inspected and pass all the same type of safety standards as larger planes. As long as your friends dad properly maintains his plane, it should be perfectly safe. I love flying and would die for the chance to go up in a small plane. I know it might be a little scary, but just think about what an amazing experience it would be. Maybe talk to your friend and see if he was nervous the first time, maybe he could help

pconnor
January 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM
It is up to you. I would love that chance.

countryplowboy
January 25th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Actually your prob safer than a commercial airliner. My dad has a Beechcraft King Air model 200 its prob the most fussed over and babied aircraft in the state. See private pilots are Very proud and particular with their planes. These things are crazy expensive so pilots do take great care of them flying is awesome!! You should try it

bentheplayer
January 26th, 2017, 07:37 AM
countryplowboy A King Air B200 is very different from what the OP will be flying in. A 4 seater prop is most likely going to be a single engine while a B200 is definitely a multi engine plane. Some models of B200 that weight more than 12500lbs will require the pilot to be type rated. In any case, a B200 which can seat up to 10 pax is hardly comparable to a small leisure plane.

countryplowboy
January 26th, 2017, 09:14 AM
countryplowboy A King Air B200 is very different from what the OP will be flying in. A 4 seater prop is most likely going to be a single engine while a B200 is definitely a multi engine plane. Some models of B200 that weight more than 12500lbs will require the pilot to be type rated. In any case, a B200 which can seat up to 10 pax is hardly comparable to a small leisure plane.

You are very correct. Dad's 200 is a twin turboprop carrying PT6-A pratt whitney engines @ 850 hp ea. I was only using this as an example as to the care and love most private pilots give their aircraft. I would say to anybody wanting to fly with a private pilot of any craft look at it carefully! if its nasty and looks unloved in Any way dont go. He also has a A-36 Beech Bonanza which is a 6 place single it receives same care as the big 200. My dad has flown for over 30 yrs. Since he was a teen himself. I am capable of and do fly the bonanza. I've also flown the 200 with him over my shoulder watching my every move..lol!

bentheplayer
January 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
You are very correct. Dad's 200 is a twin turboprop carrying PT6-A pratt whitney engines @ 850 hp ea. I was only using this as an example as to the care and love most private pilots give their aircraft. I would say to anybody wanting to fly with a private pilot of any craft look at it carefully! if its nasty and looks unloved in Any way dont go. He also has a A-36 Beech Bonanza which is a 6 place single it receives same care as the big 200. My dad has flown for over 30 yrs. Since he was a teen himself. I am capable of and do fly the bonanza. I've also flown the 200 with him over my shoulder watching my every move..lol!

Your dad must be some aviation fan haha. Personally, I would find it hard to justify the cost of having that many planes given their steep depreciation. Anyways aircraft maintenance is only one aspect of aviation safety. Flying can be fun and generally safe but freak accidents still do happen like bird strikes. To play safe, just make sure you or the the plane has adequate insurance coverage for such a possibility.

Dmaxd123
March 1st, 2017, 06:56 PM
muddy sneakers: have you gone up yet?

i have a friend with his PPL and I love going up with him, i'm hoping to one day get my license. the more i read it's very safe the problems are generally pilot error but if he has a lot of experience i'm sure he's going to aim for a nice day when the winds will be calm and visibility spectacular

the more i'm up with my buddy the more he teaches me and pretty much everything on the plane has a duplicate for safety and as someone else said they are built to glide vs helicopters which are built to fall haha

Chaosphere
April 27th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Honestly, even though your caution is warranted and wise, you don't get to be a pilot for years, even a private pilot and not a commercial one, without being pretty fit in mentality and physicality. Honestly, I've been on several such flights, and they are a great opportunity. Bring your camera or phone, because you will probably want to take photos (depending on your area). I'd watch you'r friend's dad do a preflight, but I'd go on the trip if I were you. After doing my due diligence of course.
Hot damn, I've been in an A-36 turbocharged recently, and it was a lot of fun. You're fortunate to have that kind of access to one. They aren't exactly easy to come by.

countryplowboy
April 28th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Honestly, even though your caution is warranted and wise, you don't get to be a pilot for years, even a private pilot and not a commercial one, without being pretty fit in mentality and physicality. Honestly, I've been on several such flights, and they are a great opportunity. Bring your camera or phone, because you will probably want to take photos (depending on your area). I'd watch you'r friend's dad do a preflight, but I'd go on the trip if I were you. After doing my due diligence of course.

Hot damn, I've been in an A-36 turbocharged recently, and it was a lot of fun. You're fortunate to have that kind of access to one. They aren't exactly easy to come by.

Hey! Yea planes are crazy fun! That King Air is badd ass!! The A-36 is fun too and lots easier..dad's talked about getting a turbine A-36..That's overkill imo for that small plane..but dang what a ride!!!