PDA

View Full Version : A Career Plan

Microcosm
November 19th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I've been thinking about what I want to do as a career for a long time, and I'm starting to narrow it down. For reference, I'm in eleventh grade and live in Alabama.

For starters, I'd like to go to the University of Chicago. The tuition for that school is 284,000 dollars out of state for four years undergraduate school. I plan on majoring in English with a minor in Human Rights. According to their calculator, it is estimated that the school will give me 180,000 dollars or so in grant money if I'm accepted. I've been applying for numerous big scholarships and I plan on applying for many more throughout my junior and senior year in High School. I will also get about 11,000 dollars per year throughout my undergraduate years from a private source.

I'm thinking I will probably get accepted into UChicago because my academic record is pretty darn good. By the end of High School, I'll have probably a 4.3-4.5 weighted GPA and probably like a 3.8-3.9 unweighted--estimates of course. I'm in 3 honors societies and I do archery for my school. I'm also in a couple of clubs.

If accepted, I also plan on getting a joint degree in Social Work for my fourth year as an undergraduate. This means that I will work towards a graduate degree during my fourth undergraduate year and then do one more graduate year afterwards to get my Social Work graduate degree.

Afterwards, I plan on either going to UChicago Law School or perhaps taking a few years until I'm about 30 before going to law school. That way, I can do social work until I've saved up plenty of money to do it.

Estimates for median starting salary for UChicago Law School graduates are between 140,000-160,000 dollars per year according to the online sources I've seen. So, if I go to law school when I'm thirty, I could potentially be a millionaire by the time I'm forty if I'm conservative with my money, successful in my law career, and perhaps make some investments in stocks or something like that on the side.

After that,--I'd be about forty at this point-- I could either run for political office, do volunteer work around the world working for a not-for-profit, or something else like that. Basically, life would get fun.

I'd probably develop a proper family and get married during my years doing social work between age 25-30. I could have a kid during that time as well. If I had a kid at 26 or 27, he'd be roundabout 3 or 4 by the time I entered law school.

Any flaws here? Is this unrealistic? Am I dreaming too much?

The plan doesn't seem too bad. As for academic expenses, I could take out loans for any extra money needed, but I wouldn't want to go over about 50,000 dollars in loan debt.

Just JT
November 20th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Is that what you want, or is this a plan you can live with or like because of the financial rewards only?

Vlerchan
November 21st, 2016, 06:45 AM
You're citing the median wage for Chicago graduates in the private sector: about 75% of graduates enter the private sector but it's still worth noting that the public sector wage is less than one third of that (~50,000).

It's also worth factoring in that the private-sector graduates are probably living in areas with quite high costs of living. So whether the sort of disposable income you think you'll have in your thirties is possible is worth further investigation.

Otherwise, so long as you have the grades it's attainable.

Microcosm
November 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
Is that what you want, or is this a plan you can live with or like because of the financial rewards only?

I have little to no passion, but I'm pretty good with English and such. Plus, the financial rewards can be used to do great things. For instance, one item on my bucket list is to donate at least 100,000 dollars to charity. I figure I ought to do something good with my time rather than wasting my time trying to find something that I really enjoy. It's too late for that now and I haven't been able to really find anything.

You're citing the median wage for Chicago graduates in the private sector: about 75% of graduates enter the private sector but it's still worth noting that the public sector wage is less than one third of that (~50,000).

It's also worth factoring in that the private-sector graduates are probably living in areas with quite high costs of living. So whether the sort of disposable income you think you'll have in your thirties is possible is worth further investigation.

Otherwise, so long as you have the grades it's attainable.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. I suppose I'll have to make sure to get good grades and go to work in the private sector.

For the record, my standards of living are far from ostentatious. I won't want anything too fancy, so seeing as I'll be making about 160,000 dollars even in the 25th percentile of the private sector earnings, I figure I'll have a pretty disposable income.

However, remember that from about age 25 to age 30 I want to work in social work before going to law school. I'd definitely have to live in lower quality places for that anyways because the income they make is only about 60-70,000.

Just JT
November 22nd, 2016, 06:14 PM
Hey dan it's never to late to find something you like. It might take time, years, maybe 10 or more to find "that thing". But what ever it is, I don't think there is a need to lay your whole life out like that now. I mean it's good to have goals and some plans and thing like a bucket list. But also things change in life.

Two years ago I never thought I'd be where I am now, I had an entire different perception of who I was and where I was going and what I could do, to how I see myself now. I think I'd study in something that you like, and just spend some time learning more about it. You might find you like something else, close or entirely different.

But I think when you know, without certain, it will not be a question for you, it will just feel normal and natural. So just go with the flow and see what happens and leave your options open.

That's my thoughts, I'd just hate to make such a rigid plan and as you grow up discover you don't like it and end up with regrets, and not happy. Cause in the end that's all that matters.

Sure it's a great goat to donate all that cash to a charity, but also, if you don't have that cash, think about the impact of you volunteering for a charity,and the positive impacts that would have on the causes efforts. Sometimes cash is great, but the volunteers are who make that magic shit really work.

Just saying, not judging

bentheplayer
December 2nd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Have you ever done an attachment with a law firm? Money may seem great for law, IB and medicine but what many don't know is the amount of time and effort needed as well as personal liability while practicing. While it is great that you plan out what you want to achieve, how about try getting some experience of what those jobs entail.

I am currently interested in medicine and after doing an attachment plus shadowing I realized that the money isn't great for the hours and effort needed but is extremely rewarding in other aspects. Make sure you know what you are in for before jumping into it so that you don't find yourself stuck in a place you hate but can't get out. Life would be pretty miserable then and all the money in the world isn't gonna make it better.

Microcosm
December 3rd, 2016, 05:29 PM
Have you ever done an attachment with a law firm? Money may seem great for law, IB and medicine but what many don't know is the amount of time and effort needed as well as personal liability while practicing. While it is great that you plan out what you want to achieve, how about try getting some experience of what those jobs entail.

I am currently interested in medicine and after doing an attachment plus shadowing I realized that the money isn't great for the hours and effort needed but is extremely rewarding in other aspects. Make sure you know what you are in for before jumping into it so that you don't find yourself stuck in a place you hate but can't get out. Life would be pretty miserable then and all the money in the world isn't gonna make it better.

Good point. I am pretty sure I want to go to the University of Chicago; so, I guess when I go there I will look for internships during my undergraduate years where I can experiment with it before I commit.

bentheplayer
December 4th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Good point. I am pretty sure I want to go to the University of Chicago; so, I guess when I go there I will look for internships during my undergraduate years where I can experiment with it before I commit.

Why wait till u get into uni before u start lookinh for internships? Since last year when I was 15 my school have already been pushing us to go for internships or shadowing experiences. The idea is for us to gain early exposure which will give us something to talk about during our uni admission interview. Many unis conduct interviews for the more competitive courses and internships/shadowing is a good way of proving ur interest. It will also enable u to tell them why you are suitable for the course and how you will cope with the demands of the course.

Deerhunter13
December 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Im gonna go to uti or the john derre program for diesel/hydrolics im very interested in it and the typical salary is from 85,000 to 100,000 dollars where im from

Trevor.
December 29th, 2016, 03:11 AM
I've been thinking about what I want to do as a career for a long time, and I'm starting to narrow it down. For reference, I'm in eleventh grade and live in Alabama.

For starters, I'd like to go to the University of Chicago. The tuition for that school is 284,000 dollars out of state for four years undergraduate school. I plan on majoring in English with a minor in Human Rights. According to their calculator, it is estimated that the school will give me 180,000 dollars or so in grant money if I'm accepted. I've been applying for numerous big scholarships and I plan on applying for many more throughout my junior and senior year in High School. I will also get about 11,000 dollars per year throughout my undergraduate years from a private source.

I'm thinking I will probably get accepted into UChicago because my academic record is pretty darn good. By the end of High School, I'll have probably a 4.3-4.5 weighted GPA and probably like a 3.8-3.9 unweighted--estimates of course. I'm in 3 honors societies and I do archery for my school. I'm also in a couple of clubs.

If accepted, I also plan on getting a joint degree in Social Work for my fourth year as an undergraduate. This means that I will work towards a graduate degree during my fourth undergraduate year and then do one more graduate year afterwards to get my Social Work graduate degree.

Afterwards, I plan on either going to UChicago Law School or perhaps taking a few years until I'm about 30 before going to law school. That way, I can do social work until I've saved up plenty of money to do it.

Estimates for median starting salary for UChicago Law School graduates are between 140,000-160,000 dollars per year according to the online sources I've seen. So, if I go to law school when I'm thirty, I could potentially be a millionaire by the time I'm forty if I'm conservative with my money, successful in my law career, and perhaps make some investments in stocks or something like that on the side.

After that,--I'd be about forty at this point-- I could either run for political office, do volunteer work around the world working for a not-for-profit, or something else like that. Basically, life would get fun.

I'd probably develop a proper family and get married during my years doing social work between age 25-30. I could have a kid during that time as well. If I had a kid at 26 or 27, he'd be roundabout 3 or 4 by the time I entered law school.

Any flaws here? Is this unrealistic? Am I dreaming too much?

The plan doesn't seem too bad. As for academic expenses, I could take out loans for any extra money needed, but I wouldn't want to go over about 50,000 dollars in loan debt.

I want to go to Harvard law school. My plan is to go to a early college high school and then go to law school I also want to get a scholarship. If I don't make it to Harvard I might go to Chicago university and we might see each other. It's nice to see that you made a plan for your life but sometime plans don't work out... Remember that :) when there's obstacles all you have to do it go through them

Kyleroe
January 23rd, 2017, 01:45 PM
Very nice and inspiring indeed! I am planning my future too. The thing which I want the most is to go to one of the European universities. My good friend who is older than me went to study to the Czech Republic with the help of the programs he found at http://msmstudy.eu/home/programs/ He says that it is really great to study there, learn other cultures and languages. It is a whole new experience. I hope that I will be able to go there too. This is the plan for the nearest future :) What do you guys think about studying abroad?