PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job but self-concious about my height

Mynameisdean
November 19th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I am pretty skint (or poor) like most teenagers are today. I would love to get a job and I can do that 'retail smile' stuff, whatever really. But, the only thing stopping me is my height. I am a 5ft male and I know this sounds ridiculous but I cannot help but think I will look so out of place working in a retail environment. It would just feel so demoralising and having everyone condescend over you. I don't really know how to get over this to be honest.

Anniebanannie
November 19th, 2016, 06:36 PM
If you have the retail smile and are a good worker and good with customers, people will treat you like a star. You won't be out of place. Please go for it!

everlong
November 19th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Don't let your height get in the way of getting a job. There's no reason to, especially since you can't do anything about it.

Daisy Farell
November 22nd, 2016, 02:08 AM
That's ridiculous :-)
Nobody gives a fuck about your height!
What are you worrying about?
Just look around you and you will see there are loads of people who are short! And loads of people who are really tall too but that can be just as bad!

PinkFloyd
November 22nd, 2016, 02:46 PM
I think you'll do fine. People don't really pay much attention to height.

BlackParadePixie
November 22nd, 2016, 05:07 PM
People don't really pay much attention to height.
It's true. As much as I think people might be judging me or making fun of me...they really don't, at least not to my knowledge. I'm 5' as well and I hate it...but there's not much I can do. So I try my best to just be outgoing and friendly and be the best me I can be.

Just JT
November 22nd, 2016, 08:50 PM
Think about all the perfect physical characteristics people can have that you like or are attracted to. Pile all of them into one person, and what do you have?
A perfect God or goddess. But reality is, there's not one person on earth that's like that. And if they were they'd probably be the meanest, cruelest dumbest clumsiest person you've ever seen.

Everyone's different, and everyone's the same, we all have different atibutes that make us who we are as an individual. So to not do something you want because of how you think someone will view you, is selling yourself short. Because if someone is passing judgement on you for your height, that only meant they feel superior to you because they have a conflicting atribute or trait, and perceive you a this or that without even knowing who you are, and that's called prejudice. It's a human instinct that you can be choose to not let effect your life. The one who is judging you can not.

Who's the better person?

Follow your dreams and don't let anyone get in your way cause of how they make you feel, do it for you, not to support their poor perceptaual skills

bentheplayer
November 23rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
You will be fine. In fact I doubt that anyone, apart from yourself, will even think about your height. You just gotta try be less self-conscious about it and focus on the job on hand. Retail is also an excellent place to build up your confidence as you have to interact and manage different types of people. Think about how you are getting paid to learn a life skill. Treat it like you are in "school".

Mynameisdean
January 22nd, 2017, 03:20 PM
It's true. As much as I think people might be judging me or making fun of me...they really don't, at least not to my knowledge. I'm 5' as well and I hate it...but there's not much I can do. So I try my best to just be outgoing and friendly and be the best me I can be.

Well, I've just had a five year old approach me (at my job) and said that I look out of place working in Tesco and said that I looked 15. Have no idea whether I should be offended as most people think I look 11 haha :D

Surely, it is more 'acceptable' for a girl to be 5ft? That's the general feeling I have got from everyone else.

Himmm2020
February 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM
The only profession where height is even payed attention to is proffesional sports, and even then I've seen relatively short guys perform better than their taller competition. For retail just have confidence and people could not care less about your height.

Don't worry, your worrying is the only thing that could hold you down.

refrigeratorx
February 2nd, 2017, 04:24 PM
I'm sure you'd get more comments in a social setting than in a retail setting. Ur fine, my friend ��