PDA

View Full Version : Should I block friends who didn't wish me happy birthday?

kanye
November 19th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I'm irritated right now that my friends didn't wish me happy birthday on instagram. Like literally I saw that they were liking pictures but couldn't even take 2 freaking seconds to say happy birthday. This isn't just one friend who did this it's a lot of my friends who did that. It really pisses me off that on their birthdays I took time out of my day to wish all of them happy birthday. Right now I feel like blocking all these people.

Amethyst Rose
November 19th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I'd be sad if my friends didn't wish me happy birthday, but it's not the end of the world and you definitely shouldn't block them over something like that. If they're your friends, they care about you; you shouldn't need a post on Instagram to know that.

kanye
November 19th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I'd be sad if my friends didn't wish me happy birthday, but it's not the end of the world and you definitely shouldn't block them over something like that. If they're your friends, they care about you; you shouldn't need a post on Instagram to know that.

I know but it just bothers me because another friend of mine has the same birthday as mine so all the friends that didn't even bother to wish me happy birthday will probably wish him happy birthday since we have almost the same friends.

Melodic
November 19th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I know but it just bothers me because another friend of mine has the same birthday as mine so all the friends that didn't even bother to wish me happy birthday will probably wish him happy birthday since we have almost the same friends.

If you think that, then why are they your friends in the first place?

kanye
November 19th, 2016, 04:13 PM
If you think that, then why are they your friends in the first place?

Because I don't have any other options for friends and it's hard in my school to make new friends since everyone knows each other and everyone is close

Pulp501
November 19th, 2016, 05:05 PM
That's a really petty reason to stop being friends with someone over. Maybe if you invited them all to do something for your birthday and none of them showed or something, but saying happy birthday on social media isn't something that even crosses my mind. I have no friends right now, so I wouldn't end up like me by ruining friendships for no reason.

PlasmaHam
November 19th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I haven't been on this site too long, but it is amazing how many post's I've seen from kids complaining that their friends didn't like them or message them over social media. Some people, like myself, do not heavily rely on social media or feel obligated to respond to every little thing our friends post. People can wish me a happy birthday online, but I don't plan to specifically mark my calendar and wish them a happy birthday when their's comes along. That is simply the way I am.

Wanting to block friends just because they didn't wish you a happy birthday seems pretty selfish and petty on you honestly.

everlong
November 19th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I think that's really a silly reason to block someone. I can see why you might be upset, but if you're going to be that strict about having friends, you're going to have a hard time making and having friends.

kanye
November 19th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I think that's really a silly reason to block someone. I can see why you might be upset, but if you're going to be that strict about having friends, you're going to have a hard time making and having friends.

They've had the audacity to wish my friend happy birthday but not me I just saw the post my friend had put up. I take so much crap from people I've just had enough with this. Should I confront them in Direct message and then block them?

everlong
November 19th, 2016, 08:18 PM
They've had the audacity to wish my friend happy birthday but not me I just saw the post my friend had put up. I take so much crap from people I've just had it should I confront them in Direct message?

I suppose you could. I would avoid being mean about it, just simply ask if they forgot your birthday or something.

kanye
November 19th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Literally all of my friends that ignored my birthday is now wishing my friend happy birthday wow just wow Im just so freaking hurt and pissed off. I don't ask much from people. I treat people better than I treat myself. Why the hell do these friend's think I'm not going to see that they wished him a happy birthday and totally ignored mine. This is the last straw I'm done being nice and caring . I'm going to confront them on Monday.

drhalsey1
November 19th, 2016, 09:20 PM
You're going a bit extreme with this I think. Yes, it is nice to hear it sometimes, but you don't need clear expressions from them, they can be your friends without the expression, and it's possible that you're not seen as their best friend or anything as much as needed to spend their time

SethfromMI
November 19th, 2016, 09:22 PM
don't block them over that. it happens to a lot of people, nothing to get upset over

Babs
November 19th, 2016, 10:59 PM
No, don't be dramatic.

LiamC
November 20th, 2016, 08:54 AM
That's a really silly and petty reason, you'd only regret it. Having lost a best friend recently, I'd say it has to be a pretty damn good reason to cut someone off like that, if you did it for something as petty as not saying happy birthday on Instagram it'd make things worse and you'd lose friends for little to no reason.

Sonicomsk
November 20th, 2016, 10:38 AM
imo that's pretty stupid
you shouldn't dramatize that so much

ItsJustSomeone
November 20th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Literally all of my friends that ignored my birthday is now wishing my friend happy birthday wow just wow Im just so freaking hurt and pissed off. I don't ask much from people. I treat people better than I treat myself. Why the hell do these friend's think I'm not going to see that they wished him a happy birthday and totally ignored mine. This is the last straw I'm done being nice and caring . I'm going to confront them on Monday.

Please, stop and think before you act. If you want to truly solve anything in this situation, your first reaction should be to take a deep breath and think about this. Social media doesn't define the relationship you have with your friends. You shouldn't need a "happy birthday" to know they're your best friends or to kick them out of your life, either. Frankly, that's rather melodramatic and absurd.

If you're this concerned, I suggest you calm down and have a civil conversation with them later on. Do not attack them at first sight or confront them. If you do this, you may end up ruining a potentially meaningful friendship over something which won't matter in the long run. Just ask if they forgot your birthday, or ask why they didn't wish you one. Not everything is what it seems, after all, and there may be a variety of reasons for which they didn't send you their well wishes.

Remember, communication is the key to a solution in conflicts like these. Take it easy, and good luck! ;)

Ben7
November 20th, 2016, 09:57 PM
You probably shouldn't unfriend them. I am confident that they are still genuinely your friends. They might have been busy or not checking instagram or other social media when on your birthday and they might not have realized it. I'm sure some people are busy or don't check social media often or all the time and they might have missed it without meaning to, but that doesn't mean they aren't your friends or that they don't care about you. Unless they have done something more legitimate to justify unfriending them, I wouldn't worry about it and just carry on.

Just JT
November 21st, 2016, 12:52 AM
I'll. St it's some kinda mix up,
Maybe. People saw at the posts and assumed were all for her and didn't realize was you to
Just relay and settle ok!

ClaraWho
November 21st, 2016, 10:52 AM
They've had the audacity to wish my friend happy birthday but not me I just saw the post my friend had put up. I take so much crap from people I've just had enough with this. Should I confront them in Direct message and then block them?

'Audacity'?! Really Kanye? (Lol...)

There are two options here - either all of your friends conspired privately to make sure nobody remembered your birthday, like some secret plot, or...

... or they just didn't know it was your birthday. Hm.

Just talk about what you did for your birthday when you next see them, tell them it feels weird to now be 'x' age, etc. That way they will know it was your birthday and will give you the response your ego so desperately craves. It's nice to have your birthday remembered, but unless it is blatantly obvious that they are aware and dismissive, then it isn't the major issue you have blown it up to be.

Further, nice people don't need rewards for being nice. They just are because that is who they are as a person. If you feel your kindness entitles you to certain perks, and that is your reason behind acting that way, that is not sustainable and everyone will see through it.

Ever watch Suits? Lewis Litt gives gifts expecting that people will then give him what he wants. That's not how the world works. If they really aren't nice people and 'give you crap all the time', then maybe you should think about moving on regardless of birthday wishes.

~ Clara

Dames
November 21st, 2016, 12:39 PM
don't be so conceded, sometimes people don't even realize it your birthday

AutumnWinds
November 26th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I'm irritated right now that my friends didn't wish me happy birthday on instagram. Like literally I saw that they were liking pictures but couldn't even take 2 freaking seconds to say happy birthday. This isn't just one friend who did this it's a lot of my friends who did that. It really pisses me off that on their birthdays I took time out of my day to wish all of them happy birthday. Right now I feel like blocking all these people.

i can completely understand why you're hurt and upset. if it were me i'd tell them, nicely, how much this hurt you. it's up to you what you do, but i think it's a shame to block people over something that can be fixed. what does it really accomplish?

pjones
November 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM
sorry you feel that way. i don't use social media for reasons like this. basically i'm not in 6th grade anymore and won't put up with people who act that way.

jamie_n5
November 26th, 2016, 08:10 PM
You are way over reacting man. People & friends sometimes just don't think about those kind of things. I know that it can make you blue or down not getting Birthday greetings. But to block someone is not the way to handle it. Is breaking up a friendship over not wishing you a happy birthday right? Hell no it's not. Just keep being a friend to them and maybe things will be better next year.

Dying Ember
December 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
I really don't think that's a reasonable reason to block people but I do understand that you might be upset with them

Trevor.
December 30th, 2016, 03:37 AM

I didn't have a post on my insta telling people its my birthday but I know how it feels not to be noticed. Maybe they forgot or was really really busy and weren't on instagram. Just know that you don't need proof to show if your friends love you, you should feel it in the heart. Just chill and Happy late birthday I hope you do good in life. xD there's a birthday wish for you

katie3
December 30th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I never wish happy birthday to people online, I just think it's pointless. If I really like the person I'm gonna call him/her and wish him/her happy birthday (which I never do ;p). Also, I really don't care about people wishing me happy birthday (online or not). If social medias are that important to you and you think you're gonna exert some kind of revenge by blocking your friends, go ahead.

NewLeafsFan
January 5th, 2017, 03:11 AM
Its unfortunate that your friends didn't say happy birthday. Tbh, I din't think that your friends feel as close to you as you do them. I would try to be closer to them, but don't smoother them. Make sure that you still day happy bday to them. Do NOT block them. That will just distance yourself from them.