PDA

View Full Version : Audio - Headsets, etc

Hyper
November 16th, 2016, 06:54 AM
So any particularily audiophilic VTers out there? Not sure how many of you have rich enough parents to be an audiophile (lol)

But was just wondering if there were any.

For the rest of you, what kind of headphones/headsets/speakers do you use/have used and any imperssions of them?

My legendary Koss Portapros died last week so I had to buy a new pair... Since I'm too poor to buy a pair of decent headphones and I live in an Eastern European craphole, where your options for orders are limited, I ended up getting the HyperX Cloud II, since I have a laptop mic and it sucks and I voicechat a fair bit...

I'll post my own impression of these once I work them in.

I really loved the audio of the Koss ones, or really any Koss product so far.

phuckphace
November 16th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Sennheiser is great, but way the fuck out of my price range

I've borrowed an $800 pair of noise-canceling Sennheiser cans, not sure of the exact model but they were VERY comfortable, and needless to say the audio quality was insane even run through a regular Realtek chip without an amp. I also liked the coiled cable they came with.

personally I wouldn't pay more than $300 for any headphones even if I were rich - that amount gets you enough quality as is and anything above that is probably placebo or just a straight up wealth tax.

bonbon
November 16th, 2016, 01:12 PM
I got a Sennheiser Momentum for my birthday last year, and loving it. There was an offer on amazon so my parents got it for half the price, otherwise I wouldn't have received it!

I use a Xonar Essence Stx soundcard with it. Very good card.

everlong
November 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I'm not really an audiophile per se, but I do appreciate good sound. I have Bose speakers for my computer, and Yamaha speakers for my TV and music. I dig them both. I have Skullcandy earbuds and headphones, I like them. I had Klipsch earbuds at one point and I didn't like them. The audio was oddly high pitched and hurt my ears.

Endeavour
November 16th, 2016, 05:41 PM
To be honest, I don't really care what headphones or speakers I use. Yes, a more expensive brand like Sennheiser (which I have owned in the past) are good quality but I'd much rather by a cheaper (but still good) pair of headphones and spend the money on something else.

phuckphace
November 16th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Skullcandy is an absolute ripoff and you should only use them if you get them for free (I'm borrowing my roommate's pair atm because my V-Modas are almost dead)

Porpoise101
November 16th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I have Bose Quietcomfort headphones for when I need to use that. They are quite pricy but I've had them for a long time and I treat them well. Most importantly, they shut out everything else so I don't need to ramp up the volume. It will really save your hearing in the long run.

For earbuds I have a Koss pair I got fairly cheaply.

If you have the opportunity to shop for electronics in another country, then I'd give it a shot. I've seen some stuff in Asian countries which would maybe be 20% more expensive here.

Hyper
November 17th, 2016, 06:59 PM
The really great deals are on Amazon/Newegg/Ebay during black friday..

Yay for Americans.

You can get 600$ Sennheisers for 150$ and other crazy deals like that, but you need to be online checking the moment the black friday sales start since those kind of prices will quickly be over.

Sonicomsk
November 20th, 2016, 10:29 AM
My legendary Koss Portapros died last week so I had to buy a new pair... Since I'm too poor to buy a pair of decent headphones and I live in an Eastern European craphole, where your options for orders are limited, I ended up getting the HyperX Cloud II, since I have a laptop mic and it sucks and I voicechat a fair bit...

>poor
>HyperX Cloud II

you don't really know what does mean to be poor dude
--

personally I'm planning to buy Marshall Major II in future, do they worth the money?

ThisBougieLife
November 20th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I am a bit of an audiophile, yes. My dad is too, so that benefits me :D

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 599 headphones that I just bought to replace my 598s. I've also considered the HD 600, but I didn't see too much benefit in them based on the reviews I read.

I also use a Creative E5 DAC/amp for listening to digital audio (hooking it to my Windows desktop and soon my new MacBook Pro!), and a Technics SL-B35 turntable + Technics SA-150 receiver for listening to analog audio. :)

Hyper
November 20th, 2016, 02:52 PM
>poor
>HyperX Cloud II

you don't really know what does mean to be poor dude
--

personally I'm planning to buy Marshall Major II in future, do they worth the money?

Trust me I do, it's just I buy things with the intent for them to last... So when I spend the 80 euros on them I'm expecting to use them for at least 5 years.

I had alternatives in mind @ 20-55 but for one headsets are absolute trash below 50 in terms of listening to music, since I listen to a lot I was willing to ''splurge''. The problem with the 50~ price range was build quality, review after review about something breaking 3-12 months into use.

If I had a few hundred more I'd be buying a set of headphones @ 150-200 and getting a ModMic to attach to them.

If I had more room, my space is really cramped, I would've bought a decent pair of cheap headphones and gotten a standalone mic, for 5-20$ you can get a better mic than 99.99% gaming headsets have.

As far as I can tell the Marshall Major II is a pretty good for value purchase. There could be better, could be worse. If you listen to a certain genre of music you should pay that in mind as well, some headphones perform very poorly in certain registries.

Dames
November 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
bose soundlink :)

FPFanatic
January 7th, 2017, 08:42 PM
My dad's an audiophile (vast collection of audio equipment he mixes and matches a lot, and 1000 LPs) and has passed the expectation of good sound quality, somewhat, to me.

I have his old Grado SR60 phones from the 90s and a pair of Klipsch R6 earbuds. The buds have nothing on the Grados except for portability.