PDA

View Full Version : Did I pick the wrong college?

Rydar8
November 15th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Hi, i'm afraid I committed to the wrong college. I committed to a college about 800 miles away from where i am right now, and it is nice and warm there. When i visited it, i loved it. I was accepted into the college right away. I have already submitted housing deposits. However recently, i found out i was rejected from the schools honors college, which was one of my main goals. I don't know about attending the school anymore, however it is the only school I applied to and i have no backups (One reason i'm doubting it is because its the south, i should be wearing short sleeved shirts right? I hate short sleeves. I wear sweatshirts year round because I have no muscle, (but i'm slowly working on it) (but that is a different topic)) I have been thinking about this for days and i am still freaking out.

PinkFloyd
November 16th, 2016, 12:55 AM
My advice is to go with your gut. Really ask yourself "In the end, do I really want to go to this school?" If the answer is no, then don't go there. You have quite a while to go to college. People don't seem to realize that you can wait a few years to go after you graduate from high school. It's not really the norm, (at least where I live) but life isn't about conforming to the norm.

Uniquemind
November 16th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I'm researching colleges now and I was encouraged by older friends and relatives to make a spreadsheet with all the qualities that matter per campus that I tour.

1. $ cost
2. Housing availability and type
3. The student support networks and clubs and social outreach
4. The available majors and academic pathways
5. The geographical location and geology of the land the school is built on (gonna affect travel on foot between campus classes, dorm life, or apartment living.

6. Available apartments in the area.

7. What personal friends have said about their experience.

8. Comparing 4-year schools to the local community college and later transfer options.

Microcosm
November 16th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I live in Alabama and it's totally okay to wear long sleeves. The worst you'll get is a confused look when it's summer and you're wearing long sleeves. I've had it happen before, but it's not really that bad.

Plus, in the end anyone who says that to you isn't even going to remember saying it two days later so it's no biggie.

I'd suggest trying to put some perspective on this. Do some research on colleges in general. I started by researching the top colleges in the nation in order to find the best. This website: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities
has a very good customizable college search system. I'd recommend messing around with all the options they have to find colleges that fit the criteria you want.

If you don't have any backups, just look into some. Chances are you'll find one you like. Cost will be a factor, so it's probably best to stay somewhere either in the state that you live in or that is just generally cheaper.

Basically, do the research and it will pay off.

Also, I'd talk to the college's personal advisers and see if it would even be possible to switch schools at this point. If it is, then you're in luck. From the sound of your post, I think you could probably work something out.

Good luck!