PDA

View Full Version : The story of the Franken-motor.

mrmee
November 14th, 2016, 05:22 PM
All of my vehicles are old, including my work truck. This thing has been through hell and back. Its a 1984 Chevy K20 3/4 ton 4WD. Coming out of the factory, it was a 6.2L diesel, painted red, and had custom deluxe trim. The guy that bought it new used it as a work truck for about 1.5 million miles, rebuilding the 6.2L every now and then just because they get worn out after a certain point.

After there was nothing left of it, and the motor was a pile of scrap, he put in a new 5.7L gasser, painted it blue because the red was so worn out youd think it was brown, and upgraded all the trim simply because he had the pieces laying around to make it a Scottsdale.

He put at least 200k more miles on that motor before selling it to me because the motor started knocking and he just didnt want to play with it. I got it cheap so i didnt worry about the knock either. I have used this truck to its full potential. I have had it so weighed down with stone and firewood that the framerail was riding on the rear axle. I have had it for about 200k miles myself, all with that terrible knock.

One day, after unloading well over 2 tons of stone, i was on my way home and the usually deafening knock had gone quiet, so i knew something was wrong. As i approached a small hill, it came back all of a sudden louder than ever for a few seconds, and as i got to the top of the hill, it went "pufff" and died.

The final diagnosis of the death of the trusty rusty "Bessie" was 3 holes in the block by cylinders 4, 6, and 7. I have no idea what-so-ever how it ran with two holes until the final one did it in, or if all three miraculously happened at the same time. All i know is that that motor was fried.

I still liked the truck because it was steel body, the transmission was still the rock solid 3 speed manual with granny gear, and in 4wd all four wheels turn, which is hard to come by in a vehicle before computerized 4WD. I just needed a new motor.

I looked around the shop and found 7 other junk 350's sitting around and wondered if i had enough parts to make one good, functional engine. After hours of labor, many of which were profanity filled and oil covered; i came up with the final product of a Franken-motor. It has the block of one, heads from two others, a carb from one, crankshaft from one, timing system from one, and a lot of miscellaneous parts from all 8.

It is now in the truck, and to my surprise, actually runs! I wonder how long this motor will last or if some other part will finally give first.

ethan-s
November 25th, 2016, 03:18 PM
That's really cool.

CosmicNoodle
December 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
Cool story bro

Hyper
December 8th, 2016, 03:36 AM
Should spray it vomit green...

Then when the paint chips away again you'll have a rat-truck lol.

mrmee
December 30th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Should spray it vomit green...

Then when the paint chips away again you'll have a rat-truck lol.

Maybe if it was a 2wd short bed but a 4x4 long bed isnt exactly a rat platform