PDA

View Full Version : School and Phones

DanJack18
November 13th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Hello I just recently just bought a phone with my own money. Not my parents money. The money that I have worked for at my job. I was just carious If a teacher ever ask for my phone can I say no? because it is my property and it is not my parents property. I have the right to say no right because I own it.

Jinglebottom
November 13th, 2016, 10:39 AM
In my school, it doesn't matter whether you bought the phone with your own money or your parents'. If you're caught using it during class, then the teacher has to take it away (but some will be kind enough to warn you first) since it's the rule. It's not even taken away for long, I can usually get my parents to pick it up for me after school.

Amethyst Rose
November 13th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I don't think buying the phone with your own money has anything to do with it, it's about being responsible with it. At my school, if you're caught using it during class without prior permission (we're able to listen to music while we work but the phone has to be up on the desk so it can be seen) or caught texting or on social media, you will get detention.

Endeavour
November 13th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Yeah. Our school are super strict about phones. If you're caught using it, it gets taken away. If it beeps because your battery is low, it gets taken away. They say it gets taken away until the end of the year, but in reality you can pick it up at the end of the day. If it happens enough times (and it has happened to some people) they can call your parents in, and look through it for any inappropriate content (the law here is technically you can't have a photo of a under 16 year old without their parent's consent.)

DanJack18
November 13th, 2016, 11:10 AM
In my school, it doesn't matter whether you bought the phone with your own money or your parents'. If you're caught using it during class, then the teacher has to take it away (but some will be kind enough to warn you first) since it's the rule. It's not even taken away for long, I can usually get my parents to pick it up for me after school.

But it is your property that can't do anything about if you say no. because it is your property.

Jinglebottom
November 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
But it is your property that can't do anything about if you say no. because it is your property.
It doesn't matter, you're on school grounds and technically if you're going against the rules (in this case, using your phone during class) they have the right to penalize you.

Uranus
November 13th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Does it say anywhere it's against the law to use a phone at school? HELL NO. I could give less of a fuck if it's against the school's rules. No way am I going to hand over my phone to some fuck and let them do what they want. It ain't leaving my hands or pocket I tell you that

PlasmaHam
November 13th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Does it say anywhere it's against the law to use a phone at school? HELL NO. I could give less of a fuck if it's against the school's rules. No way am I going to hand over my phone to some fuck and let them do what they want. It ain't leaving my hands or pocket I tell you that

No where in the law does it say that the school has to keep you enrolled either. So if you follow this vein of advice then expect serious consequences.

Microcosm
November 14th, 2016, 11:32 PM

In school, you pretty much don't have property rights or privacy rights to a large extent. They legally can check your lockers and confiscate phones. It's dumb but it is what it is.

Muddy Sneakers
November 17th, 2016, 09:13 PM
On school property , probably in every state, schools have the right to set certain rules, even if they seem stupid - like what you can wear and if and how you can use a phone -- and some rules that make sense - like you can't bring a gun or drugs. It makes no difference whether you own the gun obviously. I can't imagine they can keep the phone permanently but maybe they can take it away from you during class.

dude_g
December 11th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Your teacher can take it