PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 7.4 earthquake strikes New Zealand

phuckphace
November 13th, 2016, 07:47 AM
again :(

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-quake-newzealand-idUKKBN1380CJ

An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.4 struck central New Zealand just after midnight (1102 GMT Sunday), the U.S. Geological Survey said, knocking out power in some areas and sending people into the streets of the capital Wellington.

New Zealand's Civil Defence issued a tsunami warning, advising residents on the South Island's east coast to seek higher ground.

The quake was 91 km (57 miles) north-northeast of Christchurch, the biggest city on New Zealand's South Island. A 6.3 quake there in February 2011 killed 185 people and caused widespread damage.

I'm just hoping this doesn't cause a tsunami - depending on the quake and its "direction", other coasts across the Pacific could also be affected.

Twitter is blowing up with Kiwis tweeting photos of the damage, ranging from fully collapsed houses, damaged roofs to flipped bookcases. scary shit!

Paraxiom
November 13th, 2016, 05:13 PM
So two people are confirmed dead so far, and the tsunami threat has been at least downgraded significantly. It's not as bad I expected it would be, nevertheless they need all the help they can get.

Earthquake-resistant structures are the way to go for building there, like Japan.

Gumleaf
November 14th, 2016, 05:57 AM
NZ have had a bad run with earthquakes. I feel very sorry for them. Luckily this quake hit in a rural area and the bigger cities like Christchurch and Wellington didn't feel the full brunt of the quake. The damage to house, infrastructure and natural landscapes seems to be significant from the pics I've seen. Road tunnels have caved in, there have been landslides and in one case a house was literally removed from its foundations. Crazy stuff!

Gwen
November 14th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Lots of local structural damage in Wellington from according to a cousin of mine :(
I'm very happy that there have been little deaths though.

Falcons_11
November 18th, 2016, 07:23 PM
New Zealand was victim to a major earthquake that took many lives and property on South Island. Let's extend our prayers and sympathies to all those people who were affected by this bad earthquake.