PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks

phuckphace
November 13th, 2016, 12:09 AM
time for me to flop down on the shrink couch and lay some intimate deetz on y'all. I've only ever had two panic attacks in my life, once when I was 18 and again last Saturday, and I'm curious to see how my experiences stack up with everyone elses' since this is still kind of new to me.

both happened while I was at work and under immense, overwhelming pressure, which I'm assuming is a common trigger. both lasted roughly 15 minutes, and the strangest part was this weird "missing time" thing where I'd glance at the clock afterwards to see that time had suddenly jumped forward by a quarter-hour. it begins with a dull roar in my ears that gets louder and louder until I go temporarily deaf, and when it ends I have only a faint recollection of what happened in the intervening period. last Saturday, I ended up by myself at work for several hours with no help and a literal mountain of shit to deal with ("we're $400 over on labor," boss says as the dining room fills up with guests) and naturally I was getting angrier and angrier by the minute. the last thing I remember when it started was slamming shit around at lightning speed, but didn't hear any noise over the roaring in my ears. my coworkers told me later that I was making these weird guttural sobs (which I don't remember) and apparently broke some stuff by slamming it around as well as knocking more shit onto the floor (don't remember doing that either). the first thing I remember after coming out of it was getting a sympathetic hug from one of my managers, who handed me a napkin for my bloody mouth (I had been biting down on my tongue, weirdly enough it didn't hurt) and my body felt very off-kilter and dizzy.

she sent me home early that evening, and the weird dissociation sort of just melted away after about an hour, and I felt perfectly fine and back to normal soon after, laughing and joking around with my roommates. my default mood is generally positive and easy-going, which has been the case ever since it happened last week. I'm just thankful that I didn't turn violent and start attacking people, which seems like a definite possibility given the fact that I don't remember doing what I did. perhaps I was abducted by capitalist aliens who probed my anus for extra pennies.

questions for any peeps who may have had similar experiences:

- how many panic attacks have you had, and how frequent are they?
- is there anything in particular that seems to set them off?
- have you ever attacked anyone during, or otherwise become violent to the point where you had to be restrained?
- have you experienced any similar "missing time"? about how long was it?
- is there anything that seems to help prevent or lessen the attacks?

in my case, I'm thinking that the best solution for dealing with being overwhelmed at work is just going home when it starts to get bad, since I'm worried about hurting someone unintentionally or otherwise doing something stupid, and because it isn't worth an extra $20 anyway.

StoppingTom
November 13th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Like 2-3, they aren't very common but they do occur

A lot of stress and slips into depressive episodes

- have you ever attacked anyone during, or otherwise become violent to the point where you had to be restrained?

nope i just isolate myself from everyone

once, it was a few hours

medication, and the fact i've become emotionally dead inside helps me bottle it down

Phosphene
November 13th, 2016, 02:02 PM
2 I think, and come very close a few other times.

A lot of stress/anxiety, bad arguments (depending on the people involved), and also certain things at school I'd rather not go into detail about.

No.

I don't actually "miss time" - after the fact when I think back, I know everything I was doing at the time but it's a little blurry.

When I feel like I'm getting to where I might have one I isolate myself and try to calm down the best I can.

Sailor Mars
November 13th, 2016, 03:25 PM
lmao i like how all the replies have been mods so far

Can't remember exactly how many I've had but I know 3 off the top of my head. They aren't too frequent but they happen

Besides being absolutely horrible at life and having an overactive mind, no

Uh no but I do remember a time when I was having a panic attack and I had to be held back from leaving the house (which honestly made it worse) or going to the kitchen

nope, or none that I remember (See what i did there)

not so far. I don't take medication and as much as I hate to show it, I'm an emotional mess so... yeah.

Babs
November 13th, 2016, 11:03 PM
how many panic attacks have you had, and how frequent are they? I don't have them often anymore, but there was a period of time where I had them quite often.

is there anything in particular that seems to set them off? different things. Sometimes they were irrational things, with one particular time being paranormal in nature. Other times because of a more realistic issues.

have you ever attacked anyone during, or otherwise become violent to the point where you had to be restrained? No.

have you experienced any similar "missing time"? about how long was it? No.

is there anything that seems to help prevent or lessen the attacks? I've gotten better at coping and grounding myself that has pretty much eradicated 90% of my anxiety-related problems. Much less of an on-the-spot prevention method, but rather a more permanent attitude change over time. However, when I do start feeling it, taking deep breaths and sorting through the issue objectively is what helps me.