PDA

View Full Version : Walling Off

Porpoise101
November 10th, 2016, 08:50 PM
If Donald Trump is to pursue an isolationist foreign policy by 'walling off', what will be the ramifications on a global level?

Adarest
November 10th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Severely less import/export stuff. Less foreign affairs and assistance. No more of the USA getting into other people's business. Look man, I'm bad at politics, but this is the best I could come up with.

phuckphace
November 11th, 2016, 10:01 AM
peace on Earth and goodwill towards man?

okay that's probably a stretch, but it would be ironic and funny if Psycho Orange Hitler ushers in a new era of Pax Americana

Paraxiom
November 11th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I really don't know, but I am somewhat optimistic that lesser unnecessary political interference by the US will be beneficial globally.

Gwen
November 12th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Hopefully no more obnoxious seasons of "USA World's Police". Can't wait for their upcoming spinoff though, "USA: Prison of the Self".

phuckphace
November 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
TIRED: World Police
WIRED: Border Patrol

need mo money fo dem pogroms!

lliam
November 12th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Can't wait for their upcoming spinoff though, "USA: Prison of the Self".

yeah, that'll be a great show. :D

Porpoise101
November 19th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I guess no one here has faith in Global American Leadership.

It's definitely not fair, or even justified at times. But at least it promotes stability and trade throughout the world*. There is something to be said for that. China is not ready to assume the mantle of Singular Superpower, so the US cowing out is somewhat worrying. It may give that Russian Putin a few mischevious ideas about his place in the world.

*For cooperative regimes

Kahn
November 20th, 2016, 12:07 AM
I guess no one here has faith in Global American Leadership.

It's not that I don't have faith in it. Personally, I feel that it is inappropriate and unecessary at this point. Our presence, in a coercive and policy making sense, needs to steadily decrease. I am a firm believer in strong regional government. We have our hands in too many cookie jars.

Protect our interests abroad. Protect our citizens abroad. Allow foreign government to do their thing. Go back to our neutral disposition in regards to foreign conflict unless American assets are injured/damaged. Treat everybody on the world stage as an equal, and respect sovereignty. That's my idea for modern American foreign policy.

It may give that Russian Putin a few mischevious ideas about his place in the world.

Pls elaborate. Like, you think Putin will become aggressive?

Porpoise101
November 21st, 2016, 06:53 PM
It's not that I don't have faith in it. Personally, I feel that it is inappropriate and unecessary at this point.

I'm just curious, when does it become inappropriate and unnecessary? At what point in our history did we go so far that it became better to separate ourselves and not position ourselves as global leaders?

Our presence, in a coercive and policy making sense, needs to steadily decrease. I am a firm believer in strong regional government. We have our hands in too many cookie jars.

So you would be in favor of regional hegemony? You see, the issue with that idea is that it promotes war between the competing spheres of influence. And I want to promote more peace, that is my ideal. Better to have one Iraq once in a while compared to a bunch of wars around the world in my view. You may ask why there will be more war and bloodshed, and that is because the regional hegemon will always have a desire to expand their sphere. I actually view history through this lens, as competing interests fighting then expanding, the reduction of more hegemons until there is only one. Occasionally there will be a multipolar scenario as Britain faced after WW1. But as a whole, we should strive for one singular superpower, and ideally one with Good Western Values.

Protect our interests abroad. Protect our citizens abroad. Allow foreign government to do their thing. Go back to our neutral disposition in regards to foreign conflict unless American assets are injured/damaged. Treat everybody on the world stage as an equal, and respect sovereignty. That's my idea for modern American foreign policy.

I am not sure on this, but the only way that we will be taken seriously and that people will respect our interests is if we hold sway with others and treat them with dignity as you are saying. I think it would also be in the American interest to promote international cooperation for one thing. Another issue is the promotion of democracy and liberal governments. It's a worthy cause for sure, as democracies tend not to fight each other, and instead trade with each other. Our status as superpower is not going to last much longer. We aught to take advantage of it while we can. This doesn't mean oil wars either. It means taking a stand on human rights violations, fighting against the violation of territorial sovereignty, and pushing for the cooperation of the nations to solve international issues.

Pls elaborate. Like, you think Putin will become aggressive?

Maybe. He is an opportunist. I am pretty leery as whole about the Russian Federation as a whole. It's doomed to be authoritarian, with all of the ethnic divisions and separatist movements. That means the Russian people will continue to suffer and they will always be the victims of power games. I'm sure Vlad will find another Oppressed Russian Minority needed to justify the expansion of their influence. But with neutrality, I can be sure that he will act upon it, and this will be the beginning of the end of a generally stable world order.

Vlerchan
November 21st, 2016, 07:20 PM
I'm in a weird position where I am optimistic about the United State's role in the world but don't feel it has exercised it usefully in the years since I was born.

Protect our interests abroad.
Would you consider it a fair argument that the United States benefits so dramatically from the maintenance of the current global order that it whatever losses it suffers in its maintenance are more than compensated in such.

That a lot of Americans have turned inwards in the last few years is wholly unfortunate.

But as a whole, we should strive for one singular superpower, and ideally one with Good Western Values.
Effectively my entire foreign policy worldview in one sentence.

I'm sure Vlad will find another Oppressed Russian Minority needed to justify the expansion of their influence.
Let us all recall that Tsarist Russia spent the entire 19th century jumping to the defense of oppressed Orthodox Christians in the Balkans - as a veil to encroach on Ottoman territory.