PDA

View Full Version : I'm Grounded for 6 months

Riley2015
November 5th, 2016, 03:07 AM
My dad threatened it enough times and now finally he has grounded me for 6 months. Not allowed out at all after school or weekends and school breaks for 6 months.My computer, phone, playstation, tv and everything is confiscated. i am using my sisters laptop quickly while my dads still in bed, i don't know when i will get another chance to sneak on

What happened was i got into a fight with a boy at school and a few other boys tried to break us both up and they ended up getting hurt too. In the end a teacher had to break us apart. While i admit it was stupid to get into a fight, i keep thinking do i really deserve 6 months grounded for this? Isn't this punishment a bit extreme? Ugh, i hate my life sometimes

Anyway i'll come back when i can

Do you guys think i deserve 6 months grounded over just a fight?!

Just JT
November 5th, 2016, 05:22 AM
6 months is a long time bro. Could be worse. Perhaps you learned something about fighting

ImCoolBeans
November 5th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Six months sounds a little harsh, but it will make you think twice before jumping in a fight at school next time.

Endeavour
November 5th, 2016, 08:34 AM
To be honest, if your dad kept giving you warnings, I think it was justified for him to ground you. Six months is a long time, but hopefully this time will help you reflect on what you've done and why it was wrong.

Ragle
November 5th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Didn't you have a similar thread with this topic when you were 13?

Anyway, all best, we think of you ... until next year.

Amethyst Rose
November 5th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Six months is a little extreme, but think of it from your dad's point of view: he wouldn't have given you this lengthy of a punishment if he didn't care. He just wants you to learn from it, really think about why it was wrong and make sure it won't happen again. I also agree with Lost Horizon - if he warned you previously, it should have been in the back of your mind when you got in that fight.

everlong
November 5th, 2016, 10:16 AM
I think I'm going to agree with everyone else. It's kind of a stupid thing to do, especially if you received numerous warnings, but 6 months is way too long. I don't think you should be kept captive socially for that long.

Flapjack
November 5th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I have never known anyone to get grounded for such a long time but tbh it was your fault for fighting and you did hurt people who was trying to break you up and I am pretty sure you started the fight as you wouldn't be punished for self defence so I think the punishment is fair.

If you do that when you're older you could go to prision.

Ya know what they say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I personally don't believe in such harsh punishments but I understand it. I doubt you will get in another fight so I suppose it is a good punishment.

jamie_n5
November 5th, 2016, 11:02 AM
6 months is quite long. You said that you were warned several times so maybe this is just punishment. Maybe if you really are good and help out around the house with chores and are extra helpful and kind to your family your dad may shorten your punishment.

ClaraWho
November 7th, 2016, 04:19 AM
It seems in most of your posts you have got involved in a violent altercation and are being punished for it. This does not bode well for your future.

An inability to control one's anger is a slippery slope. You are 14 now, heading into territory were 'a fight' becomes 'an assault on a member of the public, GBH or manslaughter'. Not only did you attack someone who bested you verbally, but you assaulted several bystanders. What if they had been strangers or the police? The charges multiply and you end up in a Young Offender's Institute.

And what happens there? You lose freedom. For 6 months or longer. So I'd say your parents are doing you a favour by giving you a taste of reality outside of the school playground. And don't think you are protected there. A kid at my school got punched and his parents had the police get involved for assault, as there is no 'protection against the law' granted by school rules. You are still a citizen and must be law-abiding now you are a teenager.

And I say the other boy 'bested you verbally' because of how you reacted. If you have allowed someone's words to break you, to make you lash out, then you have lost and are the weaker boy. In a legal scenario he would walk away with some bruises, they'd be gone in a week and he'd be out enjoying himself - whilst you would spend the next 6 months locked up and with a criminal record. Who won? Was it worth it?

~ Clara

Riley2015
November 8th, 2016, 02:27 AM
It seems in most of your posts you have got involved in a violent altercation and are being punished for it. This does not bode well for your future.

An inability to control one's anger is a slippery slope. You are 14 now, heading into territory were 'a fight' becomes 'an assault on a member of the public, GBH or manslaughter'. Not only did you attack someone who bested you verbally, but you assaulted several bystanders. What if they had been strangers or the police? The charges multiply and you end up in a Young Offender's Institute.

And what happens there? You lose freedom. For 6 months or longer. So I'd say your parents are doing you a favour by giving you a taste of reality outside of the school playground. And don't think you are protected there. A kid at my school got punched and his parents had the police get involved for assault, as there is no 'protection against the law' granted by school rules. You are still a citizen and must be law-abiding now you are a teenager.

And I say the other boy 'bested you verbally' because of how you reacted. If you have allowed someone's words to break you, to make you lash out, then you have lost and are the weaker boy. In a legal scenario he would walk away with some bruises, they'd be gone in a week and he'd be out enjoying himself - whilst you would spend the next 6 months locked up and with a criminal record. Who won? Was it worth it?

~ Clara

Clara, i really don't want to argue with you again because i seem to recall we have had a few disagreements in the past and i don't want to fall out again. But you make a lot of assumptions in your posts, i've noticed this before. You assume that i started the fight but why do you assume that? Nowhere in my post did i say that i started it. You haven't asked me anything about it or why it happened, you just jumped in with your assumptions that the fight was all my fault ,that i started it and that the other boy bested me verbally. How do you know that i attacked him? i didn't say that i attacked him, i said i got into a fight, i didn't say that i started it . How do you know that he didn't attack me first?

I'm not saying that i'm not at fault, i'm just saying that its not always good to jump straight to conclusions and i don't think its fair that you assume its all my fault and he is the victim. Why am i assigned total blame and not the other boy too? Maybe i'm the one who could press assault charges. I don't understand why you think that if i have a fight it must be me who threw the first punch, its like you think i am some kind of horrible person. i know i did wrong to fight but there was fault on both sides. We had a fight, it was both of us being as bad as each other and both sharing the blame

I agree its not good to get into fights, i can't defend it really or say that i am not in the wrong. All i can say is we were both as bad as each other, not just me on my own

And btw he threw the first punch, not me. My problem was failure to walk away from it because it made me angry. I don't go around randomly attacking people. Yes i have got into fights, usually when both myself and the other boy are both being idiots

But the boy i had a fight with is certainly no victim. His parents have punished him too and the school punished us both with detention and put us both on report as they said there was fault on both sides and we were as bad as each other. They made us sit down and talk and we shook hands and called a truce and we were made to apologise to the other boys who got caught up in it. We agreed to put it behind us but i guess we will never be mates.

Uniquemind
November 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
In this particular instance I agree with the grounding.

However, I do believe your dad is an ineffective parent because punishments do not seem to influence your actual actions.

When fighting I've noticed it's best to disable the opponent rather than through punches back, so you can use that as proof of being defensive once school officials question you.

I suspect you feel so oppressed at home, that your anger is really easy to trigger and you snap at school more easily.

This is why history with this issue with you is cyclical.

popcorn 1
November 8th, 2016, 02:58 PM
been there myself, back than i thought its to long but my dad didnt. like yours. try to learn from that,dude, what other to say

Dames
November 21st, 2016, 12:43 PM
damn that sucks, the worst i ever had was like 1 week grounding