PDA

View Full Version : UK government must consult parliament before commencing Brexit process

Vlerchan
November 4th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal discussions with the EU - on its own.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

Parliamentary sovereignty is great except when it's not. Will be appealed - of course.

Edit: Pound and FTSE250 had modest jumps.

Leave rhetoric has also gotten ultra-populist.

---

Oh - I also don't think parliament would vote it down. Lots of Labourites in particular are from constituencies with high levels of support for Brexit - and it wasn't too long ago that one of their leading members claimed that Labour wouldn't vote it down if it was put to parliament. What could happen though is opposition MPs could work to bring it to an election and have a second run at convincing the public to vote: No.

Welcome back, Tony.

I also just realised that if the government appeal to the Supreme Court fails - and the little I've read is indicating it will fail - then the case would have to be taken to the European Court of Justice: will Lol when the European Court rules that a sovereign parliament is paramount under British law.

Double: apologies.

http://static1.uk.businessinsider.com/image/581c4d8a8e87c01e008b45bd-538/mail-front-page.png

Breaking: The rule of law is great except when it's not.

"unelected panel".

Posts merged, please edit next time. ~Amethyst_

phuckphace
November 5th, 2016, 12:06 AM
such a parcel of Rogues in a nation, you might say

they may be enemies of the people but those weaves are sick, I must admit

Paraxiom
November 6th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I see.

What do you make of Kenny's comments on him knowing that Article 50 will be 'triggered' next month? All it made me think was of another example of me not liking him, for self-evident reasons...

Those judge wigs always look like dismembered sitting room rugs to me, as it happens.