PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook Pro Oct. 29ish unveil. Reaction?

Uniquemind
November 2nd, 2016, 12:32 AM
I was hoping to buy the new MacBook 13 or 15 inch, but they got rid of all the typical USB slots, and the SD and HDMI slots.

Did anybody else share this reaction?

And for like $2700, it just doesn't seem like a good value at all.

Even the glowing apple logo on the computer is gone.

PinkFloyd
November 2nd, 2016, 01:18 AM
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I really love it. It's nearly five years old, but it certainly doesn't feel nearly that old.

That being said... Apple computers are way overpriced and a major waste of money. My MacBook was $2000. The money wasn't spent by me, so I love it, but had it been my money, I'd be so pissed because for that money, I could have bought a seriously amazing gaming computer with nearly five times the capabilities of the MacBook I have. What you're paying for is the Apple logo and sleek design of the computer. Seriously, Macs are no better than a typical laptop like an Asus, HP, Lenovo or whatever other normal, everyday brand. My advice is to buy a PC with either an AMD A10 or Intel i7 processor. You'll have a bigger screen and a faster, better computer than any Mac could ever dream to be. the best part is all of that will only be like $750.

One thing Apple does well though is take care of its customers. I've had a few cables in my laptop go bad, and Apple waved the fees because I was a customer of theirs. Basically if you buy their overpriced crap, they'll treat you right.

Uniquemind
November 2nd, 2016, 02:09 AM
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I really love it. It's nearly five years old, but it certainly doesn't feel nearly that old.

That being said... Apple computers are way overpriced and a major waste of money. My MacBook was $2000. The money wasn't spent by me, so I love it, but had it been my money, I'd be so pissed because for that money, I could have bought a seriously amazing gaming computer with nearly five times the capabilities of the MacBook I have. What you're paying for is the Apple logo and sleek design of the computer. Seriously, Macs are no better than a typical laptop like an Asus, HP, Lenovo or whatever other normal, everyday brand. My advice is to buy a PC with either an AMD A10 or Intel i7 processor. You'll have a bigger screen and a faster, better computer than any Mac could ever dream to be. the best part is all of that will only be like $750.

One thing Apple does well though is take care of its customers. I've had a few cables in my laptop go bad, and Apple waved the fees because I was a customer of theirs. Basically if you buy their overpriced crap, they'll treat you right.

See idk too much about computers, my older cousins are trying to bring me up to speed though.

I have enjoyed a hand-me-down MacBook Pro 2009 edition from same cousins when they upgraded. But I can feel it's slowness.

No doubt I will be leaving apple products, but I will miss the display and miss out on the retina display of the newer but not the newest MacBook pros.

I've looked at some PC's but I've always found PC screens don't handle the glare or reflections as well as Mac screens. I don't know if that's my personal bias though.

What I'm currently looking at now are the Thinkpad line of products from Lenovo. Any thoughts on those products?

phuckphace
November 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Apple marketing is very good at "innovating" things that you went your whole life without, and convincing you that you need this new gizmo that you didn't know about last week.

I like MacOS but literally the only way I would own any Mac is if it were given to me for zero dollars. their absurdly high hardware markup on Foxconn parts from CHY-NA (who, might I remind you, we're getting tough on) is an absolute dealbreaker.

PinkFloyd
November 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
See idk too much about computers, my older cousins are trying to bring me up to speed though.

I have enjoyed a hand-me-down MacBook Pro 2009 edition from same cousins when they upgraded. But I can feel it's slowness.

No doubt I will be leaving apple products, but I will miss the display and miss out on the retina display of the newer but not the newest MacBook pros.

I've looked at some PC's but I've always found PC screens don't handle the glare or reflections as well as Mac screens. I don't know if that's my personal bias though.

What I'm currently looking at now are the Thinkpad line of products from Lenovo. Any thoughts on those products?

I'm not a computer expert, but I know some. If you like MacBook, you'll like laptops called Ultrabooks. What ultrabooks are are lightweight, and often sleek designed computers with a lot of power. Thinkpads are great. They're a bit pricey, but definitely really nice. You could also check out the Asus Zenbook. I'd recommend googling ultrabooks, and you'll find lots of good ideas.

jdhud024
November 2nd, 2016, 11:26 PM
If I didn't have a 2015 13 inch retina MacBook Pro I would buy one, but my Pro is more than sufficient for all the YouTube I watch. Really besides Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, and Photoshop, all I do is watch YouTube with it lol.

My next Apple purchase is a plastic Black MacBook from 2008 because goddamn those things are so sexy. I've always wanted one.

Sonicomsk
November 5th, 2016, 12:09 AM
My next Apple purchase is a plastic Black MacBook from 2008 because goddamn those things are so sexy. I've always wanted one.
You own it already? I want to buy such too, but... model is pretty old, won't it be freezing, lagging etc?

Endeavour
November 5th, 2016, 07:01 AM
I currently have a 2015 macbook air, and I really like it. I just looked up the new macbook pro and to be honest, it doesn't look that great. I use the function keys at the top of the keyboard quite a lot and for that to change would be quite confusing. Also getting rid of the USB ports is an awful idea too in my opinion.

jdhud024
November 6th, 2016, 06:31 PM
They run older Mac OS X versions, but I don't care. They may lag, but I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro so I don't need/want it to be fast. I mainly want it because its cool. I haven't bought one yet, I plan to in the next week or so.

I bought a iBook G3 from 2003 or so in May just because old Apple iBooks are really cool. The thing is slow as hell and not really useable, but it is in really good condition and the battery is good too. They're really rare in good condition like mine. I managed to get mine for $13 on eBay, and usually in good condition like mine they're at least $50 because of how rare they are.

ThisBougieLife
November 8th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I ordered one a few days after it came out. 15" maxed out save the 2 TB SSD. Should be one beast of a machine. I don't care much about the removal of the ports provided the headphone jack still has optical audio out, but apparently the 13" non-touch does not, so I'm not holding my breath. That'll be disappointing because I use that port for my DAC.

Luckily my dad paid for most of it because he had promised me a new laptop for college. Didn't think I'd have to wait this long, but Apple spent a lot of time on that stupid touch bar...

phuckphace
November 8th, 2016, 09:34 PM
I ordered one a few days after it came out.

I read this part and was about to ask if you've got extra any extra money weighing you down, I'd be happy to relieve you of the burden :3

EuRo
November 8th, 2016, 10:06 PM
All Apple devices look beautiful, and the OS in them is easy to use, but the cons, at least in my opinion, outweigh the pros. Apple devices are horrifically overpriced for what you're getting inside, the OS is very restrictive. This critique also carries onto the new Mac. It looks nice, but for the specifications it carries, it's garbage.

Hyper
November 9th, 2016, 09:43 PM
My reaction?

lolApple.

bonbon
November 10th, 2016, 10:37 PM
My reaction?

lolApple.
This.

Really, those machines are not bad at all, but they are overpriced.

Hyper
November 11th, 2016, 05:10 AM
This.

Yep... The whole OS ''is so much better'' is a joke as well.

They've made Windows so dumber friendly that anyone can use it.

And if you are a geek you'll be using Linux/FreeBSD/Some other OS anyway

bonbon
November 11th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Yep... The whole OS ''is so much better'' is a joke as well.

They've made Windows so dumber friendly that anyone can use it.

And if you are a geek you'll be using Linux/FreeBSD/Some other OS anyway

I'm indeed a geek, according to that definition :D I've already tried MacOsX before, it is ok, but I don't really get the hype around it.

Reise
November 11th, 2016, 09:32 AM
I had a MacBook Pro back in the day. I was frustrated that my CPU was at 93c (~200F) when running Minecraft, one day mental breakdown and I bought a high-end gaming laptop running Fallout 4 in ultra at 64c (~147F).

One of the worst thing with MacBooks is the TN screen, I don't know how you can't be ashamed to say that you're doing Photoshop and other image editing things on a so low quality screen. Plus, before Retina MacBooks had at best a resolution of 900p (the old 17" MacBook Pro was perhaps at 1080p but that would surprise me).

Getting rid of USB&SD is non sense, I get the point of USB-C but seriously considering the number of things that are using an USB (3 or anterior) to connect this is just crazy.

Though Apple's track pads are the only ones I can handle, for any other laptop I'm 100% mouse.

jdhud024
November 13th, 2016, 08:23 PM
This.

They are extremely overpriced. Yes, I would buy one if I didn't have a 2015 rMBP, but I would buy either refurbished or a slightly used, older MBP off of eBay. The only reason I would pay/ have paid for the overpriced machines is because I love Mac OS X.

I would switch to Linux, but a lot of the software I use isn't available.

I would go back to Windows, but after Windows 7, I haven't been a fan of Windows. Plus, a lot of the software I use isn't available on Windows anyway.

mrmee
November 15th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I hate Apple. Their computers are too morbidly slow and way overpriced. I bought an HP Pavilion g6 new with windows 7 that has a 3.2GHz turbo processor and 4GB or ram plus another 4GB card i installed myself for less than $300. It plays Fallout 4 & GTA V without a hitch. Id recommend HP computers for anyone