PDA

View Full Version : Not Replying To Old Posts Rules

Freckles
November 1st, 2016, 10:04 PM
I've been repremanded a couple of times for commenting on a post that I didn't notice was more than 3 months old. When I read a post I don't look at the date it was posted. Why aren't they just deleted if we can't reply to them? Not being disrespecful just wondering why they're still there if we can't respond.

azure moonstone
November 1st, 2016, 10:13 PM
When I read a post I don't look at the date it was posted.

Seriously, you're asking to change the rules because of your own admitted ignorance.

Regardless of that, deleting threads just because they are old would just make everyone's post count very, very low. It would probably cause a lot of members, if they were not constantly active, to lose their ability to private message.

Amethyst Rose
November 1st, 2016, 10:19 PM
As per the site rules, the bump limit is 2 months. The only exceptions to this are if the thread is in a member diary, the arcade, or if you are the OP. Old threads aren't deleted because depending on the topic, the content in them may still be relevant and answer members' questions. I hope that clears things up.

Freckles
November 1st, 2016, 10:28 PM
Seriously, you're asking to change the rules because of your own admitted ignorance.

In some threads you don't have to go far down the age to get old posts. This makes me ignorant? In most you don't have to get past the first page. When I read the forums it's to have fun and relate to others. I'm sorry i posted this thread.

Elysium
November 1st, 2016, 10:29 PM
What Emerald Dream and Amethyst_ said is both correct. Not to mention how much work it would create for our staff.

Besides, the OP of a thread is always welcome to come back and revive it, no matter how old it is.

Abhorrence
November 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
You don't actually get "reprimanded" for posting in old threads, you simply get a notification. The only time you'll ever receive an actual warning about posting in old threads is if you are clearly just spamming the forums for +1 posts.

Uranus
November 2nd, 2016, 08:35 AM
Yea that's not going to happen. Deleting old threads would really impact post counts, which really isn't fair to people as they can very well lose a high number of posts.
You should try to just take one second of your time just to check whether or not the post is older than 2 months. If not well then you're going to keep getting messages. Only solution I see is you checking the date of the last post.

phuckphace
November 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
tbh fam I think the staff (peace be upon them) are tripping a bit too hard about thread bumping. I understand their point about deleting old threads - that would indeed be a ginormous, time consuming task - but on the other hand a simple bump of a thread from a few months ago really ain't a big deal and can sometimes be useful to revive a particular topic when you don't feel like putting the effort to recreate it.

I can understand locking an ancient fossilized thread from say 2005, but in my opinion a thread from last year could just be left open.

Elysium
November 2nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
tbh fam I think the staff (peace be upon them) are tripping a bit too hard about thread bumping. I understand their point about deleting old threads - that would indeed be a ginormous, time consuming task - but on the other hand a simple bump of a thread from a few months ago really ain't a big deal and can sometimes be useful to revive a particular topic when you don't feel like putting the effort to recreate it.

I can understand locking an ancient fossilized thread from say 2005, but in my opinion a thread from last year could just be left open.
Sometimes we do make exceptions, depending on how much discussion there is, if the OP's still active and/or has posted in the thread recently, etc. And, as mentioned above, nobody will be reprimanded for a single bump - if anything, they'll receive a notification. It becomes a problem when someone does it a lot. Partially, it looks like spamming, but they're upping their post count by technically breaking a rule and that's unfair.

PlasmaHam
November 2nd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Freckles This rule isn't likely to change, so I suggest you just take some time to actually read the date of the last post and go from there. It really isn't that hard, if you actually have something meaningful to add, then start another thread.

I do agree with phuckphace, the rules on this are often over done. When I first started here, I wanted to revive some old debates because I thought I could add some new info, but the two month rule scared me off.

Just JT
November 2nd, 2016, 07:54 PM
Personally, Freckels, I think it's a good question. There's lots of times I find old threads I'd like to post in. But for what ever reason the topic either didn't take off then or there wasn't enough people interested in the topic at that time. I get it.

But also like what's being said, it's to difficult and overloading on a volunteer staff to allow people to bump old posts.

But I don't think there is a rule about making a new thread, on a similar topic, and quote members in the thread that's old.

Maybe I'm wrong just trying to help a friend I don't see to often and share some of the same feelings is all.

Dmaxd123
March 9th, 2017, 05:36 PM
hopefully it's ok to comment on this thread:

BUT this thread is a perfect example. i've just recently started posting here and see posts even on the first page of a sub-forum that peaks my interest so then one is faced with 3 options: post to old thread and get the comment cut, forget about contributing, or start another thread about the exact same topic which just seems really redundant and a pain if anyone is using the search function

Elysium
March 9th, 2017, 07:20 PM
hopefully it's ok to comment on this thread:

BUT this thread is a perfect example. i've just recently started posting here and see posts even on the first page of a sub-forum that peaks my interest so then one is faced with 3 options: post to old thread and get the comment cut, forget about contributing, or start another thread about the exact same topic which just seems really redundant and a pain if anyone is using the search function
It's not, and I'll lock it because of that, but I'll also take a moment to respond:

We encourage you to just start a new topic. It'll be more current, which is more useful.