PDA

View Full Version : Death. Advice?

Tyson S
October 28th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Ok so i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes!

When my mother had me she was with a guy Richard for the first 3-6 months, then left him due to drug issues and behavioral problems. Then when i was 8 months old she got together with my now father Steven and they've been together ever since. (I'm 22 now).

Now today I have just found out that Richard, my biological father has died, and i do not know whether i should go to the funeral or what not? should i even bother seeing as I've never even met him?

Ben7
October 29th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I am sorry to hear this.

You are by no means obligated to attend if you don't want to. If you never met him, if you never cared about him or if he never meant anything to you in your life, then you probably shouldn't go or at least don't need to. In your situation, I wouldn't.

That said if you're curious, by all means go ahead as you might meet his family if that is something that would interest you. Or if you just want to see/or have closure with your biological father. It's hard to say but good luck with whatever you choose.

jamie_n5
October 30th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I am sorry that he passed away. As far as anything else. I think you just need to follow your instincts and your heart. You obviously have no obligation to him or his family. I know it's a hard decision but I think if you don't go that you may regret it later. It may be the only opportunity that you will get to meet his family and interact with them. Don't be shy and make sure you tell the family that he is your biological father. That will open things up for questions and for you to find out about who he really was. You have my sympathy and I hope that you go through with going to the funeral. I think it's the right choice.

Just JT
October 30th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I agree. You may feel conflicted out of curiousity. You may not have another opportunity to meet your other side of blood relations all at the same time and place.

In the end the bad blood between mom and dad is between them, not you and dad's family