PDA

View Full Version : Something I wrote a couple months back.

JusticeandMercy
October 27th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Contains mentions of self-harm and smoking.
Before I start the story I'm going to do a brief explanation of context. I used to struggle with self-harm, and at the beginning of my recovery I found myself writing a lot of imagined scenarios about people like me. There is no explicit self-injury in the following scene, however it is implied to have happened previously.

I'm usually the only person at this bus stop when I board, but today, a young woman of about my age waits next to me. I try to ignore her staring at my wrists, but eventually I get too uncomfortable and pull them across my chest.
"Sorry," she mumbles. "Everyone's got their own coping mechanism, I guess."
I nod, still refusing to meet her gaze. It's another ten minutes before the bus gets here, and I already can't wait for her to leave.
She fumbles through her purse for a second before a pause, then the tell-tale click of a lighter and the smell of smoke. I glance over at her almost-empty pack of cigarettes.
"Want one?" she asks, lifting the box in my direction.
I shake my head, tightening my arms against my body. After a few minutes, she stubs out her cigarette against the bench and apologizes.
"It's okay," I say, eyes locked on a crack in the sidewalk that I've studied a hundred times before. "Everyone has their own coping mechanism."

Cadanance00
October 31st, 2016, 02:18 PM
I think you could flesh that out into a short story. It's a subject that brings up a lot of emotion and I think you could do something with it. I would prefer it to have an upbeat ending, but life is life.

JusticeandMercy
November 7th, 2016, 09:22 PM
I think you could flesh that out into a short story. It's a subject that brings up a lot of emotion and I think you could do something with it. I would prefer it to have an upbeat ending, but life is life.Maybe. I tend to have trouble writing things longer than a single scene but it could probably be an interesting story. An uplifting ending would be nice.