PDA

View Full Version : Ambition and Risk-Taking

Porpoise101
October 27th, 2016, 03:41 PM
I am a more hesitant person. Yet, I recognize that if I want to rise above the rest of the people I will compete with in life (for jobs, scholarships, etc), I have to become more opportunistic. I am terrible at jumping into things, which hinders me in some ways. I have analyze and look at it first before going in. While this has saved me from some bad decisions, it limits my ability to act quickly. What can I do to keep myself from being too hesitant that it becomes harmful?

Microcosm
October 27th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Often times, if you're having a hard time taking a risk, it helps to consider what your gut feeling is about it. That will give you a good idea as to how you feel about doing it before you actually do it.

If you see a good opportunity from a cause that you really believe in, try to look deeper into it and take an optimistic attitude about it. When looking at the specifics of the opportunity, consider the positives as well as the negatives. Sometimes people tend to look more towards the negatives.

phuckphace
October 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I'm hugely risk-adverse in a variety of situations. any scenario in which failure is likely I tend to avoid altogether - this can be anything from a life-or-death situation to simple failure such as losing in a video game. I don't even play Dark Souls for this reason, because I already know how frustrating the [-]playing[/-] dying would be. and did I mention college? I've weighed it and for me it's a staggering risk of financial ruin vs. a potential, much less certain reward. I'd only choose to go if I had the option to pay zero dollars per semester and skip the courses I know I'd fail. feel free to get your keks in here, the thought is just as amusing to me I can assure you.

some people say I'm limiting myself with this, which I don't think is true - it's more that I know my own limits and prefer to stay within those bounds. no point in wasting my time and other's.

DefinitelyNotY
November 2nd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Have you tried to "speed up" your analysis? months ago, I had the same problem, but trying to only see the most important pros and cons makes a huge difference