PDA

View Full Version : Religious people are hypocrites

PoeticJustice513
October 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Now I'm not pointing any fingers or saying that all religious people are scumbags, although some of them are, like my dad who claims that he is a Christian but is not even close to the title.

I just think that some religious people think that they can do wrong but have it justified because of their religion and that's a bunch of bullshit to me.

Like I was saying about my dad, he goes to strip clubs and cheats on his girlfriend and he abuses her physically. I don't see the Bible permitting cheating, using women for your own sexual pleasure, physical abuse, and fornication. At least from what I have learned, I'm agnostic so I don't look into that stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong. But he says he is a religious man and he goes to Church every Sunday saying "Amen!" like he ain't do nothing wrong. As a Christian you are supposed to love thy neighbor but he spits on everyone who glances his way unless it's a girl in which he knows who will give up the goodies.

I feel like a lot of religious people do this and I think that what's the point of labeling yourself as a "servant of God" when you know what you do is not permitted and is wrong and is not of your God and/or religion, but YET you try to justify it? Why be a hypocrite? Why say to do what's right when your actions speak otherwise?

devotionnel
October 27th, 2016, 09:42 AM
The Ten Commandments, also known as the Decalogue, are a set of biblical principles relating to ethics and worship, which play a fundamental role in Judaism and Christianity. The commandments include instructions to worship only God, to honour one's parents, and to keep the sabbath, as well as prohibitions against idolatry, blasphemy, murder, adultery, theft, dishonesty, and coveting. Different religious groups follow different traditions for interpreting and numbering them.

Personally, I feel that to be a devout Christian you should follow the strict 10 commandments fully in order to be the "Servant of God" you talk about. And your father obviously breaks these here with strip clubs (thou shalt not commit adultery), cheating on his girlfriend (dishonesty) and physical abuse (love thy neighbour) which immediately puts him in the wrong.

However, depending on the context, there is a steady argument for it. And it is in which that in recent years there have been different "types" or forms of Christianity where some of the commandments may be more relaxed or even more strict than the originals.

Of course this doesn't excuse him from what he does, because honestly it's wrong in my eyes, but in terms of Christianity and God, it can work through a little loophole which I mentioned above.

StoppingTom
October 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM
no way this can go badly huh

phuckphace
October 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM
let's say for the sake of discussion that this guy wasn't a hypocrite and actually did walk the straight and narrow more or less on-point. would you respect him any more then? my money's on "no," because in that case he'd be a plain old bigot instead of an old hypocritical bigot.

Christians face one of two possibilities: either they get knocked for showing sincere faith or they get knocked for perceived insincerity of said faith - the only way they can break out of the damned-if-you-do-or-don't cycle is to either drop faith entirely and don the Sacred Trilby of Enlightenment, or switch to the wishy-washy fake Christianity that interprets "love your neighbor" as "accept sodomy and gay marriage." Jesus never said being gay is wrong so it's not wrong, bigot (by the way I have nothing but contempt for your backwards beliefs but maybe if I quote selected passages from the Old Testament you'll change your mind).

Paraxiom
October 27th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I just think that some religious people think that they can do wrong but have it justified because of their religion and that's a bunch of bullshit to me.

The thing is though that they see their actions as justified/right, rather than knowing that they are acting against objective wrongness.

Like I was saying about my dad, he goes to strip clubs and cheats on his girlfriend and he abuses her physically. I don't see the Bible permitting cheating, using women for your own sexual pleasure, physical abuse, and fornication. At least from what I have learned, I'm agnostic so I don't look into that stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong. But he says he is a religious man and he goes to Church every Sunday saying "Amen!" like he ain't do nothing wrong. As a Christian you are supposed to love thy neighbor but he spits on everyone who glances his way unless it's a girl in which he knows who will give up the goodies.

I feel like a lot of religious people do this and I think that what's the point of labeling yourself as a "servant of God" when you know what you do is not permitted and is wrong and is not of your God and/or religion, but YET you try to justify it? Why be a hypocrite? Why say to do what's right when your actions speak otherwise?

I would say that some religious people are actually not as religious as they think they are, because of the effective way they practice their religion in their life.

Porpoise101
October 27th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Christians face one of two possibilities: either they get knocked for showing sincere faith or they get knocked for perceived insincerity of said faith - the only way they can break out of the damned-if-you-do-or-don't cycle is to either drop faith entirely and don the Sacred Trilby of Enlightenment, or switch to the wishy-washy fake Christianity that interprets "love your neighbor" as "accept sodomy and gay marriage."

Heh.. you forgot the other options:

Renounce the Christ-god and become a neo-pagan (Hitler did it so it must be cool, right?)
Go to a yoga studio and become a ''''Buddhist'''' after a few sessions
"I'm spiritual on a personal level"

phuckphace
October 27th, 2016, 03:56 PM
neo-pagans: morally-relativist dorks who want their cosplay club with a pseudo-spiritual gloss over it

esoteric Hitlerist neo-pagans: pseudo-spiritual cosplay club dorks who saw the word "Jew" in the Bible and got triggered

yoga-Buddhists: "I just got a new tat, it's the word 'avidya' which means 'enlightenment' in Sanskrit" (follow me on Instagram)

I'm spiritual on a personal level: My weed is laced with LSD and possibly mescaline

Flapjack
October 27th, 2016, 04:03 PM
let's say for the sake of discussion that this guy wasn't a hypocrite and actually did walk the straight and narrow more or less on-point. would you respect him any more then? my money's on "no," because in that case he'd be a plain old bigot instead of an old hypocritical bigot.
How would that make him a bigot? :/

Paraxiom
October 27th, 2016, 05:42 PM
neo-pagans: morally-relativist dorks who want their cosplay club with a pseudo-spiritual gloss over it

esoteric Hitlerist neo-pagans: pseudo-spiritual cosplay club dorks who saw the word "Jew" in the Bible and got triggered

yoga-Buddhists: "I just got a new tat, it's the word 'avidya' which means 'enlightenment' in Sanskrit" (follow me on Instagram)

I'm spiritual on a personal level: My weed is laced with LSD and possibly mescaline

If this is not humour, I can say with relevant experience that you're wrong with the neopagans (not talking about the hitlerist ones though).

Not that I feel it's relevant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cjmccjface
November 8th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Sir, you need to rename your title

Hyper
November 9th, 2016, 09:31 PM
People use all kind of bullshit to bullshit themselves into thinking they are a good person. So they don't have to admit their own faults and thus feel good about themselves, it's in essence a defense mechanism. The bullshit used on the outside is fairly irrelavant, it's always in essence the same thing internally ,, I am a good person because X, Z Y.... Thus these bad things I do don't really make me a bad person ''

Hypocrisy is very common in that regard and more often than not unintentional.

Gwen
November 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
This isn't a religious people are hypocrites, more like all human beings are liars and hypocrites and we use ideas like religion to feel better about ourselves or to appear better to other people. I don't think this is an issue with religion but with how humans act and our scapegoats we use are often the ones that go directly against what we are actually like. The people who don't follow any particular religion are the exact same just different methods of shifting their dirty parts of life around.

There are still a lot amount of people who are religious though and the ones who proclaim it loudly to everyone they meet are usually the worst of them. Someone who brags about doing good deeds isn't someone who did those out of the kindness of their heart but to acquire praise or adoration from the people around them.

ethan-s
November 12th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Now I'm not pointing any fingers or saying that all religious people are scumbags, although some of them are, like my dad who claims that he is a Christian but is not even close to the title.

Yeah that's not Christian. Keep in mind Hitler claimed he was Christian but clearly wasn't (not that it means anything in this case)

The bible actually says that people will claim to be Christians and good people/prophets of God but are actually false prophets of Satan. Something to think about.

Flapjack
November 17th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Yeah that's not Christian. Keep in mind Hitler claimed he was Christian but clearly wasn't (not that it means anything in this case)

The bible actually says that people will claim to be Christians and good people/prophets of God but are actually false prophets of Satan. Something to think about.
I never understood why people like telling others whether they really are part of that religion. The bible contradicts itself so much it could be used to justify both bad and good.

There are many Christians that say discrimination is bad but yet a large proportion of the population in the US use Christianity to justify it.

PlasmaHam
November 17th, 2016, 03:20 PM
I never understood why people like telling others whether they really are part of that religion. The bible contradicts itself so much it could be used to justify both bad and good.

There are many Christians that say discrimination is bad but yet a large proportion of the population in the US use Christianity to justify it.

While there are some disputed points when it comes to Christianity, I think most Christians will agree that mass genocide is not a Christian value.

I would also be curious of what discrimination caused by a large portion of Christianity you speak of in the USA.

ethan-s
November 17th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Same here.

Porpoise101
November 17th, 2016, 09:10 PM

Of course the Bible can be used to justify bad things. But some fundamental principles can make you a Christian or not. There has to be a lawn drawn in the sand somewhere. It's dangerous to your beliefs if you allow too much impurity. That's why the Catholic Church was pretty harsh on heretics historically.

I disagree. The type of people you are describing are hypocritical 'evangelicals' that barely show up for church. If people are trying to justify discrimination, then using the Bible is a difficult way to do so. Historically, it's been done. But when the Bible was used to justify slavery, for example, it was often done on loose theological grounds.

Living For Love
November 18th, 2016, 05:27 PM
The bible contradicts itself so much it could be used to justify both bad and good.
Examples? I'm curious.

As to you, OP, you're right, some religious people are indeed hypocrites. I know people in my class that say they are Christians yet Christian would possibly be the last word you'd use to describe them if you knew them as I do. However, we shouldn't generalise. Personally, I admit I'm far from being a perfect Christian, but I believe God shapes my life according to his will and to the plan he has for me. Christians are humans, too, no one is perfect, and I think it's important to distinguish those who say they are Christians, albeit with lots of faults while trying to improve everyday, from those who say they are Christians yet don't make any effort to live as one.

Kahn
November 19th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I try not to concern myself with the details of other's faith. It is entirely personal to me. Who am I to say what was, is, or will be, or what is right or wrong for another person to do, based on my personal ethical standard?

All but the most principled individuals experience or are guilty of hypocrisy at some point throughout their life.

Tbh, I think this is a thread posted in poor taste.

PlasmaHam
November 19th, 2016, 08:05 PM
All but the most principled individuals experience or are guilty of hypocrisy at some point throughout their life.

Tbh, I think this is a thread posted in poor taste.
Even the most principled individuals have been hypocrites at one time or another in my opinion. They are so to a lesser degree, but I have no doubt that we have all acted hypocritically at some point in our lives, some more than others.

I agree about the thread, seems to me like a poorly hidden bashing of religions and their followers. I see no real debate here unless someone would want to start discriminating against religious people, which is against the rules.

Hermes
November 21st, 2016, 01:19 PM
The ten commandments date from the old testament. By comparison the core belefs of Christianity are:

1. That Jesus was the son of God.
2. That men (and women) cannot help but sin.
3. That in being executed Jesus paid the price for everyone's sin so that those who believe in him and repend can still taje their place in heaven despite their sins.

Or to put it rather crudely, Jesus is the scapegoat of the Christians.

If if you believe that, what incentive is there for Christians to try to uphold the values preached to them, including the ten commandments and Jesus's teaching of "love your neighbour as yourself"? if you can never be perfect, and perfection isn't even required because yout have a "get out of jail" card in Jesus, why even try?

The Byrd
November 21st, 2016, 02:44 PM
The tolerant, non-prejudice left... K

Living For Love
November 21st, 2016, 03:48 PM
The ten commandments date from the old testament. By comparison the core belefs of Christianity are:

1. That Jesus was the son of God.
2. That men (and women) cannot help but sin.
3. That in being executed Jesus paid the price for everyone's sin so that those who believe in him and repend can still taje their place in heaven despite their sins.

Or to put it rather crudely, Jesus is the scapegoat of the Christians.

If if you believe that, what incentive is there for Christians to try to uphold the values preached to them, including the ten commandments and Jesus's teaching of "love your neighbour as yourself"? if you can never be perfect, and perfection isn't even required because yout have a "get out of jail" card in Jesus, why even try?

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?
15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.
16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?
17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 2:14-17 (NIV)
Perfection is not required because it's impossible to attain, but we are indeed told to try to be "as saint as Jesus was", and to keep our faith in him as we show other people how different we are by following his commandments, which includes loving our neighbours, or our enemies, or our parents. It doens't make us perfect, but it pulls us closer to God.

Flapjack
November 23rd, 2016, 03:09 PM
Examples? I'm curious.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html
Here is a whole list of them buddy

An example of how different people could use the bible to justify both war and peace would be:

EX 21:23-25 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Exodus+21:23-25), LE 24:20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Leviticus+24:20), DT 19:21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Deuteronomy+19:21) A life for a life, an eye for an eye, etc.
MT 5:38-44 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Matthew+5:38-44), LK 6:27-29 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Luke+6:27-29) Turn the other cheek. Love your enemies.

DT 7:9-10 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Deuteronomy+7:9-10) God destroys his enemies.
MT 5:39-44 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Matthew+5:39-44) Do not resist your enemies. Love them.

JN 5:22 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=John+5:22) God does not judge.
RO 2:2-5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Romans+2:2-5), 3:19 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Romans+3:19), 2TH 1:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=2+Thessalonians+1:5), 1PE 1:17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=1+Peter+1:17) God does judge.

Just look through them buddy, I find it inconceivable that in the 21st century people want to use this book to justify important political decisions.

Living For Love
November 23rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
http://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html
Here is a whole list of them buddy
I'd prefer if you used a non-biased source, as the one you presented clearly isn't. Most of the first examples, though, are just a matter of interpretation.

Considering the ones you mentioned here:

EX 21:23-25 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Exodus+21:23-25), LE 24:20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Leviticus+24:20), DT 19:21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Deuteronomy+19:21) A life for a life, an eye for an eye, etc.
MT 5:38-44 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Matthew+5:38-44), LK 6:27-29 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Luke+6:27-29) Turn the other cheek. Love your enemies.
Jesus was speaking about personal vengeance in the Sermon on the Mount, whereas in the Old Testament we're talking about crimes committed in the society, just like we do nowadays.

DT 7:9-10 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Deuteronomy+7:9-10) God destroys his enemies.
MT 5:39-44 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Matthew+5:39-44) Do not resist your enemies. Love them.
I don't really see the contradiction here, honestly...

JN 5:22 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=John+5:22) God does not judge.
RO 2:2-5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Romans+2:2-5), 3:19 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=Romans+3:19), 2TH 1:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=2+Thessalonians+1:5), 1PE 1:17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bible?&version=KJV&passage=1+Peter+1:17) God does judge.
The word "judge" in the John 5:22 doesn't mean "judge" as of "to give a verdict", but instead it means "to select" or "to determine". Basically, God selects or chooses no one but has let his Son do it, because someone who loves and follows his Son is also serving God himself.

Just look through them buddy, I find it inconceivable that in the 21st century people want to use this book to justify important political decisions.
How are people using the Bible to justify important political decisions?

Flapjack
November 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
I'd prefer if you used a non-biased source, as the one you presented clearly isn't. Most of the first examples, though, are just a matter of interpretation.
Do you have you own bible? Look them up xD The source is biased but it lists exactly in the bible it is so you can look it up yourself!! Do you have you own bible buddy? Next to each contradiction is the location so you can see it for yourself and I am sure you don't consider the bible biased against you?

Even I was surprised by how many inconsistencies and contradictions there are!

There are however many Christians that disagree with the majority of the bible so I'm not judging Christianity when I point out these inconsistencies and contradictions and people are free to believe in whatever they want, tbh the majority of that list could just be typos as it has been copied and translated so much. It just annoys me when politicians quote it as fact :)

How are people using the Bible to justify important political decisions?
Thankfully not a lot in Europe however there is a lot in the USA when it comes to issues in the USA like abortion and contraception, this is particular bad as the USA is supposed to be a secular state.

bentheplayer
November 23rd, 2016, 04:46 PM
It is quite simple I think. People all love to claim that they are religious but deny it through their actions. If you actually trust what the politicians of today say .... don't. They are sprouting BS mostly to serve their own purposes.

Seraph
November 30th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Are you not just referring to Christians? Most of them believe no matter what you do, if you believe in Jesus you will go to heaven.

Devinsoccer
November 30th, 2016, 04:00 PM

Okay, I already don't like the title the way you put it, but thats my preference. Not all religious people are like this. Going to strip clubs does not mean anything, I honestly don't care if a christain goes into a strip club, as long as nothing bad happens. Everything you said is about your father, not religious people. You can't assume that all religious people are hypocrites just because your "religious" father, who doesn't sound religious at all.

Christians are people, people are not perfect, we sin. If we didn't sin, we would never be happy. Yes your father has not done anything to forgive anyone who he was mean to, but most Christians do. I am a cathloc, if I'm accused of doing something, I don't fight back and make a bigger argument(even though this sound like I'm doing the exact opposite, but its a debate, and this is what you do in a debate). We say do what's right because its right, lets say someone drops their pencil pouch and is spills all over the floor, most people will say they'll help, but they don't. Its human, it was your choice to do the wrong thing. You may not see it at first, but it will hit you. Also, if you don't do the right things and not say sorry to God and ask for forgiveness, your not going to heaven.

Thanks for questioning my faith and I am sorry if I have ever been a hypocrite.

~Devinsoccer