PDA

View Full Version : Knowing about domestic abuse, and not doing anything.

Powerade1999
October 24th, 2016, 11:36 PM
my aunt, c, goes out with a person who has been in gaol for murder (d) , he is still on parole (2 years left). He has physically abused two of my cousins, and got a third party to threaten another.

He broke his arm so he has been at home 24/7 anyway, my cousin, r (14) decided he wanted to go to his friends house for a few nights because he couldnít deal with being around d all the time. D overhears and storms into the room and starts screaming and carrying on, waving his fist in r's face, and then he stomps on r's foot. C storms in and starts screaming and ranting, so d turns around and grabs c by the neck, R escapes out the window, and runs to his friends house.

R friends parents are letting him sleep there until it is safe for him to go home, my aunt has gone to see a professional and has gone onto antidepressants, but is very unstable, and my nan is meant to keep a watch on her because she may attempt to kill herself.

R's friendís dad is high up in an out of state police force and has checked D's file and everything, and suggested to take out an AVO (which wonít happen due to D knowing many, many, violent criminals.

I can't help but feel somewhat responsible for this situation, I am by far not directly responsible, but perhaps if I just pushed my cousin a little harder to get out of there, or if I don't know. Physically they are both ok, but emotionally, r cant even go back to the house due to not feeling safe.
Hell, I am scared for my own safety, here, in another flipping town.
I don't know if I should message r and tell him if he wants he can come here, or if I should even do anything. I don't know.

More emphasis needs to be put onto emotionally abuse awareness, because thats what it started out like.

I am a little frazzled, and just needed to get this off my chest.

Uniquemind
October 27th, 2016, 12:03 AM
It's your aunt's responsibility to dump him and get a restraining order.

Or this is one of those situations where violence in self-defense is warranted even if it results in death.

Jordanchill
October 29th, 2016, 02:47 AM
First off, you are not responsible for anything pertaining to this situation. If anyone is to blame it would be your aunt for bringing someone who is known to do harm around her child. I don't think you should pressure your cousin to leave the house. If your cousin feels that his life is threatend, he will leave on his own. It seems that he has a good friend as well as other family to help him when he needs it. If you want to let him know that he is always welcome at your home, go ahead. He should know that he has family that is willing to help him if needed. Just don't pressure him and let him choose if he needs to leave home or not.

Ben7
October 30th, 2016, 12:25 AM
It is not your fault in any way. Unfortunately it is definitely true that there are often tough situations like that in many homes. Offer to let your cousin stay with you but beyond that there is little you can do. I'm sorry that that is happening.

DanielMark
November 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
It's your aunt's responsibility to dump him and get a restraining order.

Or this is one of those situations where violence in self-defense is warranted even if it results in death.

That's it!