PDA

View Full Version : How can I convince my parents to get me a credit card?

baron11
October 19th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have a credit card here?
I am 16 and I am working part time with a fashion designer. I think I have found my thing. I learned stitching and designing. I wish to start doing some small freelance works. So, for my work, I need a credit card.
One evening, I bought my parents a small gift with the money I earned and asked if they can provide me a card in the most decent manner. But, my dad said no indefinitely. My mom protests it too. I tried convincing them that I will be responsible and all. But dad is on the stand, I can get one after I turn 18. But that is two years of lost opportunities.
How can I convince my dad? I read a blog about giving credit cards to teens. I hope if I show him this blog, he can understand that giving me a card now can teach me about spending and budgeting.
If there is anyone here who uses a card please share how you were able to convince your parents. Give me some ideas.

Ben7
October 20th, 2016, 01:06 AM
It might be difficult to accomplish this, and understandably so. I don't think your parents are being unreasonable. From what I've heard you have a better chance of that once you either go off to college or once you start working in a full-time job.

For now what you can try to do is carry on without a credit card and do your best in your part time job. Show your parents that you can handle your money well and show them that you are financially responsible. Once you can do that (plus maybe the blog you have), you could retackle this request and revisit it every so often so that eventually and hopefully your parents will agree. But this is not going to be a short term solution and I think you will have to be patient about it.

ClaraWho
October 20th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Honestly I would never trust a 16 yr old with a credit card, myself included. In fact it is worrying that companies even issue cards to this age group, certainly the first time I've heard of it.

Due to the higher risk (you have no credit history) I'm guessing the APR is huge, and your parents would have to act as a guarantor for any default on debt accrued.

So I'd say it is perfectly reasonable of them to say no. BUT plenty of driven individuals have found ways around this problem and gone on to run huge companies by 18. Instead of thinking you NEED this to be a success, start thinking of how you can circumnavigate and win without one. You'll probably end up learning a whole more useful skills!

Good Luck, and well done for showing initiative!

~ Clara

TheFutureDoctor
October 20th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Agree with AP. Its almost a legal requirement to be 18 in my location.

ImCoolBeans
October 20th, 2016, 09:50 AM
How about instead of a credit card, which could actually hurt your parents credit and financial security, you get a debit card where you can only spend the money you actually have? You can set up overdraft protection so you can't go over your available balance and it won't hurt your parents credit if something were to go wrong with it.

I don't think your parents are being unreasonable. They are being realistic. There is no reason why a 16 year old really needs a credit card, especially since it can come with harsh consequences if you are not responsible with it 100% of the time. Wait until you're older and are ready to start establishing your own credit.

PlasmaHam
October 20th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I see no reason for a 16 year old to own a credit card. I may be copying Coolbeans post, but I really feel that a debit card is a far better option for you.

The difference between a credit card and a debit card is relatively simple. A credit card has you borrowing money from a credit card company, and then you pay them back at a set time. It is like taking out tiny loans every time you buy something, and like a regular loan, if you don't pay them back on time, then you can get in serious trouble. That's why credit card debt is so often in the media, if you are unwise with your credit card the debt can keep building and building to a point where it takes years to get rid of it.

A debit card however, is directly connected to your bank account. If you buy something at the store for 3 dollars using a debit card, 3 dollars are instantly transferred from your account to the store's. Thus you are limited to what you can buy by how much money you currently have. Debit Cards do not affect your credit score, which you really shouldn't be worrying about at your age, but they are far less of a danger than credit cards if you are just getting into the working world.

If you already have a bank account, you should be able to head to your bank and ask for a debit card, which should be provided for a low or no cost. If you don't have a bank account, you probably should get one started if you want to start making money. I personally only have a debit card.

Endeavour
October 20th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I totally agree with the last few posts. At your age, a debit card would be a much better option. You don't have to worry about spending more than you have, you don't have to worry about the money building up, you don't have to worry about paying lots of interest.

jamie_n5
October 20th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I don't believe you can get a credit card until you are 18. It would be a better idea at your age to get a debit card from your bank if your parents would be alright with that. By doing that you can't run up a debt that you can't handle.

baron11
October 20th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I don't have a debit card. If I am getting a debit card will I be able to open a PayPal account with it? and start selling and buying online? That's the main reason for me wanting a credit card.
If the debit card can do it I can fine with it.

Uniquemind
October 21st, 2016, 02:31 AM
I think you guys fail to recognize a well-weaved story to smoothly justify a shameless advertising link to that website.

I think this entire thread is clickbait.

But having said that, I agree that age 16 is still too young to have a credit card.

I empathize greatly, because I want one too as it would allow some privacy for online purchases I'd like to make. But in reality I'd rarely use it but there would always be that risk of identity theft along with it.

From the research I've done most, 18-year-olds need to get a "secured card" or start their own credit history off their parents and I do not support the latter because I've seen many families get ruined that way and many rich financial business figures agree with this too. Having kid tied to their parents credit can ruin their nest egg for retirement.

I do find it weird how the OP said he's working with a fashion designer, and his mentor or the business itself doesn't have a line of steady credit.

If the story OP is not fabricated, it is quite possible his mentor or mentor's business is abusing him, in order to get the business a steady line of credit via his or his parents identity.

I find this post odd at the very least and concur with the above respondents.

Parents are correct to say "No".

The upside is that it's only an 730ish day wait until age 18. Then get one.

I plan to save all my money, get a good credit card in two-three years, and spend 5K on various college stuffs and supplies I'd need and also hit a bonus spending points or cash back offer.

You don't want to get fooled into getting those retail credit cards.

The ones I am eyeing are:

the American Express Everyday Blue Cash (the one Tina Fey is in commercials for)

The Chase Sapphire Rewards charge card (good if going to a far away college and travel is involved).

The Costco Citi membership & credit card.

The Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa signature (1.5% cash back, no annual fee)

All of those are very good options if you can qualify.

But that's what my goals are you choose what you want, I've got to wait a few more years but no salesman is gonna fool me on credit card sales. I'm gonna be one of the most informed 18 year old consumers ever, just wait world!

Just JT
October 22nd, 2016, 08:30 PM
Legally you can't have a credit card, you need to be 18. Legally, even a debit card your parents would be responsible for as at least where I live I can not have my own bank account. The "owner" of the account has to have a card issued in your name and take full responsibility for your actions with it financially. I have a debit card, makes many purchases a lot easier if I don't have cash in my pocket. And I'm not sure why I'd be interested in anything your advertising here anyways. But thanks

Uniquemind
October 22nd, 2016, 11:34 PM
Legally you can't have a credit card, you need to be 18. Legally, even a debit card your parents would be responsible for as at least where I live I can not have my own bank account. The "owner" of the account has to have a card issued in your name and take full responsibility for your actions with it financially. I have a debit card, makes many purchases a lot easier if I don't have cash in my pocket. And I'm not sure why I'd be interested in anything your advertising here anyways. But thanks

There's downsides to using a debit though because fraudssters could drain the account very fast without you noticing, and then you're in danger of an overdraft and bad financial reputation.

Even if you can get charges reversed, that process may take too long before your bills come due without you having a payment method.

There was a huge scandal around 2006-08, at various retailers who didn't have good cyber security and online hackers got all the info of every customer who swiped their card just by sitting in the car with a jerryrigged Pringles can antenne.

My folks advised me never to swipe debit anywhere once I get a bank account.

Just JT
October 23rd, 2016, 12:08 AM
There's downsides to using a debit though because fraudssters could drain the account very fast without you noticing, and then you're in danger of an overdraft and bad financial reputation.

Even if you can get charges reversed, that process may take too long before your bills come due without you having a payment method.

There was a huge scandal around 2006-08, at various retailers who didn't have good cyber security and online hackers got all the info of every customer who swiped their card just by sitting in the car with a jerryrigged Pringles can antenne.

My folks advised me never to swipe debit anywhere once I get a bank account.

I was made aware of this kinda crap. And it's good advise. For me, it's set up so there's only $XX dollars in the account.
The rest is controlled by the trustee of the trust
So not much risk there

But very good advise

Flapjack
October 23rd, 2016, 05:53 AM
Do you mean a debit card where you access your own money or a credit card where you borrow it? If it is a credit card you want then I do reallyyy recommend you wait until 18 :) I think it is even illegal for them to give an under 18 one.

BlackParadePixie
October 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I have one, but it is strictly for emergencies only. I've only had to use it once or twice.

Not coming down on your job or choice of profession, but unless you're a world famous fashion designer, I'm not really sure how stable or lucrative of a position that is. Yes, it may be something you love doing...but how sure are you that it is prosperous enough work to warrant having a credit card?