PDA

View Full Version : Schoolwork frustrations

Rugby99
October 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I've redone a lab 3 times now and it's still wrong. This class is completely pointless anyway but everyone says that you will use it in everyday life (BS). When was the last time you had to calculate how fast a stick was going to fall and then write a 4 page paper on it?!? I bet if I took a survey of 10,000 people all 10,000 would say they never had to do that.

Amethyst Rose
October 18th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I've thought the same about classes in the past. One of my classmates said they don't see the point of learning certain things in math, and my teacher told the class that while you might not be facing these exact same scenarios in life, they teach you how to strategize and find solutions using logic. So maybe you're never going to need to calculate how fast a stick is going to fall, but the skills you're using now to figure that particular scenario out might come in handy for a completely different situation in the future.

Just JT
October 18th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah that stuff does suck. But Amethyst is right. You may not ever need to figure that same thing again. But im pretty sure later on you'll use the skills you learned in some way.

For me, yeah, that's my life, whether math, science, or life skills, take it and learn bro, your guna need it trust me.

Ask for help, teachers wana help, other kids in class who are chill will help to, just try ok?

Devinsoccer
October 18th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I've redone a lab 3 times now and it's still wrong. This class is completely pointless anyway but everyone says that you will use it in everyday life (BS). When was the last time you had to calculate how fast a stick was going to fall and then write a 4 page paper on it?!? I bet if I took a survey of 10,000 people all 10,000 would say they never had to do that.

Honestly, if you go into the field of science, like forensics, yes you'll use it in everyday life, but other than that I see where you getting on this. I get it, schoolwork can be fustrating, you just have to acept the struggle and move on, just like everything else in the world.if you get your work done with a godd grade, like an A, B ,or C then you compleated your task well. If I were you, I would continue with the course if it required, or if you can't change it. I would talk to your teacher about the four page paper, unless the essay is about the Aim, Hypothesis, variables, data collection, data processing, what you use for testing, and conclusion, the essay should be manageable.

PlasmaHam
October 25th, 2016, 12:02 AM
It sounds like you are doing physics, a class I actually like. For me, I plan to go into engineering, so actually knowing the velocity of a falling object is pretty necessary. I actually find physics to be the most practical of the sciences, so I do feel that in some way this can be practical to your life. But I'm just a student with an opinion.

Ben7
October 30th, 2016, 12:35 AM
So from what you described you are either in a physics class or math class. And no, you will never in your life use that or have to solve that problem. I think a problem like that is meant to get you thinking about how you would solve that problem, how you can apply what you've learned to figure it out. If you work as an engineer you will get many unique problems, each unlike any other, and you will have to tackle a completely new problem with the basic skillset/knowledge that you know. Being able to think about weird stick problems is a simple and random problem to get assigned but then again you will also get unique/weird problems depending on what you do in your career. This applies to any subject. I've often felt frustrated about having to do seemingly pointless problems. It doesn't stop the frustration to be honest .

TheFutureDoctor
October 30th, 2016, 05:05 AM
I guess you must be talking about physics. We have these kinds of experiments also, but I absolutely love the subject. Although Im going to pursue medicine, I still need physics for my entrances, and I like it quite a lot. I mean I find it fascinating how simple stuff like how a car turns etc. can be explained using some laws. I find it fascinating as hell.....