PDA

View Full Version : Parents

Rugby99
October 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Over the past 4 years I've realized that college wasn't my thing. I don't agree with how a school works. Don't get me wrong I love high school and I tell everyone that. I attend a private high school and can honestly say that I love waking up in the morning everyday. In eighth grade I started looking into military careers and even West Point. At that time the idea was on and off. I realized that my chances of getting into West Point was very slim so I gave up on that idea. Freshman year of high school they had us start looking at potential careers and colleges that we might want to attend. I was looking through the list of possible careers and nothing was really jumping out at me. It's just the idea of going to a college and being forced to attend useless classes that don't matter for a career and everyone being forced to think a certain way sounds like hell to me. Then after graduating I would be tens of thousands of dollars in debt and struggling to find a job. So I went back into the idea of enlisting in the army right after high school and all the benefits that they offer. I'm a junior now and know that this is the right choice for me. I feel that I need to do my part in helping to protect others. I'm sick of turning on the TV and hearing all these terrible things going on in the world. I want to be there to help protect my family and my country. I am so grateful in the fact that there are people dying to protect me and they don't even know me. I want to do the same. So I tell my parents and they get mad at me. Nobody in my family supports me at all. I don't know what to do. There is no way that I could go to college. It's just not right for me. I feel very strongly about this but nobody sees it the same way. I don't know what to do.

Devinsoccer
October 16th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Over the past 4 years I've realized that college wasn't my thing. I don't agree with how a school works. Don't get me wrong I love high school and I tell everyone that. I attend a private high school and can honestly say that I love waking up in the morning everyday. In eighth grade I started looking into military careers and even West Point. At that time the idea was on and off. I realized that my chances of getting into West Point was very slim so I gave up on that idea. Freshman year of high school they had us start looking at potential careers and colleges that we might want to attend. I was looking through the list of possible careers and nothing was really jumping out at me. It's just the idea of going to a college and being forced to attend useless classes that don't matter for a career and everyone being forced to think a certain way sounds like hell to me. Then after graduating I would be tens of thousands of dollars in debt and struggling to find a job. So I went back into the idea of enlisting in the army right after high school and all the benefits that they offer. I'm a junior now and know that this is the right choice for me. I feel that I need to do my part in helping to protect others. I'm sick of turning on the TV and hearing all these terrible things going on in the world. I want to be there to help protect my family and my country. I am so grateful in the fact that there are people dying to protect me and they don't even know me. I want to do the same. So I tell my parents and they get mad at me. Nobody in my family supports me at all. I don't know what to do. There is no way that I could go to college. It's just not right for me. I feel very strongly about this but nobody sees it the same way. I don't know what to do.

Honestly, my way of awnsering this is my signature. If YOU want to go in the military the go in the military after HS, stay in the military for 20 years you get paid FOR LIFE. If you go into the air force and fly planes, fly for 20 year, get paid for life, go to fed-ex or some big airline and work 20 years for them 2 paychecks comming in when you retire. If you want to teach ROTC for high school get a M.S. in teaching and social studies, and you can teach ROTC with FREE SCHOOLING. There is a lot of benefits for being in the military. Do what your heart tells you to do. LIVE LIFE THE WAY YOU WANT TO LIVE IT, NOT THE WAYS OTHERS WANT YOU TO LIVE IT

Rugby99
October 16th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Honestly, my way of awnsering this is my signature. If YOU want to go in the military the go in the military after HS, stay in the military for 20 years you get paid FOR LIFE. If you go into the air force and fly planes, fly for 20 year, get paid for life, go to fed-ex or some big airline and work 20 years for them 2 paychecks comming in when you retire. If you want to teach ROTC for high school get a M.S. in teaching and social studies, and you can teach ROTC with FREE SCHOOLING. There is a lot of benefits for being in the military. Do what your heart tells you to do. LIVE LIFE THE WAY YOU WANT TO LIVE IT, NOT THE WAYS OTHERS WANT YOU TO LIVE IT

That's probably what I'm going to have to do. It's just that I don't really want to do it alone without any support. I don't want to go into a recruiters office and go take the ASVAB test without the support of my family.

Devinsoccer
October 16th, 2016, 08:40 PM
That's probably what I'm going to have to do. It's just that I don't really want to do it alone without any support. I don't want to go into a recruiters office and go take the ASVAB test without the support of my family.

Do you have any aunts or uncles that will support or, grandparents? Friends from school? Your girlfriend or boyfriend?Us VTer's support you greatly.

Rugby99
October 16th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Do you have any aunts or uncles that will support or, grandparents? Friends from school? Your girlfriend or boyfriend?Us VTer's support you greatly.

My friends support me but nobody else knows. When anyone else asks what I want to do or where I want to go to college I just lie and say I have not idea. I think that I was just expecting my parents to be supporting of me and now that I know that they don't I'm just afraid to hear what other adults think. Right now I'm just hiding from it all. Since this past summer I've occasionally been experiencing periods of depression for 2-3 days at a time. I guess I'm just starting to realize that my ideas are going to have to start becoming reality whether my family is on board or not.

Devinsoccer
October 16th, 2016, 09:02 PM
My friends support me but nobody else knows. When anyone else asks what I want to do or where I want to go to college I just lie and say I have not idea. I think that I was just expecting my parents to be supporting of me and now that I know that they don't I'm just afraid to hear what other adults think. Right now I'm just hiding from it all. Since this past summer I've occasionally been experiencing periods of depression for 2-3 days at a time. I guess I'm just starting to realize that my ideas are going to have to start becoming reality whether my family is on board or not.

Well, if you have support of friends and they want to go with you for that test to support you let them, because you don't want to be alone. Honestly you should not care what your parents want you to do in life that's you decision. They SHOULD NOT have YOUR lufe planned our FOR YOU. Life is a rollar coaster, you never know what happens. You can also get scholarships for being in the military, or being a goid/excellent/superior student.

Rugby99
October 16th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Well, if you have support of friends and they want to go with you for that test to support you let them, because you don't want to be alone. Honestly you should not care what your parents want you to do in life that's you decision. They SHOULD NOT have YOUR lufe planned our FOR YOU. Life is a rollar coaster, you never know what happens. You can also get scholarships for being in the military, or being a goid/excellent/superior student.

I've been researching this topic for years and I am 100% sure that the army is where I'm supposed to be. They offer so many things such as free housing, scholarships for school and so much more. My parents just think that I came up with this idea the other day and that I actually have no clue as to what I'm taking about. I just hate the fact that my entire life they have been saying that I could be whatever I want to be. My mom has also said on multiple occasions that she doesn't believe that college is for everyone, but the minute that I tell her that college isn't right for me she gets mad. That is a good idea taking one of my friends with me for support. That is probably going to be what I'm going to do. Either that or take my brother but currently he isn't on board with my decision either but I may be able to convince him to respect my decision.

Just JT
October 16th, 2016, 11:46 PM
It's a personal choice people make about their lives. Work school military or be a bum or something. Don't see many other option tbh.
From talking to my dad, he knows this stuff, I'm told you'll do way better in the ar,y with a college degree. It's only 4 years. And if you join the national guard, they pay for it all. Maybe that's a happy medium for your family?

Devinsoccer
October 23rd, 2016, 08:04 PM
I've been researching this topic for years and I am 100% sure that the army is where I'm supposed to be. They offer so many things such as free housing, scholarships for school and so much more. My parents just think that I came up with this idea the other day and that I actually have no clue as to what I'm taking about. I just hate the fact that my entire life they have been saying that I could be whatever I want to be. My mom has also said on multiple occasions that she doesn't believe that college is for everyone, but the minute that I tell her that college isn't right for me she gets mad. That is a good idea taking one of my friends with me for support. That is probably going to be what I'm going to do. Either that or take my brother but currently he isn't on board with my decision either but I may be able to convince him to respect my decision.

Well, you got some support from your friends and maybe your brother. If your mother doesn't believe you sit down with her and either make a powerpoint(or I could make one for you) in you pm me the information you have) to display all the facts you have and cite resources, then have a commentary of how you think of that. Honestly I want to be a forensic scientist, unfortuantely I may need to get my Ph.D which take military out of the equasion for me, but I am thinking about joining the Air Force, but they may reject me because of my hearing loss, athsma, and impared vision. You just need to show them the claim(going into the military, support your claim with evidence and commentary. Show the counter claim(not going into the military) and show facts that don't support the that claim(cons) and commentary on why that's not for you. Then when you finish all of that, you compare the pros and cons of both claim and counter claim, and show that military is right for you.

PlasmaHam
October 24th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting to go to college, its not for everyone, and that is the way the world should work. If you want to enlist in the Army after high school, feel free! That's what my dad did, except that he joined the Air Force. One of my friends actually just finished marine boot camp, straight out of high school.

The pay isn't too great, especially for an enlisted solider, but the benefits are vast. You should be able to get housing, food, basically all the essentials you need for a low cost or even for free. If you ever decide to get a college degree the Army should be able to pay a significant amount of the price. That is what my father did, and he was able to graduate basically debt-free due to military payments. The Army will basically supply your every need while you are in, and if you stay in for 20 years, then you could retire with a very nice retirement plan.

Of course, a downside of the Army is that you can't really settle down, you would rarely stay at one base for more than two-three years, especially being enlisted. If you ever meet that someone, and decide to start a family, that could be problematic. But hey, follow your dreams, I think its great you want to join the Army, and I'm sure your parents will eventually come around.

Ben7
October 30th, 2016, 12:30 AM
If what you truly want to do with your life is to join the Army, by all means you definitely should!

You say you don't think college is for you. I would caution you however against discarding it right away, especially without having tried it yourself for even 1 year. Have you considered going to college for just 1 year and taking classes and figuring out whether any particular subject/career path appeals to you?

Also have you considered ROTC programs wherein you can go to college all paid by the army and you do 8 years of service after you graduate? I think it might not be a bad idea to try college even for some time just to be sure it's not for you. That way you get an education and major in something that can give you a solid job at some point in the future should you ever need it (i.e. economics, business, stats, political science to become lawyer, etc.) and still serve in the Army after college....well think about it.

But if you want to join the Army right away and you are absolutely sure then you should go for it. Good luck!