PDA

View Full Version : the cost of living

phuckphace
October 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM
...is an interesting topic to me, probably one of the more interesting topics within the sphere of economics.

Cost of Living index (https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living) here, where you can compare prices between any two cities on Earth. I live in Murica so you can probably guess what results I get when I compare the cost of healthcare and potatoes to any random country in Europe - potatoes are 63% cheaper in my friend's hometown of Vilnius, Lithuania. by contrast, one liter of gasoline is 140% more expensive than what I pay.

1.) How would you describe the CoL in your country (low, average, high)?

2.) How would you describe the CoL in your locality (i.e. the immediate area where you live)? How does it compare to the general average CoL of your country as a whole?

3.) How would you describe the cost of automobile ownership in your country (low, average, high)? is owning an automobile in your country considered essential, an added convenience, or a luxury?

4.) Have you ever ordered/purchased a good or service online from a foreign country because it was much cheaper compared to buying the same item locally? which country did it ship or originate from?

5.) Have you ever visited another country to make physical purchases or use a service for the same reason?

6.) Name one major good or service that's available to you in your country at a much lower cost than prices you've seen elsewhere. Name another good or service that's much more expensive for you than elsewhere.

7.) Name one country that you find attractive based on CoL considerations alone (assume local wages are not an issue).

8.) Explain briefly or at length why you think the CoL in your country/locality is higher or lower than elsewhere.

Paraxiom
October 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM
...is an interesting topic to me, probably one of the more interesting topics within the sphere of economics.

I don't doubt the justification of your interest in it at all, but I do doubt how I (and many others because of our age) could help you in determining the CoL from experience.

I will attempt anyway.

- - - - - - - -

High (from what I hear consistently, and indirect experience).

2.) How would you describe the CoL in your locality (i.e. the immediate area where you live)? How does it compare to the general average CoL of your country as a whole?

I really don't know, but as my 'proper home' (not the Dublin one I am in half the time now) is not in Dublin and so is not under the influence/etc of the property crisis there, I think it's at least better than Dublin.

3.) How would you describe the cost of automobile ownership in your country (low, average, high)? is owning an automobile in your country considered essential, an added convenience, or a luxury?

I don't know. Such knowledge transcends my fragile mind.

4.) Have you ever ordered/purchased a good or service online from a foreign country because it was much cheaper compared to buying the same item locally? which country did it ship or originate from?

Would it count if I was given some mozzarella from Northern Ireland that was about 70% the price of what it would be south of the border?

5.) Have you ever visited another country to make physical purchases or use a service for the same reason?

No.

6.) Name one major good or service that's available to you in your country at a much lower cost than prices you've seen elsewhere. Name another good or service that's much more expensive for you than elsewhere.

Better here than elsewhere: Milk (I think) ; Worse here than elsewhere: Printer ink cartridges (at least those for the older printers).

7.) Name one country that you find attractive based on CoL considerations alone (assume local wages are not an issue).

Canada.

8.) Explain briefly or at length why you think the CoL in your country/locality is higher or lower than elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I have no specifics, but it's for sure lower than it would be for Iceland, which I also am attracted to as a destination.

- - - - - - - -

Hope I have helped.

phuckphace
October 13th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Paraxiom thanks for the response. I figured I should go ahead and give my own answers just to help this along.

Average when compared to the rest of the Anglosphere or the West in general. Extremely high vs. the Third World.

Low. I live in one of the "cheapest" states.

Low, but nevertheless prohibitively expensive for a lot of people, including myself. owning a vehicle is considered essential here, as there's not much in the way of public transport, and there's a lot of "urban crawl" with distances that make commuting by bicycle impractical.

Nope. consumer prices on a lot of non-edible non-essentials are apparently the lowest in the developed world.

No, but if I could afford a plane ticket I could fly to Europe to visit my friends and the dentist for about the same price as staying home and visiting a local dentist.

Electronics seem to be majorly cheaper here than elsewhere. by contrast any healthcare service is 200% more expensive at minimum.

the price of fuel per gallon is tricky - it is much lower in my locality than nationally ($1.90) but I've seen it as high as $4.80 in other states.

Lithuania. Best place to take your lottery winnings. I would pay more per month for a crappier/smaller apartment, but pay much less for virtually everything else.

8.) Explain briefly or at length why you think the CoL in your country/locality is higher or lower than elsewhere.

lower - probably due to lower excise tax or other added-cost considerations such as many firms being based within the same country, making it cheaper to obtain [whatever].

higher - (((lobbyists))), (((bubbles))) and wages lagging far behind productivity or the CoL.

Vlerchan
October 13th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Whilst wary that this response is probably doing some great service to Nazism, I'll play.

Moderately moderate, for a first world state. Our VAT - or consumption tax - is ~20%.

Ireland is about the size of the state of Indiana - I believe. There's not a huge amount of deviance between localities. There's significant differences in goods such as housing and beer between the center and periphery though.

Including taxes and insurance: High.

Owning an automobile is more of a convenience where I live.

Books - when what I want can't be found in Chapters for cheap - is it, really.

[b]No - But there's an increase in people heading over the border to take advantage of the cheap pound. People also purchase their fireworks there since those are illegal in Ireland.

No idea. Milk sounds right.

Arkansas, or similar, presuming the same job opportunities.

Largely down to our horrifically productive MNC-dependent exporter-class whose higher productivity leads to them possessing higher wages.

Since these have higher real purchasing power they can purchase higher volumes of goods traded on an international price (eg. rice) - but non-tradable services are compliments to tradable goods: being as these lack an efficient common market (thus the law of one price doesn't apply), the price of non-tradables are bidded up despite there being no difference in the fundamentals - and there is also pass-through to the wages of those affected.

ThisBougieLife
October 15th, 2016, 10:45 AM
All I know is, the cost of living in the Bay Area is outrageously high, especially where I'm from. Woodside has one of the highest median home price and highest median family income statistics in the nation. Median family income is in excess of $250,000 a year, and I believe that was several years ago, so who knows what it is now. Teachers, firefighters, and other city workers cannot afford to live in the city that they service; they must commute from hours away. Rent in San Francisco is known to be over $3000 a month for a studio (and that's probably a lower estimate).

It's part of the reason that, as much as I love California, I may simply not be able to afford to live here in the future, unless I want to live in Fresno...

I don't have much experience with other countries, so I can't effectively answer a lot of the other questions you posted, but I just wanted to provide a brief quasi-rant on the infamous Bay Area.

Porpoise101
October 15th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Average
According to bestplaces.net, Michigan is about 20% below national averages. Not sure if that is reliable, but it makes sense. Our state is depopulating if that is a factor. I would assume that cost of living in Detroit itself is lesser than other American cities.
Medium, it is a huge expense, while an essential one. Especially in Michigan, where car culture is paramount and there is no public transport.
I can't think of any country.
Sort of. I don't go to India to go shopping, but when I go there, I will shop for stuff. Books, some clothes, gifts, and specialty food come to mind.
US stuff that is cheap: Gasoline, Corn products
US stuff that isn't cheap: Diesel, Healthcare, telecommunications services
Not sure. If CoL was taken into consideration alone, anywhere you don't need to own a car. Of course, if you go by CoL alone, then you ignore quality of service, environmental situation, and other important factors.
It is higher for some things like healthcare and internet service because the government stopped promoting competition. They have allowed things to become opaque for consumers, giving businesses the advantages.