PDA

View Full Version : ThinkPad 11e review

phuckphace
October 10th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I sold my old IdeaPad Y500, which was a gaming laptop that I rarely gamed on and replaced it with a ThinkPad 11e. (https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Generation-resolution-Quad-Core-Professional/dp/B01J0NCEWO/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1476107885&sr=1-5&keywords=ThinkPad+11e)

Celeron N3150 quad-core @ 1.6 - 2.0 GHz
8 GB RAM (1x 8GB, single slot)
128 GB SSD (PCI-Express)
11.6" matte screen, 1366*768
802.11ac, Bluetooth, USB3, SDXC slot, HDMI-out
Windows 10 Pro

if you're looking for a small, light notebook for basic use and light games then you should check this one out. it's small enough to be very portable and light, but big enough to use comfortably and won't cramp your hands like the even tinier netbooks.

Pros:

the CPU can keep up with most tasks with less lag than I expected. yes, apparently even the low-end Celeron is quad-core now (Braswell 14nm).
Long battery life, guaranteed 7 hours of browsing/music. coming from a gaming laptop with SLI, this is new to me.
Stays very cool. I ran a benchmarking tool to max out the CPU and it peaked at 56C. in real use it will say much cooler than that. again, new.
Matte screen is glare free and very comfortable to stare at. you're unlikely to find any other notebook in this size and price range with a matte screen.
Very sturdy build-quality all around. you can grab and lift it by the bezel around the screen, give it a twist and it won't flex, even a bit. the hinges are very solid and keep the lid exactly where you position it - no wobbling. keyboard is also sturdy and the keys are crisp without the "squishiness" of other cheap laptop keyboards. even the USB ports are solid and any cable you plug in stays firmly inserted and won't wiggle around.

Cons:

SSD is PCI-Express, not the usual 2.5" SATA, and PCI-E drives are quite a bit more expensive than the SATA-type for the same capacity. I'm upgrading to a 256GB eventually but not gonna pay these prices.
no ThinkPad pointing-stick. I like those, and apparently the older 11e models used to have it - newest models don't.
Only 2 USB ports. you'll need to invest in a USB hub if you have a lot of cables that you keep plugged in at once.

and in case you were wondering about which games it can handle:

Minecraft is playable on fast graphics settings + low res texture packs. works best if you disable particles, clouds and avoid the "Large Biomes" setting.
Terraria runs perfectly.
Classic games such as Serious Sam and Unreal Tournament will either run at 1000fps or won't launch at all (hit or miss). some older games don't want to cooperate with the newest Win10 drivers but if you can get them to launch they run well enough.

TheFutureDoctor
October 10th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Man about 8 months back i bought my lappy. Serious bargain. Absolute bargain! Dell Inspiron 3540. AMD A6 Quad Core @1.8 GHz 4 GB RAM(upgradable to 8 GB) and Radeon R4 graphics. About $270 (i bought it in india so im converting it using google) It can run PES 2017(yes!), FIFA 14 (15 onwards lags) Minecraft at Fast and Medium graphics, ETS 2 at High settings. battery life is around 4-5 hours though, 15.6" screen. I bought it just for generic use but it can handle enough games for me. :D