PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys like to revise?

bougainvillea
October 9th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I'm kinda stuck for ideas, and with my first set of proper mock exams starting this Friday I'm kinda stressing out :oops:

Desynchronized
October 9th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Eh...i'm not very good at anything related to studies :p But simply reading it over nd over loudly works for me.

Atlantis
October 9th, 2016, 08:35 AM
For the sciences, what I do is revise just one topic at a time (something small, let's say just homeostasis for biology), make some mindmaps or whatever for it, then do a past exam question. Then do the same cycle all over again. It sounds boring, but it works.

For English what I do is for literature quotes and stuff, I find songs like these (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGFsWf-P-cAQt6vHfL79GTIawiRlOY9I) quite useful. Also it could be useful to write short chapter/act/scene summaries, just like a sentence or something which helps you understand the plot better.

For geography processes and stuff, what I do is like a storyboard with a picture then just 3 key words. I find this better to learn than a lengthy sentence.

For maths, it's just learn it and do it. Maths is that subject that you just have to do to get it in my opinion.

For french or any language for the listening and reading, just learning vocab from Quizlet I find works well. You don't really need to know the conjugation/tense rules in detail I don't think, you just need to understand what is going on.

Generally though, doing stuff is a whole lot better than just reading a revision guide. You learn a lot more this way. For example, you could pretend you are a teacher just talking to yourself explaining things in a simple way is extremely useful. Learning with friends and getting them to explain things to you could offer a different viewpoint that could make things easier for you and for them.

bougainvillea
October 9th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Lost Horizon, thanks for all these notes!

The first one I have coming up is English Lit paper 1, we have Sherlock and Macbeth in it. Unfortunately, for Macbeth our class is so behind! Our teacher was off for the first month of this year aaaand yeah. We're not even on Act 2 yet. Have anything you could recommend to compensate?

Phosphene
October 9th, 2016, 09:18 AM
When revising anything I've written I basically do most of it as I'm writing. I'm such a perfectionist that I can't move on until what I've already written is the way I want it. Usually I do this paragraph by paragraph. Guess that's why I'm always the last to complete essays in class... :P When I'm finished with the whole thing, there's not much left to fix. Reading over it a few times helps, and reading aloud will help tons because you'll catch any errors in your syntax.

Atlantis
October 9th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Lost Horizon, thanks for all these notes!

The first one I have coming up is English Lit paper 1, we have Sherlock and Macbeth in it. Unfortunately, for Macbeth our class is so behind! Our teacher was off for the first month of this year aaaand yeah. We're not even on Act 2 yet. Have anything you could recommend to compensate?

No problem :)

My mock is also English Lit paper 1. We're currently on chapter 11 of 59 of Great Expectations, and we're having to do like 2 chapters in one lesson sometimes so we can finish it before our mocks at the end of November. What we're doing in class is just reading through the chapter quickly, highlighting one quick quote and analysing it, then write a quick summary that's only like a few sentences long. It's certainly not ideal, going through each chapter/act/scene in detail would be a whole lot better, but it's good to have a general overview of the whole book. Don't forget that you have to refer to other moments in the play, so at least you have most of act 1 secure to do this. Also, you have the time from your mock all the way until May to go over what you're not so sure on.

Tyson S
October 9th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I revise by making dot points and keeping track of the important information

The Byrd
October 10th, 2016, 12:48 PM
I've tried all sorts but what I found most effective was reading a page from the textbook that I want to learn, turning it over, and re-writing it. Then I re-read it and write it again, and continue this until I have everything that I need to know. It's a bit time consuming (like an hour per topic) but it's really helpful in remembering things. This works primarily for science and I've yet to find anything to help me with other stuff but yeah...

Flapjack
October 13th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Shanieeee don't worry, you got this!!

Anyways this is how I revise:

Past papers
Questions in text book
Go through the syllabus and make sure you know everything, knowledge based stuff write out until you remember it (might take several pieces of A4 of just writing out definitions but when you are done it will be stuck in your head) , more complex stuff where you need an understanding, do questions to check your understanding.
Maybeeee YouTube videos if a topic is confusing me.
Make a few revision posters with everything you need to know simplified on it. Look over these right before the exam to refresh your knowledge :)

ImCoolBeans
October 13th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I like to write out (by hand) all of my notes that cover the material on the exam. I focus more on the material that I'm less familiar with, but still make sure that I have everything covered. I don't copy it word for word as it is in my notes, but rather I write out a definition or explanation for each key point or term from memory and if I don't know it off hand then I'll go back and look over it more. If it's a class that I have multiple textbooks on (for example some of my psychology text books overlap with certain information), I might look in the other books to see how definitions or explanations vary.

Neeplin
November 6th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Make notes without referencing to the textbook
Look through previous work and redo the questions
Try new practice papers