PDA

View Full Version : Is alcohol good or bad?

Carcel
October 4th, 2016, 02:21 AM
Hey all! I wasn't intending to ask this, but now that I've seen this category, I'm thinking I'll ask it. I've heard plenty of times that various alcohol have health benefits. Like whiskey helps reduce weight, prevents cancer, blood clot, improves heart health, etc. Also, vodka helps in reducing stress and keeps skin healthy. So, why is consuming alcohol prohibited? I know it's excess is harmful, but isn't excess of everything harmful. I'm not promoting drinking here, nor do I drink. But I keep hearing the health benefits all the time. So, just wanted to know, whether its for real or not.

Lost in the Echo
October 4th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Well like you said, in excess it is harmful. It can be beneficial in small amounts, but if you get all fucked up it will damage your internal organs.

Basically a little bit is ok, but a lot isn't.

Uranus
October 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Technically it is bad for you, but isn't nearly any form of food or drink or anything bad for you in some way nowadays?

Endeavour
October 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM
It can be good, but like Bo said only in small amounts. Technically it is addictive so you shouldn't really be drinking it in large amounts because then your body will start to want alcohol which can lead to all sorts of side effects. Yes like you say alcohol can help you for example preventing blood clots, but it could also lead to a toxic overdose which can lead to a coma or even death.

phuckphace
October 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I doubt there's an effective difference between whiskey and vodka and whatever else - it's all the same ethyl alcohol no matter what type of liquor or brand it is.

alcohol does have some health benefits when consumed in moderate amounts, true, but it's prohibited for minors because the impact of its abuse (which is very serious) has to be managed. binge drinking is very unhealthy and causes significant long-term damage, like even if you get into a program and get clean you will still suffer residual damage from the booze. I know a couple of former alcoholics, one of them a relative who hasn't touched liquor for 6 years and still has health problems like nerve tremors and random outbursts/memory problems. not a good time fam

PlasmaHam
October 4th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I've heard of people touting wine as having health benefits, not so much whisky or vodka. Apparently there are some heart and internal organ benefits, but from what I've read they seem relatively minor. I think that those claims are often exaggerated by people looking for an excuse to keep drinking. However, I wouldn't let these minor benefits justify you start drinking. It is easy to fall into heavy drinking, especially for a teenager, and that can ruin your life with liver and brain problems, as well as alcohol related accidents.

Tyson S
October 9th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I shall tell you that alcohol is good for you in small amounts, drink too much you get drunk and do silly things. You also can get a 'Beer gut' if you drink lots every day.

drinking has not killed me yet so your safe!

Hermes
October 19th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Firstly I would not believe some of the claims - if you see a claim in the press like "A glass of red wine a day makes you live five years longer" you'll typically find the original research said "Within the studt group those who drank a glass of red wine per day subsequently lived five years longer than those who didn't". The journalist has jumped to the conclusion that the red vine was the cause of the longer life but the researchers never said that. It could be that those who drink red wine typically have more expensive tastes, because they have more money, so they have better healthcare or have healthier lives in some other respect, like less stress, more time for exercise etc.

There have been suggestions recently that there is no amount of alcohol you can safely drink that doesn't increase the risk of chronic diseases. That said many people drink in moderation and have no obvious ill-effects.

One thing is certainly true - getting drunk and then getting into trouble is a bad idea.

Just JT
October 19th, 2016, 03:55 AM
I think in moderation it's fine, maybe some health benefits. But I'm also sure if you keep reading around here a little you'll find plenty of members who can tell you some pretty sad stories about how booze can/has ruined lives and families as if can become easily abused.

So it's a personal choice and flavor I guess

Sonicomsk
October 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM
It's not bad for your health if you won't drink a lot.

Michael75
October 24th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I'm sort of split on whether it should even be legal or not. For example, when i go out to night clubs I drink alcohol to gain confidence to talk to girls easier lolz. However, its so fucking dangerous. According to stats, alcohol (misuse) costs the NHS £3 billion a year on average - thats fucking wild. I honestly do not see how drugs like LSD, DMT and Psilocybin Mushrooms are illegal and alcohol is legal. No one has died from LSD, DMT or shrooms (by died i mean overdoses, only one person has died due to LSD since 1994, there's been no cases of death from DMT or shrooms.) Of course though, if these drugs were legal like alcohol chances are they'd just be abused the same way as alcohol. So yeah idk, literally could go on all day about how alcohol maybe shouldn't be legal, and psychedelic drugs should be. Still gonna get lamped every time i go out, and i'm also gonna experiment further with psychedelics, so it doesn't matter to me lol.

Neeplin
November 6th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Alcohol will cause liver cirrhosis,where the alcohol will stimulate acid secretion in the stomach, first resulting in more gastric ulcers and also lead to the destruction of liver cells. The destroyed liver cells will then be replaced with fibrous tissue, which makes the liver less able to function. Over time, it will lead to liver failure and then death. So, stay away from alcohol

DefinitelyNotY
November 7th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Some alcohol is good, but only that, some not to the point of not being able to remember anything of the last night

Reece L
November 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Alcohol is bad and deadly. But 1 shot is ok. BOOZ connects to repeaters , which control breathing, heart rate, etc, when you drunk and drink to much, the respatory system fails and stops you breathing, and causing heart failure.

Cannabis is the most common drug ever, and I smoke it a lot. Cannabis connects to cannabonids, not respatory system. But cannabis races the heart rate like f. Lowers blood pressure. So technically, people with high blood pressure, can make use of it. And can cure anxiety. Or can make anxiety more worse. Thing is, cannabis cannot kill. Trust me. I've tried to overdose. Smoked 11 ounces, and ate like 2 weed brownies.

Stronk Serb
November 11th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I doubt there's an effective difference between whiskey and vodka and whatever else - it's all the same ethyl alcohol no matter what type of liquor or brand it is.

alcohol does have some health benefits when consumed in moderate amounts, true, but it's prohibited for minors because the impact of its abuse (which is very serious) has to be managed. binge drinking is very unhealthy and causes significant long-term damage, like even if you get into a program and get clean you will still suffer residual damage from the booze. I know a couple of former alcoholics, one of them a relative who hasn't touched liquor for 6 years and still has health problems like nerve tremors and random outbursts/memory problems. not a good time fam

Well, I am an alcoholic, although a starting one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, as an alcoholic. Yeah, it has benefits, but when you get addicted like I did, sobering up is a pain and the more you drink, the greater the damage. I mean I am 5 days sober and guess what? I get the shakes sometimes, I have moments where every single emotion occurs in my head at the same time. I am easy to piss off, I become a dick to say the least. That's the effect of 6 months of almost non-stop drinking had just on my body and mind, not to mention my grades, social life etc. My friend is helping me sober up. We talk regularly about this mess I made. Do you really want to risk this? I mean alcohol is quite probably one of the greatest gifts to humanity, but one of it's greatest curses. I fucked up so bad I had to throw away medicinal alcohol and a few booze bottles. Just by their presence they are taunting me.

dean96
November 23rd, 2016, 12:49 AM
Having 1 shot once in a while is not harmful to your health. But the increase consumption of alcohol leads to many health problems. Alcohol addiction is very dangerous as it can turn your life into a total disaster. One my uncles had been addicted to alcohol and he beats up his children and wife very badly. We forced to take him to an addiction rehab centre in Toronto (https://helixhealthcaregroup.com/spectrum/treatments/addiction-counseling/) and he is under treatment. One of his children is suffering from Rhabdophobia. I'm not against alcohol consumption but I'm against the way everyone consumes it.

bentheplayer
November 23rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Good lord. I think I should try clear this misconception. Alcohol is not good for you period. It is the other substances mainly anti-oxidants that happen to be found in wine/whiskey etc that might have some health benefits. Consumption of alcohol has long been statistically proven to be a risk factor for many kinds of diseases both chronic and terminal. Its mind blowing how people will go to such lengths to justify the consumption of alcohol. If you want those anti-oxidants there are loads of better sources such as berries. That said as alcohol is a risk factor, there are some who can drink loads and still not get any health issue. But do you think it is worth to take that risk?

Dames
November 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
in moderation it can be good

Svetlana2000
December 1st, 2016, 03:41 AM
i cant help it but i love it!

Hermes
December 1st, 2016, 07:59 PM
...According to stats, alcohol (misuse) costs the NHS £3 billion a year on average - thats fucking wild. I honestly do not see how drugs like LSD, DMT and Psilocybin Mushrooms are illegal and alcohol is legal. No one has died from LSD, DMT or shrooms (by died i mean overdoses, only one person has died due to LSD since 1994, there's been no cases of death from DMT or shrooms.)

I think it is only because alcohol and tobacco have been used for such a long time by such a large number of people that they are not illegal. I think if either was discovered today it would be illegal.

That said, there is a strong argument that if a significant number of people can use it responsibly, then why should they be deprived of that freedom because some people do not moderate their consumption?

Also, prohibition has been tried. It resulted in the supply of alcohol, and the provision of places to consume it, being taken over by organised crime and the quality of product being reduced. The resulting crime and gang wars resulted forced the abandonment of prohibition. Today some people claim that it is time to admit having lost the war on all recreational drugs and allow them to be sold legally. This would, the proponents claim, improve the quality and reduce the price and therefore avoid much of the secondary crime associated with use: disputes over supply and payment and stealing to fund a habit.

Alcohol will cause liver cirrhosis,where the alcohol will stimulate acid secretion in the stomach, first resulting in more gastric ulcers and also lead to the destruction of liver cells. The destroyed liver cells will then be replaced with fibrous tissue, which makes the liver less able to function. Over time, it will lead to liver failure and then death. So, stay away from alcohol

Cirrhosis is a chronic (long term) effect of high consumption. I don't have a typical figure for how much the consumption would have to be but it is certainly much higher than, for example having a glass of wine with each meal.

Getting rolling drunk every night of the week for twenty years would be much more likely to cause it. Also, by the time it becomes apparent that so much of the liver has been damaged it has too little working capacity to do its job it is too late.

everlong
December 1st, 2016, 10:25 PM
It's good in moderation I suppose. While I couldn't think of much benefits to drinking it, there's nothing wrong with a little bit here and there.

Brooke117
December 9th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Its good and bad. Ive been drunk b4 and had a good time but if u drink to much you also get sick.

messid
December 10th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I think it's like coffee or anything else, just drink in moderation! My dad drinks whiskey sometimes, but he lets me try a little bit (like a sip) now and then, just so that I know what I'm missing out on... and so that I don't turn into one of those kids who was blocked from alcohol completely and then goes crazy on it in college, hahah

Flapjack
December 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I personally loveeeee alcohol so I am probably a little biased xD In extremes it can be bead for your health and if you get aggressive when you're drunk then I would avoid it but other than that alcohol is awesome xD I am super shy so I love it because it allows me to actually talk to people and have loads f fun at parties :)

Katrinchen
December 10th, 2016, 10:02 AM
i think its like with all - too much is really bad ;)

Brieftime
December 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I shall tell you that alcohol is good for you in small amounts, drink too much you get drunk and do silly things. You also can get a 'Beer gut' if you drink lots every day.

drinking has not killed me yet so your safe!

I wouldn't call drinking and driving silly. More like people do stupid stuff while drinking. Ever hear the expression " here hold my beer and watch this"? Nothing good comes from that except sometimes yes a good laugh.

dude_g
December 11th, 2016, 04:20 PM
It damages your liver if you abuse it

Pyromaniac27
December 18th, 2016, 03:07 AM
I don't think it's bad, it's your choice whether you Do or don't use it

garfield221
January 4th, 2017, 06:11 PM
its not good at all

Bob billy
January 7th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Alcohol brings friends together, you can make friends over a drink. It can also destroy a persons life

Bontigo Papi .
January 7th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Alcohol is never good when consumed in large quantities . Might have to do research since alcohol has a few medical benefits such as being an alternative for disinfectant .

SWEET_SARAH
January 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I'm not going to lie I love alcohol. but I HATE the feeling when you stop drinking for a while. The side effects can be bad! :/

lesathomas
September 28th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Hi, people must not drink alcohol. Yes! They can drink wine, beer, vodka that does not matter. But alcohol is very dangerous effects on a personís health and their activities. You can see many changes on your body and on your simple activities daily.

Not here
September 28th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I know a lot of people drink alcohol socially, but as many others have said it's a matter of moderation. I don't drink it myself, but I know some people who don't know when to stop and things go badly wrong. It makes me wary.

Living For Love
September 28th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Please don't bump old threads. :locked: